High cadence for speed

toomsie

High cadence for speed

Post by toomsie »

On the internet I have been trying to look different views on cadence. I used to believe that I cadence is always good for speed. But apparently high cadence is very inefficient as a higher percentage of energy goes into spinning the legs. However, since high cadence puts more etherises on cardio vascular system it is a great way to improve fitness and more fitness will make you go faster.

A problem with grinding the gears it puts more pressure on the muscles, that need plenty of recovery time compared to cardio vascular system. High cadence cycling doesn't do this so you need less recovery time. If you are a pro cyclist with blenty of time for sleep and rest, it is ok but for the rest of us with busy lives high cadence cycling I believe to be a better option.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: High cadence for speed

Post by Mick F »

Many would agree with you for them, except I don't ............. for me.

I prefer a low cadence. High cadences tire me out, low cadences and I can ride all day every day. Day in and day out. Stamina is what counts for me.

I think it's to do with muscles and muscle design and physiology.

I'm sure if I trained, I could spin, but I don't want to and have no interest in it. I'm happy, and fit enough thank you. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

you might want to look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93026&p=852418&hilit=spinning+NUKe#p852418
My own opinion is we all have a natural cadence where you will get max power output for you you just need to find it.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Personal natural cadence.
Mick F. Cornwall
barrym

Post by barrym »

Wasn't Lance Armstrong's winning technique based on a high cadence? Ignoring the illegal substances that is!
--
Cheers
Barry
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

barrym wrote:Wasn't Lance Armstrong's winning technique based on a high cadence? Ignoring the illegal substances that is!

Looking at the UCI records I don't see Lance Armstrong winning anything? :lol:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, the trouble with terms like high and low is that people have different views of the same cadence. For some, 80rpm is fast, for some it's low. And for others it's middling...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Long term average cadence for me is 67rpm. This was from Jan 2009 to Oct 2013.

I no longer have a cadence unit so don't monitor it any more. I reckon that when I could see my cadence, my cadence was higher. Now I don't have the unit, I reckon I'm more relaxed and with a lower cadence.
Mick F. Cornwall
barrym

Post by barrym »

AJ101 wrote:
barrym wrote:Wasn't Lance Armstrong's winning technique based on a high cadence? Ignoring the illegal substances that is!

Looking at the UCI records I don't see Lance Armstrong winning anything? [emoji38]

Good point[WHITE SMILING FACE].

Just for the record, the reference was to a book 'A race for madmen' I think it was called. The history of the TdF. Fascinating read. One of the latter chapters was about his post cancer return when IIRC he didn't have the strength he had before and his coach adopted this high cadence technique.
--
Cheers
Barry
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

Mick F wrote:Many would agree with you for them, except I don't ............. for me.

I prefer a low cadence. High cadences tire me out, low cadences and I can ride all day every day.

That's the idea. However low cadence would tire you out more unless you are going at a leisurely pace.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

I used to go out with a few guys, on the road bikes, we were all at roughly the same fitness, but I used the high cadence style (>90rpm) while the others were at slower cadences an I always felt I had more to spare could take a quick sprint or spin up a hill quicker and have quicker recovery times either on or off the bike.
I would always be on a 1 lower chairing but similar cog for any given speed but I trained for that high cadence which I believe is better for road work as it feels like you can keep a better momentum than pushing higher gears.

I also believe that the higher cadence is favoured amongst the triathlon folks as short cranks are a favoured method at present to gain an advantage

But I find when I'm off road my natural cadence is far lower at a guess about 65rpm

All very subjective, I made the personal choice to go with high cadence as I didn't like the slogging through high gears but find what works best for you, try it for a few weeks it'll either gel or not

Roddy