My Trice lives!!!!!!!!!!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
BlackPanther

My Trice lives!!!!!!!!!!

Post by BlackPanther »

Oh yes, I am a happy chappie.

Just finished swapping over the cruciform. New kingpin and steering bearings, new track rod ends, new brake and gear cables, new chain, new chain tube brackets, new hand grips, and cleaned out the drum brakes and did the tracking.
Gotta say, I luckily had everything in the garage, even a spare q/r rubber when the one of the steering q/r rubbers failed. Yes there were a few 2 steps forward, one step back moments, worst being when I fitted the wheel mounts backwards, so the track rod bracket was at the front, doh. Anyway, all done, hoping the rain dies off tomorrow so I can get a quick test ride in before Monday's commute. This has been by far the most complex, out of my comfort zone biking diy job I've undertaken, and now I know that if I can ever afford a new trike, then I'll be o.k. building it up out of the box. It's also shown me just how many things I should've checked when I've bought a 2nd hand trike. Never even checked the tracking on a trike before today! Started at 10.00, finished at 16.30.

So here's a before pic, a tools used pic, and the finished pic. Look how shiny she is!

Btw, if anyone has a home build project, and could use/fix the broken cruciform, they're welcome to have it.

[/[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/carlpanther/media/image_zpsgvu7vubd.jpeg.html]Image
The photobucket images don't work !!!
[XAP]Bob

Re: My Trice lives!!!!!!!!!!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Happy ending ;)

What have you used to extend the seat rails up - I presume for lights?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

Plumbing pipe, wrapped in insulating tape.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just wedged in?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

The trice mesh seat tubes have a bend near the bottom, so the tube forced down holds really well. It's also taped up around the tube/seat tube at the top do it can't swivel. A cap with a small hole in the top means I can quickly slot my flag poles in. They don't call me the 'Baron of bodge' for nothing. :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ze Bodge Baron

I like it. I have a quill stem in as a handle to push when picking MiniBob up from Rainbows - she's perfectly capable of steering and braking - the pedals are somewhat out of reach though...
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I like it, Black Panther,and certainly wouldn't call it a "bodge".
It's always seemed such a derogatory term to me, for something that can be quite creative. Even when I might use the term (eg using some zip ties to get me home with a split tyre wall) there is still an element of creativity. Solving a problem from outside the box (ie from outside the manufactured solution) is a time honoured use of one's grey matter, in my opinion.
In the USA I believe they use the term "bike hack". Here's a link to a site that shows some. Some are hardly worth looking at, but scrolling down to about the fourth item there's an interesting rear rack.
http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/

By the way, I hope you won't mind if I pinch your idea for my own ICE. I've been toying with the question of how to slot in some grp rods to replace my original snapped flag pole, but which are a different diameter to the original. Making a double, symmetrical flag and light posts seems a good idea.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - what's mounted on them?
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

check your front boom, it looks a bit skewed in the photo.
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

Elizabethsdad wrote:check your front boom, it looks a bit skewed in the photo.

That's sorted, spotted it as soon as I sat on it before the test ride. Been out for a few miles today for a shakedown. Everything o.k. and I've refitted the front fairing ready for the commute tomorrow.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Nice to see a hammer taking pride of place in the centre of the tool pile :)
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

wfbroddy wrote:Nice to see a Tool, Fine adjustment. MK1, taking pride of place in the centre of the tool pile :)

FIFY. :lol:
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

That's great work sir!
Love it when a job gets sorted in one - albeit rather lengthy - session, very satisfying.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

firedfromthecircus wrote:
wfbroddy wrote:Nice to see a Tool, Fine adjustment. MK1, taking pride of place in the centre of the tool pile :)

FIFY.

We normally call it the Edinburgh socket set, but thought it would be lost on most folk :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Irish screwdriver...