Un-learning To Ride A Bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vantage

Un-learning To Ride A Bike

Post by Vantage »

My mum posted this to my fb thingybob. I was sceptical. It's really weird and makes you think :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBz ... =3&list=WL
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Un-learning To Ride A Bike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It had to be Destin from the thread title. It really does work like that.

Ever tried to ride an upright tricycle?

Embedded the above link:
[youtube]MFzDaBzBlL0[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think they had one of those 'unrideable bikes' at our local school fete, some years ago. I wasn't there so I missed my chance to have a go on it.

I think perhaps that someone who has mastered the unicycle would be better equipped to tackle such a beast. I did learn to unicycle many years ago, but sadly the knack has since deserted me. I think I'm too old now... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
irc

Post by irc »

I tried one at a fair somewhere. Despite numerous goes I couldn't get 6 feet forwards. It's too hard wired to unlearn in a few minutes.

Edit Mrs IRC (laughing) says it was up in Elgin.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:I think they had one of those 'unrideable bikes' at our local school fete, some years ago. I wasn't there so I missed my chance to have a go on it.

I think perhaps that someone who has mastered the unicycle would be better equipped to tackle such a beast. I did learn to unicycle many years ago, but sadly the knack has since deserted me. I think I'm too old now... :(

Doubt it, unless you just do a wheelie and keep the front wheel off the floor...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

If you cross your arms and steer from the shoulders, it isn't incredibly difficult to ride a backwards-steering bicycle and it doesn't stuff up you riding a normal bike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You might be surprised how hard it is. People try all sorts, crossing their arms etc, it pretty much never works
irc

Post by irc »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You might be surprised how hard it is. People try all sorts, crossing their arms etc, it pretty much never works

The one I saw was demonstrated by the owner after numerous total failures by me and others. The arm crossing idea was tried. All of a sudden riding a bike looked like wizardry!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I learnt to ride a bike backwards as a 13year old. I can still do it now.
Sit on the 'bars with your back facing forwards, and pedal away.
It took me a great deal of practice. It's natural to steer the "wrong" way and fall off! :oops:

I cracked it with the big black bike the paper shop issued me - you know the ones, big basket on the front! - and I did it on the local playing fields.

Once learnt, it became simple, and I could do it on any bike ............... even now 50 years later.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Of course, it need hardly be added, that there are plenty of folk out there who've met with the undriveable car.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).