Weinmann High Pressure Dimpled Rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NorwichVelo

Weinmann High Pressure Dimpled Rims

Post by NorwichVelo »

Hello

Does anybody know if the 27 1/4 Weinmann dimpled rims were anodised at all? It's odd because they look like they are but they are not inside the rim which I'd think was impossible? I'm just wondering how best to polish them up? Auto sol and wire wool?

Regards
Brucey

Re: Weinmann High Pressure Dimpled Rims

Post by Brucey »

if you use a little solvol autosol on the rims you will soon find out what they are;

- 30s of rubbing and the solvol is still white-coloured on the rag = anodised

- 30s of rubbing and the polish has gone black and is getting blacker = non-anodised (i.e. polished)

There is a third possibility which is that the rim is clear-coated or painted, but I'd imagine that you would spot that.

From memory (you mean the Birmalux style rim, right?) these rims were originally polished, but weather to a somewhat grey colour because of the particular grade of aluminium that was used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

If you mean the Weinmann concave rims like these then the only finish I've seen them in is polished.
I'd avoid using wire wool and stick to a soft cloth and Autosol to get the best finish.
Attachments
mms_20160207_111739.jpg
NorwichVelo

Post by NorwichVelo »

Thanks gents as they are 27 inch I'm keen to rebuild them and get them in use again. Thanks for the advice.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a note of caution; the Weinmann rims made to the older Birmalux design (with no eyelets, but with dimples at every spoke hole), like this;

(as well as the originals) are usually not hook beaded (crotcheted) rims. Thus when you come to use them you need to be carful about tyre fit and tyre pressure.

Schwalbe for example issue guidance that mandates a lower maximum pressure on any tyre fitted to such a rim; from memory about 1.0bar (~15psi) lower than whatever it says on the sidewall.

I would very strongly recommend that you clean both the rim and tyre carefully using solvent before fitment; I've had new tyres blow off such rims because of the mould release compound on them; any trace of oil or polish on the rim is harmful too. Friction between the tyre and rim is important in retaining tyres on these rims, as is the nature of the fit; too loose and they can creep off in use at high pressures.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Another useful tip when polishing alloy using Solvol autosol is to use a piece of net curtain as a rag, more aggressive than a rag but cannot mark the surface. :wink:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Hemipode wrote:If you mean the Weinmann concave rims like these then the only finish I've seen them in is polished.
I'd avoid using wire wool and stick to a soft cloth and Autosol to get the best finish.

I had one of those (in fact it's still laced onto a hub an just hanging unused in the garage) IMHO a very strong rim, but a horrible design because any water just gathers in the concave 'trough'
I know a lot of riders like polished rims, but I think anodised rims are absolutely great - cut the cleaning time to a minimum!