This helmet thing.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
bigjim

This helmet thing.

Post by bigjim »

No. It's not a should one wear or not. Not going there.
There is a new cycling club on the go. Salford Cycling Club. Has a facebook page. Seems well run and well supported. Nice crowd though a bit young and Strava for me. They have just affiliated with British cycling. Thing us. I note that you will not be allowed on their jaunts unless you wear a helmet. Anybody know if this is a British Cycling thing?
Vorpal

Re: This helmet thing.

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
neilob

Post by neilob »

My club has the same policy and I suspect that many cycling clubs do these days. We did it because it's what a majority of members wanted and I dare to suggest that most members of traditional cycling clubs are perfectly happy wearing helmets. CTC local groups do, however,seem to accept people without helmets and they are pretty much the only 'peletons' you see on the road sans helmets these days. It's sad that people feel so strongly about not wearing a helmet that they would forego the pleasure of joining club runs and chaingangs. At the end of the day, clubs are free to do what they want however. My observation, FWIW, is that the people who won't wear helmets tend not to be the typical clubman type anyway. Please note the careful use of words such as 'most', 'suggest', tend', 'many' and the fact that I am talking about cycling clubs not the cycling public.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
whoof

Post by whoof »

bigjim wrote:There is a new cycling club on the go. I note that you will not be allowed on their jaunts unless you wear a helmet.

Not unusual, some do some don't. You literally pays your money and takes your choice.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

whoof wrote:
bigjim wrote:There is a new cycling club on the go. I note that you will not be allowed on their jaunts unless you wear a helmet.

Not unusual, some do some don't. You literally pays your money and takes your choice.

Hmmm. Shame if it stops people riding their bikes in company. Our freedoms eroding. I've not come across it as I only ride out with CTC clubs or casual rides organised on bike sites [the latter have been really good]. I understand the choice thing of course, but it limits your choice so it becomes ride alone or not at all if there is nothing else in the area. Not much of a choice IMO. :(
I do wear a helmet all the time but thats not the point.
neilob

Post by neilob »

bigjim wrote:
whoof wrote:

Hmmm. Shame if it stops people riding their bikes in company. Our freedoms eroding. I've not come across it as I only ride out with CTC clubs or casual rides organised on bike sites [the latter have been really good]. I understand the choice thing of course, but it limits your choice so it becomes ride alone or not at all if there is nothing else in the area. Not much of a choice IMO. :(
I do wear a helmet all the time but thats not the point.

Not wanting to be contraversial, but what is the point? If, to enjoy cycling club life and all the benefits it brings, you have to wear a helmet that is a simple decision to make. I get the big picture arguments about helmet use but your question is specifically about cycling clubs. If it makes it easier think of it as a dress code thing. Try wearing jeans when playing a round of golf!
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Not wanting to be contraversial, but what is the point? If, to enjoy cycling club life and all the benefits it brings, you have to wear a helmet that is a simple decision to make. I get the big picture arguments about helmet use but your question is specifically about cycling clubs. If it makes it easier think of it as a dress code thing. Try wearing jeans when playing a round of golf!

I don't think you are reading it correctly or maybe I'm writing it incorrectly. It was meant to be a conversation not an argument. So before it escalates...
You don't seem to get my point and I don't get yours, so probably better to just leave it at that and move on.
whoof

Post by whoof »

bigjim wrote:
whoof wrote:
bigjim wrote: some do some don't. .

Not much of a choice IMO. :(

The choice is find a club that does not have this policy or even start one for like minded souls. Someone people in Salford have done it.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

While we’re at it, does anyone know of a club that doesn’t require its members to bring a bicycle on rides?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Samuel D wrote:While we’re at it, does anyone know of a club that doesn’t require its members to bring a bicycle on rides?
The Tricycle Association :P :P :P
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Any section of the national clarion. Often affiliated with the ctc.

edit: My own section doesn't enforce helmet use and I can't find any rule among the nationals stating it either. Can't say the rule isn't there, I just can't find it.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
neilob

Post by neilob »

bigjim wrote:

I don't think you are reading it correctly or maybe I'm writing it incorrectly. It was meant to be a conversation not an argument. So before it escalates...
You don't seem to get my point and I don't get yours, so probably better to just leave it at that and move on.

Agreed.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I don't suppose there is a club which bans helmets.
Doesn't this show something about the attitude to free choice of the two sides of the helmet debate?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mike Sales wrote:I don't suppose there is a club which bans helmets.
Doesn't this show something about the attitude to free choice of the two sides of the helmet debate?
Good point indeed.

I help out each year with a Bikeability lady who comes to the local school. She makes sure all the children have helmets and they are fastened and adjusted correctly. I'm involved in this.

Trouble is, I'm no longer wearing a helmet and have no intention of wearing one again.
When the lady - no names no pack drill - contacts me again, I'm going to have to put my foot down and take it from there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Mike Sales wrote:I don't suppose there is a club which bans helmets.

BOOM, we have a winner.
That you're forced away from certain clubs in your area because you just want to ride a bike and not have to worry about rules that are utterly futile/superfluous to riding safely pretty much shows you how blinded people are and how one sided the 'arguement' is. :x
Imagine the outcry of being told you're only allowed to join a cycling club if you don't wear a helmet when on rides due to health and safety, it'd sound utterly preposterous yet that's effectively what is being thrown at people up and down dale including most cycling events. :twisted:
I imagine all these types insisting on such wear crash helmets/safety aids for other riskier activities in life :roll: