Dynamo bulbs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnt

Dynamo bulbs

Post by johnt »

Would be grateful for any information about replacing screw in bulbs on a "bottle" dynamo with LED's. I know nothing about this at all! Thanks
james01

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Post by james01 »

http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html

Not cheap, but they should have what you need.
A cheaper solution is to buy a complete LED lamp, http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... ;orderby=2 , this one from Germany is around £9 and is a very bright light for the money.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

james01 wrote:http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html

Not cheap, but they should have what you need.
A cheaper solution is to buy a complete LED lamp, http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... ;orderby=2 , this one from Germany is around £9 and is a very bright light for the money.

And for the size - a brilliant little light in both senses of the word...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1 for Reflectalite LED "bulbs", I've used them in place of halogen in battery lamps to good effect.

+1 for getting a modern LED lamp instead, which I went on to do a few years later. IMO the combination of modern optics and LEDs is better.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Pay attention to the manufacturer's remarks about external regulators, which seem to get more insistent as you go down the page.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Thanks guys! johnt
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

gaz wrote:+1 for Reflectalite LED "bulbs", I've used them in place of halogen in battery lamps to good effect.

+1 for getting a modern LED lamp instead, which I went on to do a few years later. IMO the combination of modern optics and LEDs is better.

+1 for modern dynamo light but -1 for the led bulbs. I don't think the optics work right with an led.

Buy from Germany to save cash!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

I've bought some LED bulbs from Reflectalite for an Ever Ready FrontGuard and a couple of old Duracell lights (front & rear. The ones that lock to the bike). The bulbs arrived today and I am mightily impressed by the difference they make. Better with the Duracell lights as I think the lens is more suitable. I expect the battery life will be much improved as well.
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont bother - get the cheap Axa Pico30 front light - It is superb. If you can get the one without the the switch then you have a fault free reliable light. great beam that lights the road in front with little spill to the sides ( a little to alert traffic that aways)
gaz

Post by gaz »

OldGreyBeard wrote:I've bought some LED bulbs from Reflectalite for an Ever Ready FrontGuard and a couple of old Duracell lights (front & rear. The ones that lock to the bike). The bulbs arrived today and I am mightily impressed by the difference they make. Better with the Duracell lights as I think the lens is more suitable. I expect the battery life will be much improved as well.

That's interesting. My own Reflectalite LEDs are an older model (NL311). They are a disaster in my old Duracell lockable front lamp. Do you know which model of LED you have?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

I bought NL322 for the front light (both Duracell and EverReady Frontguard) and NL317R for the Duracell rear light.

The EverReady is better made than its predecessor, which I still have (!) but the Duracell lights are very robust. The EverReady fits the light bracket on the front fork of my Galaxy. The Duracell lights will go on the station bike, a Raleigh ladies 3 speed with wicker basket.
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Reflectalite have been updating many of their bulbs to use side-emitter leds (they call them universal) as these fire more light (sidewards) into the reflector (like a filament bulb)to be collected and focused rather than straight forwards out the lens. This was the type of led B&M used in their 1st DTopal front lamp before they started to use 'reverse optics' like in the cyo.

The NL322 is such a side emitter (I think its predessor was not).
I wish I knew where they buy their side emitters because they would be useful for my own projects....
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Reflectalite have been updating many of their bulbs to use side-emitter leds (they call them universal) as these fire more light (sidewards) into the reflector (like a filament bulb)to be collected and focused rather than straight forwards out the lens. This was the type of led B&M used in their 1st DTopal front lamp before they started to use 'reverse optics' like in the cyo.
Of course the side emitter led source is bigger than a hot filament, so the beam may change a bit according to lamp kind....

The NL322 is such a side emitter (I think its predessor was not).
I wish I knew where they buy their side emitters because they would be useful for my own projects....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

What I've found with the EverReady FrontGuard is that the filament bulb gives a more defined cross pattern. With the LED its more fuzzy although brighter. The Duracell front & rear lights work better. They have different lenses to each other. The rear one is more about even spread. The original bulbs were Krypton ones which I assume means that they were brighter.

If it ever stops raining I'll fit them to a bike and give them a road test.
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

Of course changing the bulb does nothing for the weight. However I reckon I could use a AA to D convertor like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/d-battery-converter-4-pack-l65aq