NCN 23 closure

basingstoke123

NCN 23 closure

Post by basingstoke123 »

Sustrans NCN 23 from Reading to Southampton via Basingstoke will be closed at Basingstoke due to a road closure.

If this will or might affect you, then please make your concerns known.

Dates: from 26 October, for 6 months (or 20 weeks according to the signs at the location).
Location: Cufaude Lane, as it leaves Basingstoke, north (towards Bramley). This is part of NCN 23.
The published detour will be via Sherfield on Loddon and the A33. This busy main road is not suitable as an alternative for a national cycle route, besides being several miles further. The closure will include cyclists, although the developer has said they hope to re-open to cyclists and pedestrians earlier than to motor traffic (which is good), but could not say how long cyclists would be affected. They were unaware this is a national cycle route.

Details of the official notice on the Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council website:
https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/rte.aspx?id=307

The contact given on this notice is Tony Munro on 01883 346464 (who actually works for the developer, Croudace, not for BDBC or Hampshire County Council). No email given on the official notice, but on the Croudace website, contact email: info@croudace.co.uk

The original plans, if you are interested, can be found on-line:

http://planning.basingstoke.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ZZZTBCCRBJ788

Application number: BDB/69637
Realignment of Cufaude Lane and associated landscaping
Taylors Farm, Taylors Lane, Sherfield-On-Loddon, Hook, RG27 0JF
This was approved in 2009, valid for 3 years (presumably it has been renewed).

(edit: correct spelling of Cufaude)
Last edited by basingstoke123 on 4 Nov 2015, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: NCN 23 closure

Post by gaz »

Flagged up to Sustrans who may (or may not) mark it on their on-line mapping.

Thanks for the heads up.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sustrans Ranger - Protecting Hobbits from Nazgûl on the National Cycle Network.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Useful to know, but why divert via the A33?

From Basingstoke to Bramley, why not via Sherbourne St John and Vyne Road?

Going from Southampton or Winchester to Reading, I would not pass through either Basingstoke or Bramley, I'd pass a few miles west of Basingstoke, going through either Oakley or North Oakley.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

jgurney wrote:Useful to know, but why divert via the A33?

From Basingstoke to Bramley, why not via Sherbourne St John and Vyne Road?

Going from Southampton or Winchester to Reading, I would not pass through either Basingstoke or Bramley, I'd pass a few miles west of Basingstoke, going through either Oakley or North Oakley.

Agree with both comments (except I live in Basingstoke).

Sherbourne St John and Vyne Road would be a much better alternative than the A33 for cyclists (not cars), although both will introduce several miles detours for anyone in Chineham and that area. As this is a signposted route, a suitable well signed diversion is required. The whole point of a signed route is to help those who do not know the area. Like many others, I am quit happy to find my own routes, but signed routes through a town you don't know well can be very helpful (if only the sign posting was better - but still better than nothing).

However, the diversion given is for cars (etc) and has failed to consider cyclists. Basingstoke has never considered cyclists, even when temporarily closing a cycle route! On previous (recent) closures affecting cyclists, the response has been - 'walk' (not possible this time).

Ideally the developer should maintain cycle and pedestrian routes during the roadworks. Yes, this might be inconvenient, but could be done, if planned for. At the south end of the road closure, the junction connecting to the back of the business park will be kept open all the time. To me, this seems more difficult than keeping a cycle route open.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

Update:

Cufaude Lane is now closed.

Croudace (the developer) acknowledges that the signposted diversion along the A33 is unsuitable for cyclists. They promised that an alternative route suitable for cyclists would be provided, and the signs for this would be in place by the start of the road closure. This has not happened.

Sustrans have updated their on-line map (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-23) showing the break in NCN23, with warnings to follow the signposted diversions. There is no way the A33 is suitable or safe for a national cycle route!

An alternative route across the field on the other side of the railway, just for the length of the actual road closure, is being considered.

