Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PhilPub

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Post by PhilPub »

I'm a porridge fiend but I'm still finding new combinations for a bit of variety. Only last week I went with the usual semi-skimmed milk and a good pinch of salt, but for the first time the sweetener was supplied in the form of marmalade. (Seville, with the bits in, obviously.) Tremendous!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Gosh - I'd forgotten about Golden Syrup! Yes, good on porridge. We had the smashingest-ever cook at prep school and we used to get steamed suet puddings for afters, (as well as Spotted Dick and Jam Roley Poley too!) and the one that came with Golden Syrup was a plain pudding, cooked as they all should be, so that the top went a bit crisp... and the GS came in a whacking great jug!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Honey. Honey and raisins. Best porridge ever. I make mine with 1/3 oats, 1/3 milk, 1/3 water whether I microwave it or cook it on the hob. A dash of milk on the top after serving and it's great.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You should move to Paris, Brucey. I have never seen a city full of so many people with good taste, almost to the last person. Every gimmick is met with disdain here, especially when it comes to food. I love it.

(But the rest of France is as bad as the UK, in my experience.)

Porridge is remarkably nutritious. Every time I eat it (about twice a week for breakfast, usually with some cinnamon) I wonder why anyone spends a fortune on sugary cereals instead. So many people – but not in Paris! – have forgotten how to eat properly.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Samuel D wrote:(But the rest of France is as bad as the UK, in my experience.)

France is the only country where I've found myself choosing McDonalds as the healthy option.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Nowadays I tend to make porridge by pouring boiling water over oats, adding (whole) milk and raisins and bringing back to the boil. I don't usually have honey if it's got raisins or similar in it, but will probably add some otherwise.

I've heard the name of this Oat-so-Simple (sp?) thing but not really paid attention to it or consciously seen it. It sounds like cup-a-soup, pot noodles, Ready Brek, etc. Does it give you a Sellafield glow? :D
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Porridge made with oatmeal (not rolled oats) and a bit of salt every time. Making it with milk is the ruination of a fine dish. Cold milk, as everyone should know, accompanies porridge once made. But then I am Scottish 8)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

honesty wrote:You cant make proper porridge without milk anyway

Oh yes you can. Proper porridge is made with water.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

3/4 cup of Tesco's "Scottish Oats".
1.5 cups of water & microwave for 2 minutes.
Take out & stir then re-microwave about another minute or until just boils.
Done.
I used to use Quaker oats but found Tesco's to be just as good but cheaper.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
honesty

Post by honesty »

pete75 wrote:
honesty wrote:You cant make proper porridge without milk anyway

Oh yes you can. Proper porridge is made with water.

That's just wrong :wink:
beardy

Post by beardy »

If you mean that making porridge with water is wrong, then I would agree with you.

On the other hand "proper" porridge for Scottish masochists from the wee threes, is probably made with water, some salt and if you are lucky broken glass on special days. :lol:
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I keep a small sack of Scottish oats in my drawer a work, dash of honey or freeze dried fruit, milk, zap in the microwave.. Lovely!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I recently discovered Sainsbury’s porridge, the stuff they serve up in their café, by gum is it good, especially with golden syrup, far better than anything I can make at home.
Beauty will save the world.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Fancy stuff here. Mine is half a dish of real oats, enough milk to make it float. Varying every day through taking bugger all care creates variety. 3 minutes in a 850w micro wave. Done.
Stir in a heaped teaspoon full of chocolate spread ( use the spoon straight out of your coffee cup and its hot enough for the spread not to stick.) and its good to go.
Some freaks, like my wife, like it sloppy. You can invert the dish with mine and it stays there.
Then again I feel that the optimum consistency for all food is malt loaf.