Toolkit in bottle holder area - any good products out there?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RideToWorky

Toolkit in bottle holder area - any good products out there?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya all,

do any products exist like this? In a bottle, to be put into a holder, or even as a toolkit direct mounted onto the frame?
Any experience of if they are any good?

Cheers
Martin
AlanW

Re: Toolkit in bottle holder area - any good products out th

Post by AlanW »

Here you go - HERE
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by rjb »

Pencil case from Ebay or the pound shop and add your own tools as needed.
Or cut the top off an old water bottle, hunt through your recycling for something suitable.

:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the best arrangement for commuting, (bearing in mind the OP's thoughts of rucksacks etc elsewhere) is to have a bag on the bike that comes off when you leave the bike. You keep your spare tube, tools, pump, lights etc all in a pocket in the bag. [If you have tools etc in a bottle cage they may just bounce out, rattle and drive you berserk, or get left on the bike and get nicked.]

Traditionally a saddlebag on a QD uplift works well but there are many alternatives including rack top bags; choose according to your required load capacity. A rucksack is a poor arrangement; I'll use one when riding an MTB offroad, but not otherwise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't commute, but I carry all the tools necessary for normal stuff.
Allen keys and spanners, two spare tubes, set of tyre levers, two CO2 inflator canisters, glasses cleaner wipes, and cloth and even a spare Li battery for my Garmin.

All fits (easily with room to spare) in one of these behind the saddle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wed ... addle-bag/
Clips on and off in a jiffy.
Mick F. Cornwall
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

AlanW wrote:Here you go - HERE

Good call!
Forgot about wiggle.
UK reviews from real people, rather than journos or web sites trying to sell you stuff!

Was hoping for real accounts here though, of people using this as a convenience commuting trick, to free up the seat stem for a rear light on a road bike bike, being used as a 2nd commuting bike etc. (No rear light on mine yet, as I have a top peak saddle bag toolkit in the way!)

Regards
Martin
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I use one of these.http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/tool-boxes/BTL-18LLL

I used to use one of those small shoulder/corner frame bags, but if it rains everything got wet.

The bottle thing is excellent, it takes a tube and all my tools, except adjustable mole type wrench. I use it all the time, including on tour. If leaving the bike anywhere dodgy, just remove and take with you.

I have 3 bottle brazeons, one for water, one for tools and one unused.

I like this idea as tools always on bike if you have them in your pannier, what do you so when on a day ride.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's the rear of my bike:
Note that I have a standard top tube and a short seat pin.
Note also, the rear light on the downtube. I also have a rear light that mounts on the RH seatstay if required.
Bike Rear.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
millimole

Post by millimole »

eBay - tactical bottle holders with Molle fittings - they fit perfectly, while the material is waterproof, they have drawstring closures, but not a problem in my experience. Also there are tactical pouches, which are the same size but with (non-waterproof) zip closures. The Molle fittings can be cut off if you don't think them helpful.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-ml-tool- ... 23995.html

Looks better then the wet-wipes contaimer I used to use a few years back!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

A little tip: When you pack your tool bottle, do so with a few lengths of rag or cloth strategically stuffed into place or wrapped around stuff to stop your tools, tyre levers, CO2 canisters or whatnot from rattling around and totally driving you crazy!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

for anti-rattle packing, foam-backed pan scourers work quite well. If you need to use your tools and your hands get dirty, you can get the worst off using the pan scourer too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
retsofkram

Post by retsofkram »

Elite super byasi
Looks like and almost matches my elite water bottle. Works well IMO when only 1 bottle is needed. If I need 2 bottles then the underseat bag same as Mick F is used
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Why not just use a standard water bottle? One with a wide neck - one like this? http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tacx-shi ... Gwod7X0APA

with the lid screwed on it's water proof - well, as long as you don't immerse it! low price, just put the tools and a small piece of hand cloth inside and it won't rattle!