A9 Scotland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elizabeth_S

A9 Scotland

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Just a warning, since the Forth road bridge has closed, the amount of traffic on the A9 has double, possibly trebled, and it is absolutely hideously bad even in a car; lots of lorries. Perth was at a stand still yesterday (someone told me) and I can't get out of the town I live in (bypassed by the A9) easily at times by car (I'll use the train or bike and train). I know some people cycle the A9 and use the Keir roundabout, but it is far worse now than ever with many drivers who are not used to the route. And it's going to push more cars onto other smaller roads around here. The good news is that Scotrail have added more carriages to trains very quickly (all things considered).
DaveP

Re: A9 Scotland

Post by DaveP »

Excellent post.
It's not going to affect me at all. but it is very difficult to comprehend the scale of disruption that can be caused by road closures unless you are actually in the area.
So on behalf of all, Thank you!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

In a radio interview a transport representative when pushed by the interviewer wouldn't commit to agreeing that Scotrail would accept bikes on their trains during the disruption.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyclists use the A82 past Loch Lomond or the Old A90 to Perth. It's the fact that the Forth Road Bridge is out that'll cause the problem for cyclists.

I would think that the M90 is quiet coming up through Fife, but it'll be the A9 southwest of Perth that'll be horrendously busy from Stirling M9. A9 north of Perth should be as normal.

Am I wrong?
Mick F. Cornwall
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Cyclists use the A82 past Loch Lomond or the Old A90 to Perth.

Depends where they are coming from! End to enders are not the only cyclists in Scotland :)
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I've heard since that the A90 Dundee to Perth was bad on Friday also and on to the M90, and that the Friarton bridge was at a standstill as were roads through Perth. So not just Perth southwards, and also the Broxden roundabout is a bottle neck in ordinary circumstances. We'll have to see how it settles down in the next few days.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grandad wrote:
Cyclists use the A82 past Loch Lomond or the Old A90 to Perth.
Depends where they are coming from! End to enders are not the only cyclists in Scotland :)
No, of course not.
Silly me. :oops:

I was looking at the whole thing as an End2End and not as a domestic cyclist.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are even talking about reinstating the ferry, I believe.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The bridge opened in 1964 I think. We first drove over it in 1973 ......... only nine years later.
Mrs Mick F's parents stayed with us back then, and her father bought a book all about the building of this marvel of modern engineering.

It appears that the first member of the public to cross it was a sailor returning to Rosyth dockyard from a night out in Edinburgh. The roadway hadn't even been built and he shinned up and across the cables. :lol:

I wonder who will be the last member of the public to cross?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this article shows where the cracks are;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pictures-2cm-crack-shut-forth-6956428

IMHO to close the bridge to pedestrian and cyclist traffic appears to be something of an overreaction.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a little anecdote .........................

We lived up there - as I've often said.
One day, we walked across the bridge. Daughter1 maybe a year old in a pushchair - probably summer 1976? We took Sally the dog on a lead. We walked from our married quarters in Rosyth across the bridge to the service area/cafe on the south side and back.

Sally was VERY scared and very wary. In fact, I had to carry her for quite a while. Border collie!
Why?

She had a great difficulty with the vibration of the roadway and was very distressed. This was back 40years ago remember. Just imagine the traffic now in 2015. Just think how it's changed in 40 years. :shock:

The vibration was terrible back then as a pedestrian. Since then, I've only cycled across, and the vibration was only noticeable with heavy lorries passing, but as a pedestrian, any vehicle produces a vibration.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Just been correct by Mrs Mick F. :oops:
Daughter1 was walking. It therefore must have been 1977 or 1978.
Mick F. Cornwall
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

Oh mighty and imposing Forth Road Brig
Opened in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and sixty four
Alas a crack in your steelwork both wide and big
Could send cyclists, cars and lorries and more
tumbling into the silv'ry Forth
with a mighty roar.

(William Topaz McBicycle)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I am tempted to ask where the other six or seven McGonagallesque verses are,

- but I rather fear the consequences.... :shock:

cheers
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

The rest of the poem gets published when either (a) the bridge collapses, or (b) The Royal Society for Cycling Poets presents me with my Genesis Equilibrium 931.