Porridge - what is the difference?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tacascarow

Re: Porridge - what is the difference?

Post by Tacascarow »

Porridge, sliced banana & a generous dollop of good natural honey & made with full fat organic milk.
Food from the gods.
I can here the Scots massing at the border screaming "Bananas, honey NOOo!!!!"
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:Given the choice, a breakfast should consist of protein. Bacon and eggs is best.

You can stuff your porridge where the sun doesn't shine.

6 mornings a week - muesli or porridge and a banana for breakfast

I morning a week, bacon and eggs and a slice of Stornaway black pudding one week, and a pair of kippers and toast another week, etc.

But… on tour bacon eggs sausage tomatoes beans black pudding toast, - the lot every day if possible. Who needs energy drinks?

Plain rolled oats make the best porridge, the instant stuff is unsatisfying crap IMO.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Porridge made with Hamlyn's stoneground oatmeal is my favourite, and takes no longer to cook than using porridge oats.
Tacascarow wrote:Slight thread hijack but for those that use flame thrower type multifuel stoves.
How do you stop your oats from welding to the pan?

Keep stirring with a spoon or spurtle, and soak pan in cold water for fifteen minutes or so afterwards, no problem.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

porridge is better for the environment, too.... https://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/file ... oggatt.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Stornoway Black Pudding = God's own food.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Only the sacred milling ritual will give access to true porridge heaven.

Praise be to the Holy Groat.

PorridgeFanatic.jpg

Bonkers . . . Oh yes !
nez

Post by nez »

What's the advantage of milling them at home?
Graham

Post by Graham »

nez dans le guidon wrote:What's the advantage of milling them at home?

I used to think that the resulting porridge was better.
Catching the aromatic oils before they evaporate. **

Five years of tedious daily milling later I'm not so sure.

It is probably just a habit and a belief system.

One day I'll be brave enough to try 100% normal porridge oats again to try to test the difference.

Promising myself to get out a bit more. :wink:

** I think I probably made that bit up. :oops:
Ray

Post by Ray »

Graham wrote:Only the sacred milling ritual will give access to true porridge heaven.

Praise be to the Holy Groat.

PorridgeFanatic.jpg

Bonkers . . . Oh yes !

Impressive use of off-grid alternative technology. You do grow your own oats, I suppose? :wink:

Nice to see someone else recycling sweetie jars for food storage; we keep our porridge oats and muesli in 40+ year old jars, too.

Carry on grinding!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote: ............on tour bacon eggs sausage tomatoes beans black pudding toast, - the lot every day if possible. Who needs energy drinks?
Spot on! :D

I've tried toast, I've tried porridge, I've tried cereal, I've tried fruit - and any combination of them ............. even when NOT cycling, and I'm starving hungry by mid-morning.

Breakfast, eat like a king.
Lunch, eat like a queen.
Dinner, eat like a pauper.

I often skip the evening meal. Maybe twice a week.
I never miss a breakfast and rarely skip a lunch.

However, on tour, I'll have a hearty breakfast (no cereal, no fruit, no porridge) then skip lunch probably, and then eat like a king in the evening.

Please note, I think porridge of any description or method is horrible stuff. It doesn't do for us all to be the same eh? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:Given the choice, a breakfast should consist of protein. Bacon and eggs is best.

Care to elaborate? Why? Does your body need protein in such a time critical fashion?

Aren't carbs, as in porridge, better before a day's pedalling?

Open questions - i claim no great medical knowledge.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I dont eat porridge very often, ordinary Muesli is like eating sawdust IMO. I buy Aldi Really Nutty Muesli, although I prefer a proper cooked English breakfast but if I ate that every day I would be the size of a house! I probably need to become a lumberjack!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:
Plain rolled oats make the best porridge, the instant stuff is unsatisfying crap IMO.

Al

Agree. Almost always when the food industry claims that something is faster/more convenient, it means that they have adulterated it and expect stupid folk to pay a premium for it.

And usually the time saved is bugger all. Just how long does it take to make porridge?

I quite like sainsburys finest oats. So nice you can actually eat them plain without cooking just with milk, or maybe with some peanuts/dried fruit added.

You can get way cheaper oats but some of them are like fine sawdust. God knows what's been done to them.
Last edited by Sweep on 6 Dec 2015, 1:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
nez

Post by nez »

Porridge does have carbs but it's 11g per 100g protein.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that. I did suspect it was the case, at least with the quality stuff.

Kinda off/topic but kinda related - avoid ubercheap pasta - it is often significantly lower in protein.
Sweep