Sleeping in the Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lorry driver

Sleeping in the Netherlands

Post by lorry driver »

There is a plan afoot to get the family on wheels for a week in Holland in the early Summer (this year). Does anyone have any good advice about booking overnight accommodation for about eight people including two females and three under 16s?
MrsHJ

Re: Sleeping in the Netherlands

Post by MrsHJ »

For that sort of number have you considered camping or are you thinking of hostels / small hotels?
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The official Dutch hostel network is called "Stayokay". The general dorms don't take under 16's, they have to be in their own rooms / dorm to themselves.

With 8 people your a bit big for most B&B type places. The online websites like trip adviser are quite good for finding out what's feasible.
lorry driver

Post by lorry driver »

Thanks for your advice, both of you. Not too keen on the camping because I am such a nimby pimby when it comes to loading up my bike. We shall have three under sixteens so the hostel route might be closed. I was banking on being able to use YHA membership to use in Holland.
Back to drawing board. Thanks for replying.
Winders

Post by Winders »

Try Amsterdam Woods campsite, they have a range of cabins to hire. It's accessible to the city centre by bike or tram, in reach of Haarlem by bike and there's an organic goat dairy just down the lane in the woods too.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

YHA cards accepted.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear re Stayokay. They certainly do take families. And have a variety of room sizes so its feasible that you could occupy a whole room with the under sixteens ( in a 2/4/6 bedded room) . In Arnhem occupying a whole private room is cheaper than the equivalent sized general dorm.

eg Arnhem has these room sizes:
http://www.stayokay.com/en/hostel/arnhem
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I stayed in the hostel in the Hague with my son using my SYHA card and there were plenty of younger people around, but the hostels don't have kitchens, you do get breakfast you can get a packed lunch, and they serve dinners but ours were not very good so we ate out, which was cheap and good. But it could make it expensive if you have a large group of people.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

lorry driver wrote:There is a plan afoot to get the family on wheels for a week in Holland in the early Summer (this year). Does anyone have any good advice about booking overnight accommodation for about eight people including two females and three under 16s?

Why not book a holiday cottage (private or in a resort) for a week and do daytrips? Saves on logistics and you can see quite a lot of different bits of the country if you pick the location with care, perhaps with a bit of trains thrown in
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
hamster

Post by hamster »

Try hotels.nl

They not only do conventional hotels but also B&Bs and holiday lets for stays as short as one night.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

We have used airbnb for six people. It might be worth checking in an area you fancy and doing day rides and move after a few days.