Lifespan of a washing machine

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Lifespan of a washing machine

Post by Mick F »

We're still using the one we bought in 2002.
Whirlpool.
Just about 14 years old.

Can't see that it'll ever go wrong. Works perfectly and always has done.
Mick F. Cornwall
beardy

Post by beardy »

The brushes have to wear out sometime. At around ten pounds a pair that isnt too bad every decade or so.

I am sure if it was a bicycle you would have replaced its brushes every two years as part of your routine care schedule. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it would be clean and polished, had all the bearings taken out and put into the sonic bath before re-greasing.
It would have Brooks leather control knobs and a Campag 10sp gearbox by now too.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

beardy wrote:The brushes have to wear out sometime. At around ten pounds a pair that isnt too bad every decade or so.

Most motors these days are brushless. In a lot of cases there's no belt either, the motor forms part of the drum.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

remember life of a washing machine is also dependent upon use. A young family may use it once or twice a day, a retired couple once ot twice a week. A young single man "Whats a washing machine"
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

Goodness knows about ours.
Never looked inside, and since installing it, I've never had it out of its slot.

Yes, there's only two of us here now, but it has had loadsa use. These days maybe three or four times a week sometimes less.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

IME washing machines are unpredictable and measuring lifespan in years, whilst understandable, is fairly meaningless. My first washing machine was a Zanussi (washer dryer), lightly used for three years as it was doing washing for one, two years washing for two and two more years washing and drying for three including terry nappies.

When it failed we got a Hotpoint, probably about three years out of that, with two repairs under guarantee followed by a Bosch which also gave three years.

The current Bosch is probably four years old. In the last few days it has started to play up. It is an intermittent fault :evil: , the programme finishes but the electronics fail to progress to "End" leaving the water drained but the door locked.

If it keeps happening I may change the door interlock to see if that remedies the fault, my hopes aren't high :(

BTW has anyone got one of these? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-15009397
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

In 38 years of marriage we've had three washing machines two Hoovers,first one cost £220,second £260,and a Hotpoint for the last ten years,which cost £320.
I can only remember having the first two repaired a couple or three times each(say £150? for repairs),the Hotpoint hasn't needed a repair yet,but there's only been two of us for the last 12+years not three girls in the house as previously.
£950 for 38 years or less than 50p a week up to present,and the Hotpoint machine is still running OK.
Not bad I reckon :)

I've done it now haven't I? :?

Edited for typos
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 Jan 2016, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Flinders wrote:
pete75 wrote:
greyingbeard wrote:I get the impression that the cheap ones are getting cheaper...chinese tat regardless of make...best avoided.

Oh yeah. All the 1.3 billion people in China are incapable of making anything of decent quality. :roll:

No, they do some decent stuff, of course, but you have to admit that some terrible stuff comes from there as well.
In my job, I always tell people to avoid paint, brushes, or easels made in the region, especially easels. All the ones I have seen have been badly made from inferior components (like bolts that sheer the first time they are tightened, or sketching easels too fragile to use outdoors (that's a bit like a car that dissolves if it rains).
They undercut European firms, a lot of the market is amateur and tends to buy on price*, and then the decent competition either goes bust, or exports production to China, losing jobs here, and resulting in their stuff being no better.

There are a few European firms still making here, like Mabef, and I buy/advise buying from them, but it's difficult for them, they are having to charge the same as they did 10 years ago and are still being undercut. Shipping is far too cheap; it amounts to dumping.

*buying easels on price is idiotic, as a good one lasts a lifetime and can be handed down through the generations even if used every day (I know of many that have been), a lousy one won't last more than a few years in full use if you're lucky and won't work very well even in that time, and the price differential is probably about 30%.

I take it you mean small artistic type brushes not paint brushes. Chinese calligraphy is traditionally done with small brushes and they would have known how to make decent ones well before the birth of Christ. The ones you describe are probably commissioned and designed by British or US companies to be made as cheaply as possible.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:In 38 years of marriage we've had three washing machines two Hoovers,first one cost £220,second £260,and a Hotpoint for the last ten years,which cost £320.
I can only remember having the first two repaired a couple or three times each(say £150? for repairs),the Hotpoint hasn't needed a repair yet,but there's only been two of us for the last 12+years not three girls in the house as previously.
£950 for 38 years or less than 50p a week up to present,and the Hotpoint machine is still running OK.
Not bad I reckon :)
Mick F liked this post.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

axel_knutt wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I'd put money on this Miele is still running long after his Indesit dies.

You might well lose it then, these are the current washer dryer reliability figures from Which:

Bosch 80%
Miele 74%
Indesit 73%
Zanussi 72%
AEG 68%
Hotpoint 65%

(I think the percentage relates to the number of machines that haven't broken down within the first 5 years)

My Indesit was the most reliable machine available at £380, and 3.5 times cheaper than the Miele that Which recommended. On that basis the Miele would need to last about 45 years to pay for itself, and I'm not likely to live that long.

Ah.... But my Miele cost me £50 I've now used it at least five times a week for five years. At 20p per week I'm already beating the 50p a week mentioned elsewhere.
The reason I had the confidence to buy a ten year old machine was because I've witnessed the build quality in them compared to cheaper ones I've fixed for myself and other people. No way would I chance£50 on an a 10 yo Indesit especially if it has plastic paddles.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:Ah.... But my Miele cost me £50 I've now used it at least five times a week for five years. At 20p per week I'm already beating the 50p a week mentioned elsewhere.........

Come back in 33 years and let us know how yer getting on :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I hope I can [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
Aged 97
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Admiration for reohn2! Watching the pennies! And with him hanging out that washing on the line by the courtesy of Mr Sun and Mrs Wind,all dry and aired gratis! "That's the way to do it" Mr Punch. You can always spot a old timer CTC-er.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont think that Mr Rain would have allowed that for months now.

Real old timers (complete with beard) hang the washing near the Rayburn, then it sucks all the moist air out of the clothes, through the fire and up the chimney. 8)