Not My Club Too???

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Not My Club Too???

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mattyfez wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I've got some great Lion repellent....

A good pair of Nike trainers? :-)

No - It's really effective though, I've never been bitten by a lion since wearing it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mattyfez wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I've got some great Lion repellent....

A good pair of Nike trainers? :-)

No - It's really effective though, I've never been bitten by a lion since wearing it...

I've never been bitten by a lion either. Thank God for designer running shoes!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've being making a similar point regarding risk compensation with regard to disc brakes, go faster/brake later, in the wet (where the main advantage is being purported) but then find it's the traction between tyre and road surface and the previous to that poor judgement that makes them come a cropper. Even the pros do it now, supposedly the best bike riders in the world yet are unable to fathom that going too fast or riding recklessly with too much risk in X condition/situation then find they are unable to stay upright which then causes them to lose much more time than any potential gains if they are even able to remount never mind any fallout to those around them.

I'd lay even money that they'll crash next season (with discs) in the pro peloton at exactly the same places in exactly the same conditions as they did before with rim brakes, in fact it appears there are far more crashes now than there ever were when riders didn't wear helmets, there's certainly more deaths in the pro ranks since helmets were introduced as a compulsion.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tonyf33 wrote:there's certainly more deaths in the pro ranks since helmets were introduced as a compulsion.

For Some Values Of "certainly".

There simply isn't a decent enough sample base of pro riders getting dead to make any such certainty, well, certain. While injuries in the pro peloton are common, deaths are rare and the degree that Excrement Occurs can vary at levels that would easily mask helmet effects, good or bad.

Much as it would be difficult to prove they've helped, it's similarly hard to show they've clearly hindered. And it's important that the sceptical viewpoint doesn't overplay its hand. It's worth remembering that "zero, plus or minus error bars" is a mark of failure for something we're told makes things much safer.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mattyfez wrote:
I've never been bitten by a lion either. Thank God for designer running shoes!

I wear sensible shoes, and not only have I not been attacked by a lion but the protective effect extends to shark attacks when I'm not even wearing them!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pjclinch wrote:I wear sensible shoes, and not only have I not been attacked by a lion........

Probably because no self respecting lion would be seen wearing sensible shoes.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

The whole lion thing is a bit of a 'red herring' as in those claiming to be protected are self selecting.
We haven't heard from anyone who has been attacked by a lion...
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think the anecdotes are confused. Nikes were repelled by a Tiger. Nothing to do with lions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

TonyR wrote:
pjclinch wrote:I wear sensible shoes, and not only have I not been attacked by a lion........

Probably because no self respecting lion would be seen wearing sensible shoes.

You're biasing the study towards self-respecting lions. You're just as dead if a completely shameless one eats you, you know.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

kwackers wrote:The whole lion thing is a bit of a 'red herring' as in those claiming to be protected are self selecting.
We haven't heard from anyone who has been attacked by a lion...

But we have Tigerbitten somewhere on here
NUKe

Post by kwackers »

NUKe wrote:But we have Tigerbitten somewhere on here

Tigers have a different fashion sense to lions.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Lion spray, Nikes and sensible shoes are all ineffective against Cougars though. I've proven it.
What you really need are flip flops.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Vantage wrote:Lion spray, Nikes and sensible shoes are all ineffective against Cougars though. I've proven it.
What you really need are flip flops.

Which sort of Cougar are we talking about here? :shock:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

An application of Tiger Balm should sort that out :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

TonyR wrote: