Interesting ride to work

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
psvrichard

Interesting ride to work

Post by psvrichard »

Now the clocks have changed and the rain has held off a little I've made the effort to cycle to work starting with just Fridays. It's now a 12 or 13 mile commute each way. Last week the outbound journey was 59 mins and the homeward one 47 mins. The reason? Outbound is all uphill!

Today I did the outbound journey in about 54 mins. The reason? I was a minute or so up on last week but I was riled by another cyclist. A lycra clad guy on a racer overtook me on a hill so I said "good morning" in a cheery way and he blanked me. I then proceeded to tailgate him for the next two miles until he turned off. I don't think he knew I was behind him and although it's a tad childish I felt loads better.

Later on in the journey a mini bus hrtled past me and then screeched to a halt half on the path and half on the road right at some lights. A lorry was overtaking me as the bus pulled up and couldn't get through the gap left as there were cars turning right in a filter lane. The lorry driver kindly let me go for the gap rather and allowed me to go round the bus rather than box me in. This was courteous driving and showed good foresight on the part of the lorry driver.

We'll see what time I do tonight but I'll be looking for an improvement on 47 mins. Clearly I need to get upset at 4-50 today and I'll fly home.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brill!

When I commuted, I used to fly down to work. It gave me a buzz and really set me up for the rigors of the day.

Coming home (up hill for me!), I used to get rid of my frustrations built up during the day, having pretend arguments with staff and planning tomorrow's attack on the idiots that worked for me!

There's a little bit of me that is jealous of folk that cycle-commute - I miss it now I'm "retired".

Happy days ....
Mick F. Cornwall
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

Good my commute is about the same 12 miles each bit of hill on the last stretch into work, I do I guess two to three times a week at the moment do it around 40 to 50 mins depends how I feel weather and etc.

And yes it makes you feel so much better today cheated a bit got train in the cycles 2 miles to work but cycle all the way home tonight
psvrichard

Post by psvrichard »

Not sure if the bike will be up to the journey home. Had to put it under the cycle canopy but the main use for this contraption is not to shield bikes from the weather but to facilitate smokers!

What condition will my bike be in after a day surrounded by filthy smoke? Good job it is a downhill ride!
gilesjuk

Re: re

Post by gilesjuk »

peter236uk wrote:Good my commute is about the same 12 miles each bit of hill on the last stretch into work, I do I guess two to three times a week at the moment do it around 40 to 50 mins depends how I feel weather and etc.

And yes it makes you feel so much better today cheated a bit got train in the cycles 2 miles to work but cycle all the way home tonight

Funny how similar we all are, my commute is also about 12 miles. I do also have the option of taking a train for about 8 minutes.

However I find that the time I spend waiting for it (have to leave early as I may need to stop and repair a puncture) I can cycle almost all the way to work.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I was lucky enough to be able to commute by bike for the whole of my 43 year working life. Initially 16 miles each way, then 5. For the last 17 years I was in a cycle-friendly environment - changing facilities so able to wear cycle specific clothes. This enabled me to make detours of various lengths mornings and/or evenings so by Friday I had always done 100 miles.

Having lost the discipline of having to ride every day regardless of the weather I now struggle to do 100 miles in a full week.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i do 20 miles dailyon country B roads/ town roads

the first 8 miles to work is under 30mins
next 2miles are about 15mins thro town to college
another 2 miles later again
then 8miles home which prob takes 40/45mins...

i always try & pace with the 'lycra clad guy' who flys past you on his thousand pound bike...lol
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

lauriematt wrote:

i always try & pace with the 'lycra clad guy' who flys past you on his thousand pound bike...lol

I am that "guy" and some days the local postwoman on her standard post office fly's by me.
PW

Post by PW »

A couple of weeks ago the MTB got its first puncture through a Marathon+ after 4,500 miles. I couldn't be bothered to fix it so the tourer came out to play :lol: Since then I've been commuting 135+ miles over some serious hills every week instead of 100 miles along the flat towpath. I'm having a lot more fun. :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Gone from commuting on road to off road. It takes longer but it's more fun and only a couple of miles of riding on roads.

Did it on my full time off road bike at first but liking it so much I've stuck off road tyres on my commuting bike (it's MTB based). It has no suspension so it will be a bumpier ride but I'll be able to stand up and give it some on the hills.

Considering converting my commuter to singlespeed to get even fitter :)
psvrichard

Post by psvrichard »

I've been restricting my cycle commutes to Fridays because this is "dress down" day in the office. Cycled in today though cos the car has broken down. Was slightly down on my usual time as I was carrying the lap top as well as additional shoes. The laptop kept my clothes flat and I was still well inside the hour.

Had I gone by car at the same time I would have taken just as long as the building work along my route through Wakefield is causing awful delays for cars. Can't wait until it's done because there will be a new cycling/walking bridge in place.