Abus Frame Lock

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Padraic

Abus Frame Lock

Post by Padraic »

Hi everyone, as I start to build up my bike to the specification I want, I'm considering fitting a frame lock http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=146739;menu=1000,5,74
I've used them with hire bikes in Holland and found them useful. I just want to get an idea from people if they find them useful and do they know if they are difficult to fit to a bike?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.
foxyrider

Re: Abus Frame Lock

Post by foxyrider »

They are good at disabling a bike but you still need another lock for proper security.

You need to buy one with a mounting plate unless your frame is set up for it - I personally wouldn't bother on anything other than a city bike with the proviso of using another lock to secure the bike to something.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Padraic

Post by Padraic »

foxyrider wrote:They are good at disabling a bike but you still need another lock for proper security.

You need to buy one with a mounting plate unless your frame is set up for it - I personally wouldn't bother on anything other than a city bike with the proviso of using another lock to secure the bike to something.

Yea I've found them useful, so I'm gonna try to get one, but yes another chain lock is needed to lock the front wheel & frame to something secure. I haven't seen them sold with a mounting plate, just ones with kind of wire that wraps around the seat stays to hold the lock in place. I suppose I need to ensure it will fit my bike first before I buy.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I've fitted them to two bikes, the best thing is you can't forget the lock or key ( the key can only be removed when the lock is closed) you can get a version which you can integrate either a cable or chain which plugs into the frame mounted lock.
I feel most thefts are by scumbags who see the easy prey, with the frame locks it takes about 5 seconds to lock the bike, so it's locked even if I pop into a shop for a pint of milk. If I'm honest I've used the cable only about half a dozen times.if your worried about the front wheel either use a bolt up wheel or pit locks. If you leave the bike in a theft prone area almost no lock is foolproof, the frame lock gets used EVERY time because it's so easy.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Of my five bikes (cough!) four have frame locks, two are the Abus ones with the 'plug in' extension lock facility (which are Silver Secure).
I'm a great believer in always using two locks in public places - so the frame lock is one of them. Outside cafes and shops where I can see the bike the frame lock alone is adequate to prevent opportunistic ride away thefts. I also think they are sufficiently uncommon in the UK to confuse the average scrote.
They are very simple to fit - I discard the mounting kit and use cable ties, which means you can get a nice snug fit to the frame (prevents rattling) and you can remove the lock if you need to (but if the cable ties are cut when it's locked it remains locked around the wheel, so is still secure).
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
hufty

Post by hufty »

If you accept that this style of lock is only effective at stopping someone from wheeling your bike away, why go for the solidity of an Axa or an Abus? Have a google of Dyto brand locks. You can probably prise them apart with a teaspoon but they do the job at a fraction of the weight. +1 for zip ties to secure it to the frame.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
millimole

Post by millimole »

Yes hufty you are right. Of the other two, one came integral with the bike, the other cost €5 from a Dutch market stall. The two Abus ones have the slight advantage that I can plug chains into them in the garage, and the chains are then secured to the fabric of the building.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Padraic wrote:Hi everyone, as I start to build up my bike to the specification I want, I'm considering fitting a frame lock http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=146739;menu=1000,5,74
I've used them with hire bikes in Holland and found them useful. I just want to get an idea from people if they find them useful and do they know if they are difficult to fit to a bike?

Regards Padraic.

You say Abus and show Axa, which are not the same. Axa's are in fact pretty narrow, which is a nuisance with 50mm tyres and Magura HS33 brakes. Note that the accessoiry chains do not mix between brands
On cheap frames with thick tubes it is pretty common to fit the lock with two sheetmetal screws, but don't try that on something fancy. On very small & sloping frames the locks might interfere with your heels
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Padraic

Post by Padraic »

Bigdummysteve wrote:I've fitted them to two bikes, the best thing is you can't forget the lock or key ( the key can only be removed when the lock is closed) you can get a version which you can integrate either a cable or chain which plugs into the frame mounted lock.
I feel most thefts are by scumbags who see the easy prey, with the frame locks it takes about 5 seconds to lock the bike, so it's locked even if I pop into a shop for a pint of milk. If I'm honest I've used the cable only about half a dozen times.if your worried about the front wheel either use a bolt up wheel or pit locks. If you leave the bike in a theft prone area almost no lock is foolproof, the frame lock gets used EVERY time because it's so easy.

Yea, on our two cycling holidays in Holland the bikes we hired had them, the key could not be removed until it was locked and the key for the chain lock was on the same key ring so I found it a good system, lock the frame lock and then chain the frame and front wheel to something secure. I'm sure the integrated chain is another level of security.
I like the fact that it can be easily locked when just popping in to a shop for a min or two. I know that its not very secure but it may just stop someone riding off with the bike.
Padraic

Post by Padraic »

m-gineering wrote:
Padraic wrote:Hi everyone, as I start to build up my bike to the specification I want, I'm considering fitting a frame lock http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=146739;menu=1000,5,74

Regards Padraic.

You say Abus and show Axa, which are not the same. Axa's are in fact pretty narrow, which is a nuisance with 50mm tyres and Magura HS33 brakes. Note that the accessoiry chains do not mix between brands
On cheap frames with thick tubes it is pretty common to fit the lock with two sheetmetal screws, but don't try that on something fancy. On very small & sloping frames the locks might interfere with your heels

Sorry I meant to show the Abus.
Padraic

Post by Padraic »

Thanks everyone for the reply's so far, the information from everyone is great, especially when it comes to fitting the lock, this is where I wasn't sure if the lock is suitable.
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Found this whilst browsing. Hard to understand why frame locks aren't more widely used over here. I have them [Axa Defenders] fitted to our tandem, Gazelle everyday bike and Mrs E's electric bike. I have a 1.5m chain that can be used with whichever bike we have out. Easy to wrap around a lamppost, for example, and will lock the front wheel as well if using on a Sheffield stand. Very unobtrusive, secure and convenient. The tandem had no mounting braze-ons, so used zip ties - some scepticism from fellow cyclists, but cutting the zip ties will not compromise the lock's security and it hasn't moved a millimetre since fitting. Highly recommended.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

These are cafe locks only

I have a similar fitting on the Christiania and it works well

howeve more than a few seconds in a shop and the Abus Granit goes on as well

It is also worth noting that if th ebike does not have the appropriate braze-ons then it is down to thin metal strips holding the lcok in place
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

hufty wrote:If you accept that this style of lock is only effective at stopping someone from wheeling your bike away, why go for the solidity of an Axa or an Abus? Have a google of Dyto brand locks. You can probably prise them apart with a teaspoon but they do the job at a fraction of the weight. +1 for zip ties to secure it to the frame.

Some people take this to an extreme and use a releasable cable tie. Yeah, it would only take a couple of seconds to cut through, if you happen to have a pair of nail scissors on you, and being releasable means you don't even need that; but most people don't know such a thing as releasable cable ties exist, don't have scissors and it is enough to stop anyone riding off. Of course, none of these stop someone picking the bike up and carrying it away. They're not even cafe locks, only cafe-you're-sitting-in locks. And for when you're determinedly travelling light and light-hearted.
JaccoW

Post by JaccoW »

Keep in mind though that the Axa ones have keys which cannot be removed once unlocked while the Abus ones come in a KR and NKR version. The latter has keys which can be removed once unlocked.

I guess the main reason why you don't see them much outside of The Netherlands is because they are also close to 800 grams.
Outside of Holland (where they are a necessity) the lower weight of just a single chain or U-lock can be a blessing.

That being said, my next bike is getting a ringlock, probably the Axa Victory.