Dynamo hub wheels for trikes.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

Dynamo hub wheels for trikes.

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I am already sold on dynamo hubs having had a couple before, but never on a trike.

Where to purchase/have built?

ICE can do them, makes sense, they are for an ICE trike. But I think they are already made so I have no choice in rim.

Practical cycles may be able to do them and I have had a good dynamo hub wheel from them before.

I can't think where else to enquire, bearing in mind I would like to take delivery by mid January ish. Any ideas?
grani

Re: Dynamo hub wheels for trikes.

Post by grani »

SJS has these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/schmi ... prod26520/.

The price does put me off a bit but I am very tempted.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I th k hat ICE supply the SOn stub axle Dynamo - which means disc brakes. Don't think the SA drum/Dynamo/stub axle has come to anything yet...

I'd be tempted by a pair of those though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

The Sturmey X-SDD hub is advertised on one German store... and interestingly says "only some in stock"... there's also reportedly some in the Czech Republic too*

Not seen any reviews of any in real life though. And my recent experience of building a single sided trike wheel means I'm not in a rush to build another just yet!

*Google Translate of Czech into English is intriguing... "snakes" are brake cables, and clearly every bicycle has a soul, perhaps two or even three (inner tubes)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can't quite see if the XSDD is right hand only...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

The SA product page suggest they are right side only...

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/x-sdd

I really like how trouble free my drum brakes are on the Trice, the BB7 discs on my other two bents always seem to need periodic attention (one much more than the other). That's one reason (cost aside) that I'm not going for the SON dynamo.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hercule wrote:....I really like how trouble free my drum brakes are on the Trice, the BB7 discs on my other two bents always seem to need periodic attention (one much more than the other). That's one reason (cost aside) that I'm not going for the SON dynamo.

I wonder why one BB7 setup needs more fiddling than the other? Is there a difference in the setup (pads, discs?) or use pattern?

But I would echo what you say about the drum brakes; they are largely trouble free in a way that users of other brakes (any kind) can only dimly imagine.

A negative for the SA hub generator is that it is a little bit draggier than the SON.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Brucey wrote:
hercule wrote:....I really like how trouble free my drum brakes are on the Trice, the BB7 discs on my other two bents always seem to need periodic attention (one much more than the other). That's one reason (cost aside) that I'm not going for the SON dynamo.

I wonder why one BB7 setup needs more fiddling than the other? Is there a difference in the setup (pads, discs?) or use pattern?

cheers

BB7's are built asymmetrical.
So to fit them on both sides takes different mountings resulting in one being at a different angle and higher of the ground than the other.
This alters how much crud gets washed/sprayed/dripped in to the brake in the wet, hence the difference in wear/fiddling.

My Tektro Auriga Twins fit the same mount, just mirrored across the trike.
But I still get different wear patterns due to the curd side wheel tends to drop more crud into the calliper.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

That's interesting. I didn't think there was even a picture out of the SA Drum Dynamo hub published yet.

The SON can be run either way so if you changed the the brake shoes for the left hand side ones they may well work on both sides?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are potential issues with precession. Don't know how SON have overcome them, but they are possibly still the only 'double Dynamo' solution...
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

The axles are the same diameter as ICE at 12mm. I'm tempted. Anyone think they will fit?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Axle looks identical to the son arrangement, so I expect it will...

Make sure it's built non dished, and 'right handed', and put it on that side..

(Not particularly convinced that spoking handedness is significant, but they are laced differently from ICE - One of mine is "wrong"ly laced, and has been for years - can't recall if I used a spare LH wheel on the RHS or what, but I also can't remember what is 'correct' any more)
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I really did want a pair. At that price (£800 for SON) I'm tempted to try and run one backwards. Should work?

I'll also be able to fit to my older nondisc kingpin trike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

it *might*

If you know which bits have a tendency to unravel then a spot of loctite would likely do the job nicely.

Brucey would probably know which bits tend to go pear shaped when run backwards..
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I have tried to check out several times but I'm getting PayPal error messages.
I have email them. Two hubs after shipping was only £176.