Nexus or Alfine 8

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
syklist

Nexus or Alfine 8

Post by syklist »

I put a pair of Red Band Nexus 8s in our Bromptons a few years ago and they have worked fine with a double chain ring giving us the gear range we want for longer tours. I am considering doing something similar with our Dahon's replacing the DualDrive setup with a Shimano 8 speed and double chain ring.

I noticed that the price difference between the Nexus and Alfine 8 hubs is now less than it was when I did the Brompton conversion.
1)Is there any good reason to go for the Nexus 8 over the Alfine 8 or vice versa?
2) I noticed that the OLD for the Nexus is 132mm while the Alfine is 135mm. Can you build a wheel without a dish round both hubs, I seem to remember Brucey suggesting that the Nexus 8 wheel would end up with a slight dish.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Brucey

Re: Nexus or Alfine 8

Post by Brucey »

at the same OLN the dish is also about the same with both types; this is because the shells are similar (in terms of their flange positions vs the RHS locknut) and the OLN is effectively adjusted on the LHS, not the RHS .

IIRC the very latest version of the Nexus 8 hub is almost identical the revised Alfine 8 anyway; the same internals are used (which may prevent the hub from being respaced narrower BTW because the LH axle shoulder with the larger screw thread on for the cone is further leftwards, as is the cone itself), there is the same high normal shift pattern, there is a disc brake option, etc etc... I don't remember if the RH seal is the same part or not, but that might be one of the few real differences.

So if you want a narrow OLN hub for rim brake use I'd suggest you get an older model N8 red band (for roller brake/rim brake) while you still can.

One difference might be that the spoke holes are slightly smaller in the A8 vs the N8, or perhaps it is just my imagination... Another difference is that the N8 hub is available drilled 36h whereas the A8 is usually 32h.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
syklist

Post by syklist »

It looks like Rose stock the older type Nexus 8 that can be used with RollerBrakes. Having the same hubs would simplify spares and allow internals to be swapped it it was necessary. The OLD of the DualDrives in the Dahons is 135mm so, unlike with the Bromptons, there is no need to narrow the Shimano 8 speed hubs to get them to fit. I was planning on building wheels round 36 spoke hubs anyway as we did with the Bromptons.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
jk49

Post by jk49 »

Maybe worth a look. Good price I think. I had very good service from them.

http://www.cnc-bike.de/product_info.php ... s_id=14808