Neuro surgeon states helmets saves lives!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tangled Metal

Neuro surgeon states helmets saves lives!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Fake Britain had a bit on fake cycle helmets. Cue test on real Giro and fake Giro helmet. Then visit to Neuro surgeon with impeccable sounding credentials (consultant at a Neuro centre in London) to look at many brain scans before looking at the fake helmet to say the outcome was the worst it could be. Then cut to the consultant saying a real helmet would save lives.

This is kind of a paraphrasing but you can guess how it really went.

Curb test.followed by flat surface of test on real Giro. Then the fake one didn't survive the kerb test. Split cleanly down the side into 2 pieces. That would have many the skull cracking at the side where big blood vessel is leading to blood at pressure pooling across the side of the head needing immediate treatment.

It's a BBC programme so might be on iPlayer later. It also tests fake motorcycle helmets where the visor would degrade to a level you can't see through well before the life the helmet should have according to the ECE standard. Plus the visor shattered in the impact test as well as the motorcycle helmet body.
mjr

Re: Neuro surgeon states helmets saves lives!

Post by mjr »

Wasn't this already broadcast? A good report spoiled by lack of details and an overenthusiastic neurosurgeon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
irc

Post by irc »

Poorly constructed fake helmet gives less protection than well built helmet. Who'd have thought it? Did the neuro surgeon say how many head injuries he dealt with from car occupants, walkers, etc? Think of the lives that could be saved!

Cyclists make up just over 100 of the roughly 2000 RTA fatals in the UK. Of the other 1900 fatalities - over 50% of car occupants suffer skull fractures. Of the pedestrians - 80% of their serious injuries are head injuries. If as helmet law advocates say wearing a helmet is a trivial thing to do why no campaign to save the far greater numbers of drivers and pedestrians a helmet would protect?

http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/wounds/blu ... ollisions/
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's a BBC programme so might be on iPlayer later.

This one I think.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Best wear one when you're walking down the road then.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How many Neuro-surgeons did it take to find a tv friendly one willing to say what they wanted? Just something I wonder about.

BTW imagine if they made helmet wearing mandatory in cars and for peds as well as for cyclists so there's no discrimination. Imagine such a country made up of helmet wearers. Then you'd have to look at the bathroom,kitchen and other areas of the home. Stairs! How would you protect against stairs? I've fallen down stairs before knocking myself out. Helmet for starters but walls with bubble wrap too. I put a huge dent in the wall with my head so walls are dangerous. Food! How many die of food poisoning? Bubble wrap food. Oh wait that won't work.

You know what what I'm going to die, you are too. TBH I've always said I'd rather die young doing what I love than not doing it because it's dangerous or risky. I've known people who've done that. Some have been young some old. They've certainly lived their lives well.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Tangled Metal wrote:How many Neuro-surgeons did it take to find a tv friendly one willing to say what they wanted? Just something I wonder about.

BTW imagine if they made helmet wearing mandatory in cars and for peds as well as for cyclists so there's no discrimination. Imagine such a country made up of helmet wearers. Then you'd have to look at the bathroom,kitchen and other areas of the home. Stairs! How would you protect against stairs? I've fallen down stairs before knocking myself out. Helmet for starters but walls with bubble wrap too. I put a huge dent in the wall with my head so walls are dangerous. Food! How many die of food poisoning? Bubble wrap food. Oh wait that won't work.

You know what what I'm going to die, you are too. TBH I've always said I'd rather die young doing what I love than not doing it because it's dangerous or risky. I've known people who've done that. Some have been young some old. They've certainly lived their lives well.

Blimey, just imagine that, We're all going to die! Never thought of that. If I was a student now, I would say that you had invaded my 'safe space' and traumatised me :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:BTW imagine if they made helmet wearing mandatory in cars and for peds as well as for cyclists so there's no discrimination. Imagine such a country made up of helmet wearers. Then ...

Crazy as it sounds, motoring and walking helmets are already available, with the same endorsements. See attached pictures. They fail the laugh test, yet reportedly, cycling helmets are worn by a third of UK cyclists. How has cycling gone so wrong?
Attachments
Pedestrian helmet (image from copenhagenize.com )
Pedestrian helmet (image from copenhagenize.com )
helmet_cphpedestrian.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Motoring helmet (image from copenhagenize.com )
Motoring helmet (image from copenhagenize.com )
helmet_motoring_demo.jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 908 times
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:You know what what I'm going to die, you are too.
I have no expectation nor intention of dying.
I expect and I intend to live forever.

Don't you?
Mick F. Cornwall
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup, I'm up for that :-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly! :D

Obviously, everything dies in the end.
It's just that I have no intention of dying at all.
If I die, it's completely unintentional.

I don't expect to die either. No doubt I will die eventually, but do I expect to?
Christmas is just around the corner and I expect it to come quicker than want it.
I expect the postman to bring me a parcel from Amazon in the next day or two.
I expect the cats to pester me to feed them shortly.
Looking at the weather forecast, I expect it will rain tomorrow.

I don't expect to die.
Mick F. Cornwall
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Try riding round here, you might change your mind!!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Tangled Metal wrote:Food! How many die of food poisoning?

Ban food I say. About 300 people a year in the UK die from choking on it. Think of all the lives that would be saved if people didn't eat! :shock:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:You know what what I'm going to die, you are too.
I have no expectation nor intention of dying.
I expect and I intend to live forever.

Don't you?

I don't expect to die or intend to die but like I said, i will die. You will die.

Within all reasonable realms of probability these two events will happen. Intention is nice but reality is death in the end.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:I don't expect to die or intend to die but like I said, i will die. You will die.
Within all reasonable realms of probability these two events will happen. Intention is nice but reality is death in the end.

No doubt I will die. Everything dies eventually.

You sound as if you find it inevitable and as though you look sort of forward to it and expect it.
Sort of fatalistic.

You may as well slash your wrists now and get it over with. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall