Can we have a GPS sub section?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
TrevA

Can we have a GPS sub section?

Post by TrevA »

We get quite a few threads on GPS now and it would be useful if all of the threads could be lumped together in a sub-section, either in "Does anyone know" or " Bikes and Bits - technical section".

Any thoughts?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vantage

Re: Can we have a GPS sub section?

Post by Vantage »

Personally I'm not keen on the idea. For the simple reason that similar subsections would be requested for tyre choice, panniers, racks, saddles and all manner of cycling components. All have had numerous threads about them.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It seems to work quite well over on YACF, though I do realise the danger of fragmenting forums into a thousand and one subsections. But I'd suggest that actually "Navigation" would be better - most people think of GPS as "handlebar-mounted Garmin", but smartphones, smartwatches and even (whisper it) paper maps are all doing the same job.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'm not sure it's a good idea either.

If you are interested in GPS, it would have the advantages that posts wouldn't expire off the front page so quickly, and that you could have a few stickies.

The disadvantage would be that you would reduce the pool of question answerers, as you see nothing of it unless you go into the subsection. YACF is a bit different in that the subject line of the most recent post is visible without going in, so there's some chance of it catching the eye. Most GPS topics are from people wanting purchase or usage advice, and someone who's been using GPS for several years, but isn't thinking of getting a new one may well see no reason to visit.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Fragmenting things too much can make things messy (as said above, we'd have tyre choice, disc brake, etc. sub-sections).

Seems to me it is only useful if the existing structure prevents people from finding stuff ... and the "search" facility is pretty good in that regard. I've found when joining new forums that too many sections/sub-sections can make it difficult to see what is going on and can be a bit intimidating/discouraging.

Also, these things go through busy/quiet times. GPS is probably "busy" at the moment as people start thinking about next year, tour options, gear, etc. You'd probably find mid-summer the topic a lot quieter (and then we might need a "saddle soreness" sub-section).

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

With a 'view active topics' function and a search box, isnt that sufficient?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I personally don't find the search facility that useful, but I'm probably using the wrong keywords.

I've recently bought an 810 and was struggling with the set up, but I've now read DCRainmakers in depth review and found it very useful:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garm ... eview.html
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Garmin forums are great and well-worth joining.
https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php
I was a very active user when I had the Edge 705, but now I'm using a Montna, it's not so well catered for so I've lapsed. :oops:
Username SmickF ........ if you want to search. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

TrevA wrote:Any thoughts?

If you think there is a particularly beneficial thread you could flag it up for inclusion in the archive section.

If you have the time you could even construct an index of all the useful threads.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

TrevA wrote:I personally don't find the search facility that useful, but I'm probably using the wrong keywords.

The search function needs more than 3 letters before it will work, so it's no use searching for 'GPS' :? . Using google is better.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you put this in your google search... site:forum.CTC.org.uk what GPS

You will find a number of threads on GPS

You can refine your search by using 'GPS recommendation' or 'GPS maps' or whatever suits your fancy instead.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I can see both sides of the debate. If I was allowed to 'wish' for something to change on the forum, it would be for an improved search function. When you search for a subject such as 'GPS' or 'B&M' an error message is returned. Is there anyway that can be fixed? It's such a great forum I could live without it....b
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I agree.
The forum search function needs four or more characters. Single three letter words are flagged up as an error.

Quite a disadvantage IMHO.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If we have one for GPS can we have a London riding ghetto too. Or at least a SE England one. I see a lot about issues only affecting the big smoke riders and Norfolk or Suffolk or Sussex gets mentioned a bit too. Then I'm sure we could have a few other ghettos too.

BTW how do you read the forum? I suspect a lot click on new or active posts most not individual sections. Of course if the idea is to try and remove the GPS threads from the active threads search link then isn't that divisive? Only the threads I like get highlighted. A little tip, only read the threads you're interested in. It will save you a lot of time.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I can see both sides of the debate. If I was allowed to 'wish' for something to change on the forum, it would be for an improved search function. When you search for a subject such as 'GPS' or 'B&M' an error message is returned. Is there anyway that can be fixed? It's such a great forum I could live without it....b

Although you can't search on things with '&', you can search on three letter words and acronyms with an *

So, *GPS* will get you hits relating to GPS and you can add other words to it, e.g.: *GPS* recommendation

You cannot search on *B&M* because '&' is not a recognised search character in the phpBB search function. You need to use a search engine, like google for that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom