Pair of d locks with same key

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
grani

Pair of d locks with same key

Post by grani »

Does anyone know where I could buy two or three d locks that use the same key?

I have seen some references online to Abus locks but am not sure where to buy them.
Scottish Scrutineer

Re: Pair of d locks with same key

Post by Scottish Scrutineer »

I think you need to order direct from Abus to get them on the same key.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Counter productive?

My thought has always to have two different lock types as that means that and miscreant has to have two sets of tools and hence decreases the chance of a successful theft
grani

Post by grani »

Cunobelin wrote:Counter productive?

My thought has always to have two different lock types as that means that and miscreant has to have two sets of tools and hence decreases the chance of a successful theft

Yes I agree but for me the issue is that I have a "locking station" for several bikes at home where the wife and I park 2/3 bikes and lock them together and to an anchor point. It would be nice if we could have one key instead of fumbling around for a specific lock in the dark.

The locks that I have need replacing as they are of questionable quality and I only have one key for a couple of them.

I know there are workarounds but having one master key for at least some locks would be convenient.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Abus do do keyed-alike locks but quickly looking at their site I can't see reference to cycle security being part of it.

http://www.abus.com/eng/Security-at-Home/Padlocks

Might be worth dropping them an email and ordering direct if possible.
grani

Post by grani »

Just in case anyone is curious about this I can report that I spoke to my LBS that sells Abus locks and they called the distributor to check.

Abus are indeed able to provide this service for some of their locks. The added cost of the locks is 10-20% and the lead time is approx. 4 weeks as they need to go into their production schedule.