Brake Levers - Reverse Pull???

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pickerd1

Brake Levers - Reverse Pull???

Post by pickerd1 »

Hello,
Unless I have missed something all the reverse pull brake levers on the market have bar end fixings (all but a Jtek clamp on lever which are £40 each). These levers are for the Aero / Tri bar market where there are effectively 4 bar ends for use with brake levers and shifters.
I'm interested in have both brake levers and gear shifters on bullhorn bars.

Can standard levers (e.g. those used on the flats of drop bars as a second set of levers) be used in reverse?

This means that the action of lever pushes the cable outer rather pulls the inner - is this ok?

Cheers
pickerd

Re: Brake Levers - Reverse Pull???

Post by pickerd »

I may be wrong here. Looking at the tektro RL726 - they appear to push the cable outer when mounted normally. This means they will pull the inner when mounted in reverse. Could be a result.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pretty much any 'interrupter' brake lever will work for you, I think, since it would normally be mounted with cable outer both sides, and one side (either side) can be substituted for a cable nipple instead.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:pretty much any 'interrupter' brake lever will work for you, I think, since it would normally be mounted with cable outer both sides, and one side (either side) can be substituted for a cable nipple instead.

cheers

+1 - i have seen them set up on singlespeeds in this way
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I have used an old style drop bar lever (the ones where the cable came out the top to hang your washing on! ) with the inner cable nipple located in the top and the outer cable in the location for the nipple. The outer cable was then run down the lever and taped to the bars. There may be a pic on Sheldons site. It was on a fixed wheel winter bike with upside down drops with the hooks cut off. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D