Ironically, Basingstoke council are currently engaging Sustrans to help develop a cycling strategy (see https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/cyclingstrategy2015).
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

The Sustrans site indicates that NCN 23 is cut also on The St at Bramley and doesn't restart until Minchens Lane. It is not a very helpful notice from a sustainable web site!
My question is "Is this correct?". If so the option seems to be to continue to Bramley Corner and then head North (if heading towards Reading).
Would you agree with that?
I had intended to catch a train to Basingstoke with some buddies on Saturday and ride to Reading and back. Not sure if its worth it now if much of the route is diverted.
Thanks basingstoke 123 - your post much more helpful than the professionals' one.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

manybikes wrote:The Sustrans site indicates that NCN 23 is cut also on The St at Bramley and doesn't restart until Minchens Lane. It is not a very helpful notice from a sustainable web site!
My question is "Is this correct?". If so the option seems to be to continue to Bramley Corner and then head North (if heading towards Reading).
Would you agree with that?
I had intended to catch a train to Basingstoke with some buddies on Saturday and ride to Reading and back. Not sure if its worth it now if much of the route is diverted.
Thanks basingstoke 123 - your post much more helpful than the professionals' one.

Openstreetmap shows where the break is. It's just a short distance, but leaves a 2mile dead end. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.3017/-1.0812&layers=C

A better alternative than the offical diversion on the A33 is to go via Sherborne St John, then along the Vyne Road to Bramley. It comes out just a couple hundred yards from the Cufaude Road.

The more difficult bit is escaping Basingstoke to Sherborne St John. From the railway station: go under the railway (exit station with shopping centre ahead, this is on your right), up Chapel Hill, fork right at the mini roundabout up Sherborne Road. Cross Oakridge Road, and through underpass (under the ringroad), to Abbey Road. Turn right (east) onto Abbey Road and follow around and down to Popely Way. Turn right (east) onto Popley Way, then left at traffic lights into Chineham Lane. Follow road around (curves left, then right). Just past school on your left, turn left into Chineham Lane - and you finally leave built up Basingstoke (yes, I known there are two left turns into Chineham Lane). Follow country road to Sherborne St John. Turn right, and follow road to Bramley (going past The Vyne house) - you have a couple inclines. And no, this is not a signposted 'cycle route'. There are bits off cycle path in Popley, but easier (OK - still complicated) to follow the road if you don't know Basingstoke. Or a similar route - sat nav on your phone will be very helpful. (But do check I haven't got any lefts and rights mixed up!)
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Thank you basingstoke 123. Roughly what I thought. The Sustrans mapping has warning markers right into Bramley for some reason and that contradicted what I read in your earlier posts.
Thanks again
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just chanced upon this on Cyclescape: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/1952-c ... rthern-end

Has the developer put in a shorter diversion and then closed it, or did someone mistake an informal path for an official diversion? :?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

gaz wrote:Just chanced upon this on Cyclescape: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/1952-c ... rthern-end

Has the developer put in a shorter diversion and then closed it, or did someone mistake an informal path for an official diversion? :?

The developer never implemented a cycle diversion, despite assurances that they would. NCN23 is still effectively closed.

There is now a short diversion. A narrow fenced in 'path' (mud pit) along the edge of the field on the opposite side of the railway line to the closed road.It is only suitable when wearing wellingtons due to the mud. However, until very recently, the North end, where it joined the lane just outside Basingstoke, was still blocked by high barrier! After more phone calls, the developer eventually finished the last 0.5m and there is now a gap through the high barrier at the top end. Access at the south end is via the railway bridge to Razors Farm. There is usually access across the road works.

It is NOT suitable for cycling (unless you can float above mud). It is also far too narrow - would be impossible to pass anyone. But this is unlikely to be a problem.

If you are walking, then you could try climbing over the barbed wire fence at the south end, and through the hedge to the top end. But the field is still very water logged. Obviously this is not a recommendation. The recommendation is to avoid the area completely.

The road works at the top end (where the road goes under the railway) look nearly finished, so that might soon be re-opened to pedestrians and cyclists.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

Update: Good news! route is now passable if walking or cycling (still closed to motor vehicles, and difficult for anything wider than a conventional cycle).

There is now a path through the roadworks at the 'top end' where the road goes under the railway bridge as it enters Basingstoke.

The bypass footpath (mud bath) is still accessible from the north end (follows the edge of a very waterlogged field). However, access from the south end (Razor Farm railway bridge) is now boarded up. So, don't try to use it!