How can people chuck £800 away?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

Re: How can people chuck £800 away?

Post by hondated »

Dave W wrote:I've been watching several bikes on Ebay - some similar to mine with adverts like "immaculate condition, ridden twice, frame still has protective plastic on it ......." then they sell for about £800 less than they paid for it less than six months ago. Are these people nuts or just loaded?
Could be I'm nuts for buying a new bike from a dealer a year ago I suppose - the depreciation would appear to be horrendous on bicycles - why should that be?

I don't know his son but my mate has been telling me all Summer the his son had brought a bike at the beginning of summer and has still not yet used it.
I am tempted to get him to ask his son how much he wants for it but in stead I tell him to tell his boy to get out on it. No doubt some one is going to get a bargain very soon.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

There are many reasons, I have a brand new Dawes Clubman in the garage that has never been ridden. I suffer from Spinal Stenosis, Psoriatic Arthritis and DDD and have had spinal surgery and haven't been able to ride for some time. I also have three other bikes just sat there but selling seems like giving up.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Your conundrum is my conundrum. And I wish I could stop asking such questions. Sometimes you/me can't make much sense of things. Then,put another way,you can. When I've given up trying to make sense of seemingly non-sense I then try to reconcile myself with the philosophy of,Thank G not allof us of live the same lives,wouldn't that be boring. That thought is the best I can do.

I know of people with garages full of bikes they can't possibly use.

I know of people walking walking around town with thousands of pounds about their bodies. Others with it stuffed(hidden)in their houses.

Can't make sense of it all. Then again...
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

All very deep and meaningful, for a Sunday morning! People spend money on all sorts of things, toys, sports, jewelry, whatever. To some, a complete waste of money, to others important/necessary, who's right? Nobody can possibly know. Back to importat stuff, I bought a lecci bike three years ago, as physio after spectacularly bad accident, Mrs suggested it, I thought it was expensive. Now, back to reasonable fitness and planning to sell it - what she called, correctly, 'worth its weight in gold'! I will probably sell for a quarter, maybe a third of its purchase price. How do put a value on this transaction?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Swallow wrote:There are many reasons, I have a brand new Dawes Clubman in the garage that has never been ridden. I suffer from Spinal Stenosis, Psoriatic Arthritis and DDD and have had spinal surgery and haven't been able to ride for some time. I also have three other bikes just sat there but selling seems like giving up.

What? So you bought the Dawes knowing that you had the ailments mentioned above and that you had 3 other bikes that weren't being ridden?

Is this true, or am I missing something?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Phil Fouracre wrote: I will probably sell for a quarter, maybe a third of its purchase price. How do put a value on this transaction?

Depreciation?
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

De Sisti wrote:
Swallow wrote:There are many reasons, I have a brand new Dawes Clubman in the garage that has never been ridden. I suffer from Spinal Stenosis, Psoriatic Arthritis and DDD and have had spinal surgery and haven't been able to ride for some time. I also have three other bikes just sat there but selling seems like giving up.

What? So you bought the Dawes knowing that you had the ailments mentioned above and that you had 3 other bikes that weren't being ridden?

Thought the op was going to sort out the back problem, sort of an incentive to get back on the bike and it was a good deal. The other ailments are largely controlled by medication. I was riding Sportives and Audax events. Still hoping
'Kernow bys Vyken'
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

De Sisti wrote:

As Swallow just explained, sometimes you need hope. And a touch of empathy wouldn't go amiss either.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

kylecycler wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

As Swallow just explained, sometimes you need hope. And a touch of empathy wouldn't go amiss either.

Ahh, I see. Apologies for being nosey.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

No problem De Sisti, doesn't make sense to me either :roll:
'Kernow bys Vyken'
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I'm sticking up for Swallow...tho he needs no sticking-up for. Also,I know no one has critiqued him. Nevertheless,sometimes you need that bit of hope...and,after all, he aint hurting anyone. This is all transference(by me!)as my back isn't quite right(after back strengthening exercises went wrong!),and cos it's winter and I'm a bit fed up. Swallow,I hope you get there. Sunshine and Spring on its way always helps me. Steady is the best advice.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

tyreon wrote:I'm sticking up for Swallow...tho he needs no sticking-up for. Also,I know no one has critiqued him. Nevertheless,sometimes you need that bit of hope...and,after all, he aint hurting anyone. This is all transference(by me!)as my back isn't quite right(after back strengthening exercises went wrong!),and cos it's winter and I'm a bit fed up. Swallow,I hope you get there. Sunshine and Spring on its way always helps me. Steady is the best advice.

Thanks tyreon, weakness in the legs is the biggest problem at the moment so plenty of gym work and strengthening exercises. First thing I did after the op last November was to enter our Club Audax the following April, thinking I'd be sorted by then but it didn't happen. Fingers crossed for the coming year
'Kernow bys Vyken'
hondated

Post by hondated »

Swallow sorry to read that and your right in keeping them as who knows whether your health may hopefully improve and if it doesn't then looking at those bikes I am sure will remind you of those good times you had riding them.
I one worked with a young fella that use to ride a Yamaha R1 motorcycle until he was diagnosed with MS and was wheel chair bound but he was determined that he would never sell it as it held so many good memories for him.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

hondated wrote:

Swallow sorry to read that and your right in keeping them as who knows whether your health may hopefully improve and if it doesn't then looking at those bikes I am sure will remind you of those good times you had riding them.
I one worked with a young fella that use to ride a Yamaha R1 motorcycle until he was diagnosed with MS and was wheel chair bound but he was determined that he would never sell it as it held so many good memories for him.

Thank you hondated
'Kernow bys Vyken'
irc

Post by irc »

hondated wrote: but he was determined that he would never sell it as it held so many good memories for him.

Yes we are not always logical. I have a tourer which has taken me many places and has a load of memories. Being reluctant to risk parking it when doing local rides in the city I bought another bike. So I park my Spa Tourer in the city rather than the older scratched and worn bike. Logically the Spa Tourer should be the good bike in the shed .

As for ebaying things at a fraction of their new value. I agree anything is better than something sitting unused. I sold a pair of mountain boots after I realised after half a dozen outings they were just a fraction too small. On the other hand when I sold a tent for half the RRP I got my money back because I had bought it in a spectacularly good sale and it was a popular model which always sells second hand in good nick.