Dynamo hub wheels for trikes.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Dynamo hub wheels for trikes.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Two hubs?

Crikey! That's excellent value compared with a son.

If they'd been available 5 years ago I'd tell you what they were like running forwards and backwards ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Yep two hubs! Just dont think they are getable.

You have no complaints about the SON after five years I take it? Thats the warrenty i think.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

None at all - it's been very good to me. My wheel builder found it a challenge though :)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

[XAP]Bob wrote:it *might*

If you know which bits have a tendency to unravel then a spot of loctite would likely do the job nicely.

Brucey would probably know which bits tend to go pear shaped when run backwards..

IIRC the generator part screws into the hubshell (SA sell a special wrench for this, but any full-hex with no counterbore ought to work) and it may precess out if the hub is used the wrong way round. I agree some Loctite on the screw threads wouldn't go amiss; worst case is that you would need a little heat before unscrewing the generator later on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Brucey wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:it *might*

If you know which bits have a tendency to unravel then a spot of loctite would likely do the job nicely.

Brucey would probably know which bits tend to go pear shaped when run backwards..

IIRC the generator part screws into the hubshell (SA sell a special wrench for this, but any full-hex with no counterbore ought to work) and it may precess out if the hub is used the wrong way round. I agree some Loctite on the screw threads wouldn't go amiss; worst case is that you would need a little heat before unscrewing the generator later on.

cheers

There you go :)
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I probably should have tried it but I've not really got the time to experiment. I want something thats just going to work right now and SON have always impressed. So I've ordered those. A new king pin too for the left hand side as I'm converting from drums.

Expensive yes but I think it will be worth it.

Now to get some lights. Anyone shopped here before? They seem pretty cheap...

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busc ... /wg_id-303
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, used them a few times.
grani

Post by grani »

I have bought lights, wheels and dynamos from them and they have been good. Relatively fast delivery.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I ended up buying the lights from Rose due to no more than a poor check out at the other. Fingers crossed.

I can't believe how much the price of B+M lights have fallen now. I brought a better light than I already had plus two rear for the same price as the original.

Let's ride the night.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

P.s. if anyone can get through check out at that German store listed above for a SA Dynamo Hub integrated drum brake I'll share costs with you. Practical Cycles could build it up I'm sure.

A Drum brake Dynamo hub. Surely a step in the right direction?
grani

Post by grani »

Did you order the SON from SJS?
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

No not from SJS as I really wanted black hubs (bit of a tart I know) I also don't believe I could build them up myself. ICE are building them up today and tomorrow for delivery next week. Cheers
grani

Post by grani »

Will ICE build it with whatever rim you want?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

grani wrote:Will ICE build it with whatever rim you want?

Assuming it's easy enough to get then they probably would.