Good quality tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mullinsm

Good quality tent

Post by mullinsm »

I've been using a Vango Banshee 200 tent for the last 3 years and have found it to be pretty good. It only cost about £100 and it's fully weatherproof, a doddle to erect, not too heavy at around 5lbs and has plenty of room for me and my gear.

However, it's beginning to show signs of age and I'm looking at possible replacements. I would ideally like something even lighter if possible and which gives more usable height for sitting up etc. The MSR Hubba HP looks like it might fit the bill, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a good quality, lightweight tent?
al_yrpal

Re: Good quality tent

Post by al_yrpal »

Wild Country Zephros 1 or 2?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

you need to define your idea of light and price range to get anything meaningful!

have a look at http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... elters-c25 for some real quality kit but also check out brands such as Vaude, my own brand of choice :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Eureka Spitfire Solo. The lighter you go, the more you need to spend and the less robust the kit tends to be. Unless you go down the tarp route of course....b
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

How about the Luxe Mini Peak II? £130 or so.
Lighter than Banshee if I recall?
Gets good reviews.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I did own a copy of the vango banshee 200.
For a six footer it was a lot less useful and comfortable than the "Eureka Spitfire"
The spitfire is a very good tent and I also have a "Tiger Paws" pro action / hike lite tent which is for the measly £15 or so argos sold it for, fantastic.
They both are of the same design and are probably copys of the hubas etc.

If you bought a mountain tent then its quality comes at a price and are always heavier too.

I like the look of the Vango helix / zenith...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

There's a lot of variables you haven't specified. IMO the most important of which is how you like to camp. Are you someone who goes on a cycling holiday and uses the tent as somewhere to sleep? Or are you someone who goes on a camping holiday and uses the bike to get from one site tot he next? Or somewhere in between. Summer or year round? On or off sites?
I like to have long days riding, often arriving in the dark, sometimes off site, I like to comfortably sit up in a tent, I like two doors so I can keep one area clear, I dislike a flappy tent, I like something quite free standing, and I prefer to sleep across the door. All these things I'd pretty much decided before I went looking for a tent, they are what makes my choice of tent perfect for me but maybe not for you. Or, you could just say a tent's a tent, if it keeps you dry and doesn't fall down that's all you need, get whatever's in the sale.
khain

Post by khain »

PH wrote:I like to have long days riding, often arriving in the dark, sometimes off site, I like to comfortably sit up in a tent, I like two doors so I can keep one area clear, I dislike a flappy tent, I like something quite free standing, and I prefer to sleep across the door. All these things I'd pretty much decided before I went looking for a tent, they are what makes my choice of tent perfect for me but maybe not for you.

What tent did you choose?
PH

Post by PH »

Terra Nova 2.2, no longer made. After eight years it's showing some signs of wear but I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it.
I haven't seen anything with such big wide doors, the best feature
ImageFugeres campsite by Paul, on Flickr
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'd say go and have a crawl around in lots of options and see what appeals. People have different boat-floating points on tents, and that I like such-and-such may well be anathema to someone else and they like something that I'm ambivalent about.

Paper specs and recommendations are useful for shortlisting, but there's nothing like being in a real example to tell you if it really works or not for you. There are lots of tents about that are proven good designs that do what's needed, but I just don't like them. I own tents that are proven goo designs that other people just don't like.

Aside from shops with a good stock and space to pitch, "honeypot" campsites are good places to check out options. Ask the owners what they think and if you can have a look.

Back to the specifics in the original, the Hubba HP is good but after a Banshee 200 you might miss a bit of lateral inner space: it's pretty narrow. The Hubba Hubba HP is the two-person version, lighter than your Banshee and has a lot more space and two doors/porches, which I value even solo.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

PH wrote:I haven't seen anything with such big wide doors, the best feature

Wide enough for you?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

As others have said it is a personal choice. Prior to last year I spent over 60 nights a year in my tents and always preferred tunnel tents with extra porch area. These gave me the best space for weight ratio and room to sit out a bad weather day. My overall preference is the Hilleberg Nammatj GT model.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you are doing extended tours when your spending weeks in a tent then I would consider that space is important, as would be full quality with robustness.

But for one or two days you can get by with less.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

pjclinch wrote:
PH wrote:I haven't seen anything with such big wide doors, the best feature

Wide enough for you?

That looks lovely, but there's a difference between being able to roll a wall up and a door. I can open or close my tent up as in the photo above without getting out of bed. I haven't really been searching and there may well be tents like the Solar 2.2 with doors like that, if anyone knows of one I'd be pleased to hear about it.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I've a Luxe Minipeak for milder weather & a Terra Nova Voyager for the winter & extreme weather.