Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kylecycler

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote:
kylecycler wrote:............ Peasemeal brose is still a well kept secret - food of the gods - everyone should try it. 8)
I might try it . ................. and then spit it out.

Sounds absolutely dreadful.

Heretic! :) Seriously, though, I think I might have the same problem with cooked porridge, at least made from flakes, especially the 'instant' stuff, as you. Sends me straight off to sleep. On a bad day if I try to stay awake it makes me depressed, and on a really bad day, just about suicidal. I'm ok with porridge cooked from oatmeal as opposed to oat flakes, but even then it doesn't work too well. Just pure stodge otherwise.

Grandad wrote:Coarse oats with cold milk (muesli minus the fruit) has been my pre-ride breakfast since I started racing in the late 1950s.

That works better for me - the trick I've found is to soak it overnight, otherwise it tends to go right through you. Maybe it takes longer to digest when it's soaked and not cooked, especially when it's coarse oat flakes. Could be something wrong with my blood sugar, but the quicker porridge takes to cook, and therefore to digest, the worse it is for me.

Peasemeal brose definitely is worth a try, though - you might get a bag at your local health shop. Tastes like... peasemeal brose. :)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Eight kilos of peasemeal should keep you going for quite a while. I used to mix it with medium oatmeal for brose. Great stuff made of course with boiling water poured on and milk added to eat.A touch of salt obviously.
There are lots of claims about terms used in north or south Scotland. Having worked on farms mainly in S.Scotland never heard of crowdie as a kind of brose. My grannie made real crowdie in Sutherland and Mother in Law from Lewis made a slight variation with sour milk added. On the farms we as labourers got porridge at least twice a day to help keep us fuelled up. We did work pretty hard tho' about 60 years ago. No fancy machinery then.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

kylecycler wrote:
Grandad wrote:Coarse oats with cold milk (muesli minus the fruit) has been my pre-ride breakfast since I started racing in the late 1950s.

That works better for me - the trick I've found is to soak it overnight, otherwise it tends to go right through you. Maybe it takes longer to digest when it's soaked and not cooked, especially when it's coarse oat flakes. Could be something wrong with my blood sugar, but the quicker porridge takes to cook, and therefore to digest, the worse it is for me.
I've heard it said more than once that eating raw seeds and grains isn't the best thing for us because they can either have phyto-toxins present (think raw beans), which can cause unpleasant symptoms - anything from wind to fatigue and migraines. Or raw chemical compounds that can restrict the bio-availability of beneficial nutrients.

As a slightly different example, many people intolerant to lactose will be able to tolerate yoghurt, because of chemical changes that have taken place in the ferment process.

I've got to admit that my friend has suggested that I soak my muesli/porridge overnight. I'm afraid I forget to soak, but I don't have any issues..although Kylecycler suggested above that regular porridge can cause depression :shock: ...perhaps it was the porridge all along :lol: :? :roll: And they told me that oats were good for mood :P
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote:
I also have an aversion to milk - this makes porridge a joy I have to forego.
I'm quite envious.

You can make porridge with water and if the oats are good quality (i like sainsburys finest) you won't loose much taste. Camping i use water.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote:Gosh - I'd forgotten about Golden Syrup! Yes, good on porridge. We had the smashingest-ever cook at prep school and we used to get steamed suet puddings for afters, (as well as Spotted Dick and Jam Roley Poley too!) and the one that came with Golden Syrup was a plain pudding, cooked as they all should be, so that the top went a bit crisp... and the GS came in a whacking great jug!

Have you escaped from a jennings book?
Sweep
Domus

Post by Domus »

One measure of Jumbo Oats, one measure of cold water, pinch of salt, stirred in and left to soak overnight. Next morning when making morning cuppa add one measure of milk and stir.
Bring to boil while stirring. When up to the boil turn heat to minimum for 5 minutes and give the odd stir, dish out, add Honey and ¼ of an apple (diced) add drop of milk, mix, and enjoy. :mrgreen:

Mine is soaking as I type.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ross K wrote:.

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.

If you make porridge with water, no probs. Let the pan cool (putting cold water in a hot pan can damage it/detach a base) pour some water in it, leave, the remaining skin of porridge pretty much floats off.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

beardy wrote:But one day, one of those cookery programmes will teach us how to make an old traditional dish called porridge, it will become fashionable and be served in all the poshest restaurants

and we will all be saved!

You are out of touch. It has long been fashionable in shoreditch. Tho god knows why anyone would wander out of their cosy kitchen to buy porridge from a bearded poser. Unless sex was in the offing.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Norman H wrote:
At the risk of offending the purists, for real rocket fuel, try Nutella

Think yourself lucky that you are in this blessed isle, for in italy, the home of nutella, oats are damn hard to come by - which has caused problems with my favoured cycle snack production. I have been told that many italians think oats are horse food.

And your favoured combination would probably be banned by a hastily introduced law anyway - italians can be very anal when it comes to food. I will make a point of exploring your exciting porridge/nutella universe.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Nutella is best eaten straight from the jar with a spoon, or if no spoon is available, fingers. Goes well in porridge or rice pudding though if you have to dilute the Nutella goodness ;)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Sweep wrote:
Norman H wrote:
At the risk of offending the purists, for real rocket fuel, try Nutella

Think yourself lucky that you are in this blessed isle, for in italy, the home of nutella, oats are damn hard to come by - which has caused problems with my favoured cycle snack production. I have been told that many italians think oats are horse food.

And your favoured combination would probably be banned by a hastily introduced law anyway - italians can be very anal when it comes to food. I will make a point of exploring your exciting porridge/nutella universe.

Would it be more practical for this culinary union to meet in say, France? :P
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Sweep wrote:
Ross K wrote:.

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.

If you make porridge with water, no probs. Let the pan cool (putting cold water in a hot pan can damage it/detach a base) pour some water in it, leave, the remaining skin of porridge pretty much floats off.

Ah, but this does depend on a number of factors, including pan quality and thickness, stove type (yes), length of cooking time and heat intensity.

Also how polished the pan is. A stainless steel pan can be coarsely finished, or highly polished. Only the highly polished pan will allow the ingrained porridge skin to detach readily.

I consider that SS pan finish is actually a conspiracy to make people buy more teflon coated pans, as most SS pans are badly finished. But what do I know..
SussexMan

Post by SussexMan »

NUKe wrote:Brose
Not quite I found a recipe, for overnight porridge on the NHS website the other day and thought I would give it a try, it was basically mixing oats and apple juice leaving in the fridge overnight. made a rather tasty breakfast, although not quite Brose and not quite what I would call Porridge either> it was a little too sweet but I'll probably experiment with Apple juice and water for the next try.

Stew some cooking apples until they become a bit pulpy, throw in some dried fruit and oats and add some fruit juice, orange works well. My kids love it. Ideal in the autumn with windfall apples.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Sweep wrote:
simonineaston wrote:Gosh - I'd forgotten about Golden Syrup! Yes, good on porridge. We had the smashingest-ever cook at prep school and we used to get steamed suet puddings for afters, (as well as Spotted Dick and Jam Roley Poley too!) and the one that came with Golden Syrup was a plain pudding, cooked as they all should be, so that the top went a bit crisp... and the GS came in a whacking great jug!

Have you escaped from a jennings book?

Can't be - the boys of Linbury Court were always united in their criticism of both the quality and the quantity of the food. Hence Jennings getting punished for having a pocket telescope at the dining table, pretending his prunes (in custard) were too small to be seen with the naked eye.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Sweep wrote:

Not just in Italy, famously Dr Johnson defined oats as: 'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people'. Today he may of course have made a disparaging reference to cyclists...