Upper body Clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Upper body Clothing

Post by AlastairS »

Hi,
Just wonder what people wear on top when cycling in the cold and wet.
I have a Lusso HT54? jacket - it's quite good, not that waterproof and it is a bit bulky and a bit heavy for summer use.
Is it possible to have a lightweight waterproof outer jacket that packs small so can be carried easily and used when wet, while wearing a lightweight windproof of a base layer or two when dry.
The waterproof would then go over the windproof when wet.

Does this sound like a good idea for winter and summer cycling ?

Thanks
Eyebrox

Re: Upper body Clothing

Post by Eyebrox »

How about a merino base layer, cycling jersey and Altura Pocket Rocket jacket? Any combination of two (or even the three layers) will cover you for all but the bitterest of cold conditions.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I was thinking merino baselayer, cyclying jersey, windproof top e.g. Montane litespeed and a lightweight waterproof e.g. paclite goretex jacket .
both the paclite and the windproof can be packed away until needed.

Any other ideas , particularly a good lightweight waterproof and a windproof (preferably ones that don't break the bank, but understand reasonable quality comes at cost) ?

Thanks
whoof

Post by whoof »

For a windproof layer gilets are pretty good for keeping the wind off your front without getting too hot. Can be added to other jerseys and jackets then put in a rear pocket if you get too hot.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... GwodYlMHrQ
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

AlastairS wrote: Just wonder what people wear on top when cycling in the cold and wet.

A lot depends on the particular value of "wet". In cool and damp my favourite thing is an old Montane pertex/micropile smock (not made any more, but similar to Buffalo's Teclite smock or Active Lite shirt), which keeps me pretty dry and is a lot more breathable than a "proper" hard shell. But if it's prolonged and/or heavy rain it's a hard shell.

AlastairS wrote:I have a Lusso HT54? jacket - it's quite good, not that waterproof and it is a bit bulky and a bit heavy for summer use.
Is it possible to have a lightweight waterproof outer jacket that packs small so can be carried easily and used when wet, while wearing a lightweight windproof of a base layer or two when dry.

Sounds okay to me. There's plenty of decently light waterproofs about, and also plenty of windproofs. A lot of windproofs have a DWR water repellent coating which will see off the worst of a shower so you don't always need to get the heavy armour out. It's worth noting, however, that while a DWR doesn't affect "breathability" in terms of air-permeability, they do tend to feel clammier than a similar fabric without the coating. A DWR works by encouraging water to bead up and run off rather than soak in, and that works on sweat as well as rain. Having sweat soak in, spread out and evaporate can be more comfortable than having the sweat bead and keep you damp... I like a DWR in current weather, I prefer a top without it in nicer weather.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a windproof LS top with a zip front. Under it, I wear a different set of base layers depending on how cold it is. Sometimes I wear three base layers.

The Roubez (sp?) top is shower proof but not waterproof, so if I'm going to get soaked, I take a Gortex Paclite with me. If it's raining before I start, I miss out the windproof top and either use base layers with my Paclite, or fewer base layers and wear my lined Goretex top.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

AlastairS wrote:Hi,

Thanks

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me, IMO getting it right is about layering for options.
If it’s not cold I’d be looking for a packable windproof as well as a packable waterproof, it doesn’t necessarily get colder when it gets wetter and changing rather than adding a layer might be a better idea. Or, if it’s not too cold and you have the right base layer, just accept getting wet, merino is good for this, I can be soaked and as long as the wind is kept off don’t find it unpleasant.
I find it easier when I know it’s going to be cold for the whole ride and I know I’m not going to overheat in a waterproof.
I don’t like to have too much kit, one of the advantages of that is I soon get to know what works well with what.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depends how wet and how long.

If it's bucketting it down then you'll be wet whatever you wear...
If it's a short ride then it probably doesn't matter too much...

I carry a waterproof (ALDI runner's one I think) but very rarely use it.
Then again I'm still on a single layer, even at this time of year, so my required insulation is somewhat lower than others...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If it's bucketting it down then you'll be wet whatever you wear...

This is true, but in a hard shell you'll generally end up cool to moderately warm and quite wet, as opposed to very cold and very wet. The wet isn't important in itself as it's only water, but the temperature can be significant.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

How many and what type of layers is mostly down to how you adapt (or don't) to any given range of temperatures/conditions as well as how hard you are going to exert yourself. Also some parts of your body feel colder than others and this differs with each individual too.

If it's your arms more than your trunk then arm warmers plus long sleeve base layer (I recently started using a cheap long sleeved job from go-outdoors which is fine) and decent windproof might be enough, the other way around a long sleeve base layer, windproof and gilet, if you get too warm taking the gilet off is then easy.
I pack a polaris trail-lite waterproof if it might rain with anything more than a fine drizzle, comes with a detachable rigid hood too so good for walking as well and as it's a blue/grey colour doesn't make you look like a twerp either.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thank you for all replies.

I think my real question , after this discussion, is what lightweight waterproof jacket would you recommend ?
and what windproof would you recommend ?

Both would need to be lightweight I guess and packable.

I already have layers : merino top, jersey, t-shirt, arm and knee warmers.

Thanks in advance
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlastairS wrote:I think my real question , after this discussion, is what lightweight waterproof jacket would you recommend ?
and what windproof would you recommend ?

I use a Cag-in-a-bag clone as my lightweight waterproof in warmer times and I wear a Roubaix jacket which has windproof chest/shoulders.

When it's cold, I wear a full rain jacket with a hood, plus a buff to catch some of what tries to blow/run down my neck. Last Sunday: t-shirt, Decathlon polar fleece, rain jacket. 1h30 rain, with 30 pelting, still warm, the fleece cuff had just got damp (was probably showing beyond the jacket cuff - oops) and the t-shirt was dry. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

The problem with that cag-in-abag I saw online is that they don't come in high viz colours which I would like.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi Peter, if you don't mind, I would like to know what you wear waterproof (DWR) top and what windproof(without DWR) you like to use : hopefully (for me so I can keep cost down) they are the same in summer and winter, with just more layers underneath in winter.

Al
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlastairS wrote:The problem with that cag-in-abag I saw online is that they don't come in high viz colours which I would like.

Oh well. I don't like to wear urban camouflage because I want motorists to think "eek, squishy human" ;-) but more seriously, put a sash or gilet over it if it bothers you. They're cheap and broaden your choice massively.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.