Comedy road sign

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tinnishill

Comedy road sign

Post by Tinnishill »

Rozell.jpeg
Well, I thought it was funny. I presume that they have their red circles mixed up with their red triangles.
Agitate, educate, organise.
kwackers

Re: Comedy road sign

Post by kwackers »

You'd be surprised how many folk think a triangle with a bicycle in it means 'no cycling'.
Probably done by one of those.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

In every other context a red circle needs a line through it to be a prohibition.

I always look at speed limit signs and think "the speed limit is actually 29moh, since that is a prohibition on travelling at 30. Of course if I enter said area at 35 then I can't slow down either ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm not sure most people would spot that a triangle should have been used. Someone has clearly blundered, and I bet they already know it.

A colleague of mine once went to a public event with display boards that contained an embarrassing mistake that he was unaware of. His project consisted of planting a crop of willow on disused land that would be built on in years to come, to make it look better in the meantime and get some bio-fuel from it at little cost. The project was called Wasteland to Woodland. Being in Wales, a version in Welsh was required, so he paid for a translation service. Only when the boards were up and the public were walking past did a Welsh speaker point out the the Welsh version read "Woodland to Wasteland"! We cried with laughter when he came back to the office and told us.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

This Welsh one has been discussed on the forum before http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ed-2321082 :lol:

Some service stations have possibly the worst road signs in existence. I've never understood why they can't use the standard ones used on the road. IIRC the Highways Agency felt the same way and were going to do something about it. On the rare cases I've used them in recent years I haven't seen any improvement.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pwa wrote:I'm not sure most people would spot that a triangle should have been used. Someone has clearly blundered, and I bet they already know it.

A colleague of mine once went to a public event with display boards that contained an embarrassing mistake that he was unaware of. His project consisted of planting a crop of willow on disused land that would be built on in years to come, to make it look better in the meantime and get some bio-fuel from it at little cost. The project was called Wasteland to Woodland. Being in Wales, a version in Welsh was required, so he paid for a translation service. Only when the boards were up and the public were walking past did a Welsh speaker point out the the Welsh version read "Woodland to Wasteland"! We cried with laughter when he came back to the office and told us.

Welsh requirements create plenty of opportunities! Was the one about a road sign reading (in Welsh) "I am out of the office, for urgent issues please contact my manager" apocryphal I wonder?
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:Welsh requirements create plenty of opportunities! Was the one about a road sign reading (in Welsh) "I am out of the office, for urgent issues please contact my manager" apocryphal I wonder?

Sadly not: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

[XAP]Bob wrote:In every other context a red circle needs a line through it to be a prohibition.....

Not according to my Highway code: only no right/left/U etc turn signs are the odd ones out with both a red circle and diagonal, others are just a red circle.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:In every other context a red circle needs a line through it to be a prohibition.....

Not according to my Highway code: only no right/left/U etc turn signs are the odd ones out with both a red circle and diagonal, others are just a red circle.

I think Bob means in non-highway contexts eg. the no smoking sign
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bicycler wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:

I think Bob means in non-highway contexts eg. the no smoking sign

I do indeed
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Erm.....................

Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/