Main roads that don't allow cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
OldGreyBeard

Main roads that don't allow cycling

Post by OldGreyBeard »

How many A roads are there that don't allow cycling?
One that comes to my mind is the A505 through the Weston Tunnels near Baldock, Herts where there is a sign listing prohibited traffic (pedestrians, cycles, invalid carriages, animals and motorbikes under 50cc). They have to go the long way round.
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin
gaz

Re: Main roads that don't allow cycling

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
irc

Post by irc »

The Edinburgh Bypass bans cycles. As does the Clyde Tunnel though there is a separate cycle tunnel. Also the A725 Glasgow Southern Orbital (East kilbride to Newton Mearns)
Last edited by irc on 31 Jan 2016, 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Probably a lot of road tunnels come under that restriction. Three that I know of are the Cuilfail Tunnel on the A26 at Lewes, the Southwick Hill tunnel on the A27 at - well - Southwick, obviously; and the Hindhead Tunnel on the A3 at (guess!) Hindhead.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

I can sort of see why road tunnels should have restrictions although there should be a signed diversion.

Other roads as mentioned in the linked to thread from 2012 seem less justified. Its no so much that anyone would want to cycle there, more that motorists are swift to complain if they are ever restricted from using a road. If it is that allowed non-motorway roads can have restrictions as to use, then that should also included some roads excluding cars.
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Dartford Crossing - cyclists have to pull into a layby and their bikes are then loaded onto a trailer and towed through/over and then unloaded at the other end.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The A630 Sheffield Parkway - although why you'd want to ride from the city centre to the M1 is beyond me!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

foxyrider wrote:The A630 Sheffield Parkway - although why you'd want to ride from the city centre to the M1 is beyond me!

No, but you might want to go to Catcliffe.
millimole

Post by millimole »

There is a temporary prohibition on the A14 between the A5199 (near Welford) and the M1/M6/Cathorpe junction. This is because the access to roads other than the motorways at the M1/M6 are blocked off for roadworks.
Although why anyone in their right head would ever even think about cycling on the A14 is beyond me.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
spanner1718

Post by spanner1718 »

I have cycled through Weston tunnel a couple of times until I noticed the sign when I drove through!! To me it was just an A road.
boliston

Post by boliston »

I think there is a video of a cyclist using the limehouse link on youtube - although he seemed to be the fastest vehicle using it at the time
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

spanner1718 wrote:I have cycled through Weston tunnel a couple of times until I noticed the sign when I drove through!! To me it was just an A road.

Really, it is a great big hulking dual carriageway of a bypass for Baldock. I can't think why you'd plan a route that used it, or even end up on it by accident. Where we you heading from / to?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think all the tunnels on the A55 across North Wales are no cycling, I assume the excuse they use is air pollution but I suspect it may be just an excuse.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

There's a stretch of the A19 from Wynyard to beyond Thornaby that is 'cyclists prohibited', this came about after a cyclist was killed by a lorry on that particular stretch. Banning cyclists instead of addressing the real problem was the cause of some discussion at the time but the was no real opposition unfortunately.
OldGreyBeard

Post by OldGreyBeard »

Here's the link to the Government press release on the A19 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cyclists-banned-from-using-the-a19

Having had a look at the A19 on Google Earth, it looks very like the A421 between the M1 and A1 South of Bedford. A cyclist was killed on that road a few weeks ago.

I wonder if Highways England are using the A19 as a test case?