Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Snakezilla1

Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

Post by Snakezilla1 »

Hi any advice I'm interested in buying a new or nearly new Brompton. I recall when they bring out new models or colour s they sell others off bit cheaper. Thankyou from Keith
Last edited by Graham on 30 Oct 2015, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Claireysmurf

Re: Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

Post by Claireysmurf »

I bought a new Brompton last weekend. Je James had a small number in stock with only one reduced IIRC.
Brompton seem to be pushing towards built to order. My S6L in white with extended seat post and firm suspension block was a lucky find. I didn't fancy a six week wait
Snakezilla1

Post by Snakezilla1 »

Hi thanks . I looked on Brompton site after I posted. Yes I see there pushing the build thing . I looked on eBay However I've never purchased an item like that bit cautious. Thanks for your post
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bromptons sell for pretty good money used; if you are buying used than I'd suggest that you need to vet the PO at least as well as the bike.

Some organisations get a blanket discount with some bike stores (eg Evans) and this can apply as well as other discounts and offers; thus by the time you add it all up you can sometimes get a healthy overall discount.

BTW there are about five different discounted Bromptons here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clearance-zone-dept756_pg1/#filterkey=brand&page=1

thus if you particularly want a bright pink one with a SON generator, you're set.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

If there's any ex-demo ones at the big online bike shops it will show up here, but check regularly as they go pretty quick. http://bikesy.co.uk/s/brompton/

There was a very scuffed up, heavily discounted brompton at the recent Evans marquee sale, could be worth calling their Gatwick warehouse branch to see if it's still around.

Unfortunately the Bromptons really hold their value, so any new looking ones at a big discount will go very quickly.
Snakezilla1

Post by Snakezilla1 »

I'm going to build the Brompton. Not yet decided on colour yet . May be black. They certainly hold there price. Thanks for all your help . Kind regards. Keith
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

At some stage maybe the ones from the brompton hire outlets will be sold off cheap second-hand?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

At Evans CTC members get 10% off.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Snakezilla1

Post by Snakezilla1 »

al_yrpal wrote:At Evans CTC members get 10% off.

Al

Will contact Evans first. Great forum thanks to all
nullemont

Post by nullemont »

Brompton will be pushing 2016 bikes into stores now.Its not been a brilliant year for bike sales so far so if you decide which Brompton you want and ring round a few dealers you may find they have a 2015 or earlier Brompton they want to get rid of cheap.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I went to the Evans Warehouse sale at Sheffield today. They had a couple of Bromptons reduced. You can only buy them in person though. It's on until Sunday. There may be others in other parts of the country.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I bought a Brompton on behalf of a relative earlier this year because she doesn't use the internet and wanted me to search for the best deals for her.

There weren't any really. I discussed this with a local Brompton dealer and he said the price is fixed and if you sell them cheap the company won't give you any more to sell.

How true this is I don't know.
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

You can normally by them well in the second hand market, try eBay you'd be surprised the prices you can get a nearly new model for. I bought one on behalf of my neighbours last year and saved about 40% on new.
Snakezilla1

Post by Snakezilla1 »

Hi all purchased new Brompton from Evans . And got discount would not of known had not advice from forum , went for black . Thanks Keith