Where should CTC be going?

gaz

Re: Where should CTC be going?

Post by gaz »

If nothing else we've determined that posting on the forum to invite people to a FB discussion may lead to significant thread drift :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gaz wrote:If nothing else we've determined that posting on the forum may lead to significant thread drift :mrgreen: .

FTFY :wink:
horizon

Post by horizon »

It was actually hard to know where this thread could go really (apart from on to Facebook).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Thread drift?

I used to eat my Cadbury Crème Eggs starting from the top. Now I start from the side.
How do you eat yours?

ps. Wasn't the CTC a cycling club at one time? That's where it should be going. Then I might be persuaded to join it :P
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Yet despite having been told (by several people several times) the Facebook page privacy/security has not been "opened" for non-Facebook people to even view whilst other Facebook pages are open for all. e,g.
Untitled copy.jpg

(Left the open to view by all CTC and on the right the "closed" CTC going forward "debate", both opened at the same time).

So demonstrating who the "debate" has chosen to be private.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whilst not professing to any great knowledge or expertise in Facebook matters, I believe CTC uses a Facebook Page as its Facebook public shop front, in a manner of speaking.

All Facebook Pages can be viewed by anyone with internet access.

Facebook Groups work differently, offering a choice of privacy settings. Philip has said that the "Where should CTC be going?" Facebook Group has the most open "Public" setting but IME even that can only be viewed by Facebook members.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 706977130/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Gaz is correct, Facebook Pages are for public promotion of your business/club/whatever (but not for discussions and debates) whereas Groups are for discussion and, even on the least restrictive setting, can only be seen by logged-in Facebook users. Which is as it should be, in my view. Anything I write in that group is only for the attention of people who've expressed an interest in the subject by joining the group. I don't want my normal Facebook friends to be bombarded by notifications every time I waffle on about the future of the CTC.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AndyK wrote:Gaz is correct, Facebook Pages are for public promotion of your business/club/whatever (but not for discussions and debates) whereas Groups are for discussion and, even on the least restrictive setting, can only be seen by logged-in Facebook users. Which is as it should be, in my view. Anything I write in that group is only for the attention of people who've expressed an interest in the subject by joining the group. I don't want my normal Facebook friends to be bombarded by notifications every time I waffle on about the future of the CTC.

But stopping any non-Facebook users from seeing it seems ... a shame. If it is an important debate them the wider the audience the better. Restrict it to only Facebook registered users and you have a subset of people with useful input.

Who can participate should not be determined by Facebook policies (which are probably designed to maximise profits for Facebook).

Ian
Graham

Post by Graham »

EDIT : I must not encourage others to break Facebook Terms & Conditions
Last edited by Graham on 28 Jan 2016, 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remorse