Pound Shop favourites?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Pound Shop favourites?

Post by al_yrpal »

Right opposite the bus stop in our local town is a couple of pound shops. I often drop in to see if there are any bargains. One favourite item is Oral B toothpaste, often upwards of £3 in chemists. I have had some camping bits and pieces and seldom used tools which were quite useful. Malibu sun lotion is a favourite because its no greasy and you cant seem to get it anywhere else. However the special glass cleaning cloth which didnt and the greasy interior car wipes I got last time were rubbish.
What are your pound shop favourites?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Re: Pound Shop favourites?

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:One favourite item is Oral B toothpaste, often upwards of £3 in chemists.

Probably counterfeit. You'll be lucky if you've still got gums let alone teeth in a few years.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

definitely not there batteries.
I do buy small round plastic sealable microwavable tubs from poundland 8 for a pound. Normally take my lunch to work in a couple one for fruit and one for salad. Other uses include making left overs into homemade ready meals. They are also good for the workshop cleaning chains and storing chains , collecting bits when disassembling etc.
NUKe

Post by simonineaston »

PoundLand... reminds me of the old joke:
Q. What's Sainsbury's good for?
A. Keeping the riff-raff out of Waitrose!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:One favourite item is Oral B toothpaste, often upwards of £3 in chemists.

Probably counterfeit. You'll be lucky if you've still got gums let alone teeth in a few years.

Not counterfeit - French!

… and Waitrose customers (identified by those nice bags) are all slumming it in our Aldi along with us riff raff. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

LED (not dimmable) light bulbs. - £1 each.
I have bought a couple for trying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7uH9AcUwg

(watch this guys other vid's - quite interesting - no relation to me by the way.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Poundland bought out 99P shop.

You might find reading glasses with sprung arms which are really good, I use for work and cant fault them.
Aldi does similar for 1.99 I think.
Aldi does naans for 49 p, unbeatable.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

cycleruk wrote:LED (not dimmable) light bulbs. - £1 each.
I have bought a couple for trying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7uH9AcUwg

(watch this guys other vid's - quite interesting - no relation to me by the way.)

+1 I purchased some nice glass fronted smd gu10 led bulbs recently, branded v-tac. They soon sold out and were replaced by other led bulbs which look to be of an inferior quality, but for a quid may be worth a go. If you find any 12v ones they could be the basis for a DIY cycle lamp. :wink:

Other good buys have been their 26" inner tubes and the thermal hiking socks, 3 pairs for a quid and make good cycling socks.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Not counterfeit - French!

Could be counterfeit French toothpaste,made for rotting French people's teeth and gums.
Sacre Bleu! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

I've stopped going in, my hit rate seemed to be about one worthwhile purchase for three that were no good, it's not the cost I just hate the waste.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I use the poundland bikewash...works for me

The muck off equivalent is nearly £6, but guess how much it is in poundland?
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

re sealable , zip lock plastic bags , loads of uses , and yes only one pound.
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Poundland bought out 99P shop.

No change there, then.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I got bog roll the other day, saved me a trip to a supermarket. 6 rolls for a pound. Havent tried it out yet, will let you know if my bum objects.
When Ive bought something that turns out to be no good it goes back. They dont quibble, Im sure the staff know a lot of the items are tat. I object to the waste of time and effort.
Many things are cheaper in a proper shop. Be careful out there. Be very selective.

Asda is for keeping the riff-raff out of Tesco.
Every other customer in my local Asda (nearest shop) stinks of fags and/or cheap nasty toiletries. Loads of hags buying scratchcards. Yuk.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Do they not still use Workfare? I stopped shopping there because of that.