Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Slowroad

Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by Slowroad »

Doing the rounds on Facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ua92cASvgw
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Heltor Chasca

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I don't know what to say. [emoji27]
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I am astonished, how can that be?
beardy

Post by beardy »

Owner says they were not driving it, police cant be bothered collecting difficult to find evidence that he (or whoever else) was.
VanDriver

Post by VanDriver »

Bonefishblues wrote:I am astonished, how can that be?

Well... if a child had been hit... if a stationary Audi had been hit... if a celebrity had been hit.. etc etc... then perhaps the authorities would have done the right thing. But it was a cyclist.
meic

Post by meic »

When I was a motorcycle courier, one of our riders was hospitalised by a car but he got their number plate.

The Police kept saying that they couldnt find the car or they couldnt contact the owner. So the entire courier fleet was given the number plate. We repeatedly saw the car and radioed it in and it was forwarded to the Police. We even followed the car home and watched it while the Police were informed. They absolutely refused to follow up and kept saying they couldnt find the driver, even though we gave them the address and had watched him enter the house.

In the end we decided the driver must have been connected to the Police and we were never going to get anywhere with it.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think time and time again we see that the police are genuinely a waste of space. If they can't prosecute that then there's seriously no hope.
They may as well just have a ticker tape outside police stations with crime numbers on. You can just rip them off as you need them. Save the country a fortune.

They should at least have the decency to give you the drivers address so that you can provide 'alternative' justice... :twisted:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

That's truly shocking. It occurred almost outside my office (I work in the 3 storey building with the grey roof, next to the BBC building.) London Road Island is truly awful for cyclists, it is busy all day long and worse in rush hour. However, there's really no excuse for that driving.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
meic

Post by meic »

kwackers wrote:I think time and time again we see that the police are genuinely a waste of space. If they can't prosecute that then there's seriously no hope.
They may as well just have a ticker tape outside police stations with crime numbers on. You can just rip them off as you need them. Save the country a fortune.

They should at least have the decency to give you the drivers address so that you can provide 'alternative' justice... :twisted:

We DID have the driver's address but as we were pretty convinced he was CID it seemed likely that any 'alternative' justice would not have been equally ignored by the Police.
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Attempted murder. No other way to describe it. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
karlt

Post by karlt »

661-Pete wrote:Attempted murder. No other way to describe it. :(

You think the intent was specifically to kill?
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Shocking, can't think of another way of describing it.

What would the chances be of a private prosecution getting a result for the cyclist?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

karlt wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Attempted murder. No other way to describe it. :(

You think the intent was specifically to kill?

There are more subtle ways to tickle a cyclist. Using a 2 ton suv isn't one of them.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

If all the above is as it is presented this is criminal. And no action??? I wonder if you can get interest from another front? Further publicity? Coming out with what you have found? Filing more questions for radio/tv(they're always looking for stories). Are you from a minority group or religion. "Hot topic" but a local you can be looked over,if you are from a minority group(racial or religious)you could claim discriminatory practice.

You could be a wheelchair job after this stunt. Crackers. Dangerous.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Prosecution with that evidence would seem so straightforward, unless there is uncertaintly about who was driving. I'd be surprised if this story doesn't have more to come.