Romania

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
banjaxed

Romania

Post by banjaxed »

I'd like to do the Eurovelo 6 from Nantes to the Constanta but I'm concerned about cycling safely in Romania. I've assumed that even though some parts to the west of Romania are shown as 'not realised' , cycling in these parts will be safe. My perception of routes 'not realised' in Romania is that I will cycling on busy roads where consideration of cyclists safety isn't to the front of drivers minds. Have I got this wrong?
banjaxed

Re: Romania - forgot to mention....

Post by banjaxed »

......I plan to follow the Danube.
smith4188

Re: Romania

Post by smith4188 »

banjaxed wrote:I'd like to do the Eurovelo 6 from Nantes to the Constanta but I'm concerned about cycling safely in Romania. I've assumed that even though some parts to the west of Romania are shown as 'not realised' , cycling in these parts will be safe. My perception of routes 'not realised' in Romania is that I will cycling on busy roads where consideration of cyclists safety isn't to the front of drivers minds. Have I got this wrong?

I don't know the Eurovelo 6 but I cycled across Romania in 2013, from SE Hungary to Bucharest and then to Moldova. Many of the A-roads were unpleasantly busy. The B-roads were much nicer but there didn't seem to be many of them. The rest of the roads were usually dirt or gravel tracks. If I were touring Romania again I would go with mountain bike tyres so that I could enjoy more of the smaller roads. That said, don't let this put you off going. I enjoyed myself there. I have some more info at http://www.unicycle50.com/new/Cycling_in_Romania.php
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

These are general remarks relating to cycling provision on the EV6 bits I rode several years ago. In germany the route is usually smooth surfaced, avoids busy roads almost completely, provides crossings and signs at every opportunity where you might think of taking a different route. There are often information boards. Its at a standard rarely seen in the UK.

As you go east the adherence to these standards declines; the surface might be broken in places or you may have to use some initiative to find the best way. All the way through to Bratislave high standards persist.

Once beyond Budapest the standards declined to a UK like level, sometimes excellent and sometimes poor. Surfaces might be broken, the directions unclear or strange.

In Serbia you were on roads but they were usually quiet. However they were not the most direct route but were well signposted. Tarmac quality was generally ok but massive potholes were possible and there were patches of disrepair.

By Bulgaria the condition of the roads was often shocking (and in one case almost unrideable). Disrepair could stretch over the whole width of the road and go on for many metres. Local signposts only (and none on back roads) and difficulty at junctions seeing which was the main road. Traffic wasn't generally a problem; its adventure cycling so you'd get the an intense cultural experience in a way you don't get in rural Germany. On a couple of occasions the route ran across fields without an obvious track. Everything was highly variable, lots of different challenges and ultimately extremely satisfying. Many of the difficulties you just have to deal with on the spot by whatever means suits you. Fantastic.

No Romanian experience though. You might be able to check out the roads with google streetview.
neilob

Post by neilob »

I have done EV6 to Constanta twice in the last two years. First time starting in Budapest and this year in Belgrade. No safety issues at all. I love Romania and it is great for cycling. It may be easier to pm me your number and we can speak if you want tips.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
DaveFY7

Post by DaveFY7 »

I've had a couple tours through Romania and found it to be safe and very friendly.

First tour went over the Transalpina pass from north to south and left the country at Vidin.

The second was earlier this year and took in some of the veloroute 6. I had cycled from Antalya and picked up Romania at the Bechet ferry crossing from Bulgaria. A nice flat route west taking in some nice rural villages. The children would hold their hands up for high 5's with big grins on their faces. Just be careful they don't grab hold as one young girl did and nearly pulled me off my bike. The adults were just as friendly with loads of waves and smiles. The only problem I had was having my cheap sunglasses swiped off the top of my panniers when I nipped into a village shop so be careful with that as there are a lot of people about. I think I know which young man whipped them.

I crossed the border into Serbia at the dam just past Drobeta- Turnu Severin. The Serbian side of the river is very quiet and scenic. The main road on the Romanian side of the Danube was very busy with a lot of freight trucks heading in both directions.

All in all, I found Romania one of the friendliest countries on my route from Antalya to the UK. The motorists are very respectful with lots of horse drawn carts and tractors on the roads. I wild camped it rather than used hotels etc.

see: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 16197&v=Yb

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 23604&v=BI
doodah

Post by doodah »

banjaxed wrote:I'd like to do the Eurovelo 6 from Nantes to the Constanta but I'm concerned about cycling safely in Romania. I've assumed that even though some parts to the west of Romania are shown as 'not realised' , cycling in these parts will be safe. My perception of routes 'not realised' in Romania is that I will cycling on busy roads where consideration of cyclists safety isn't to the front of drivers minds. Have I got this wrong?

PM sent

Doodah
BobtheBuilder

Post by BobtheBuilder »

Just taking onto this thread.

I'm planning to do EV6 from east to west in a few months with my partner and 1 year-old.

The plan at the moment is to have a baby trailer and a gear trailer, using Bromptons - primarily because we'd like to travel multi-modal easily. We'll be set up to camp and cook independently, so will not be travelling ultra-light!

The primary concern is with the state of the unsealed sections of the route and the ability of the Bromptons to handle these in terms of wear and tear - I'm aware it won't be the most comfortable ride, but willing to put up with that.

I've done some looking about for info about the state of the track and some descriptions of it say it's in poor condition - however, being Australian and living in a very remote area, my idea of good dirt road looks in the European context to be a very poor road!

Just wondering if anyone could comment on the suitability of taking Bromptons through the eastern section?

cheers,

Rob