The perfect pub?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

The perfect pub?

Post by al_yrpal »

How George Orwell influenced the 21st Century pub - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35235234

Mine, in the winter has a roaring log fire, no WiFi, cask ales, comfortable seats, conversation and a friendly face behind the bar. In the summer an attractive outside space with the sun shining.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Richard Fairhurst

Re: The perfect pub?

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I'm surprised we've not seen more cycling-themed pubs. The Freewheel in Graveney (Kent) appears to be the only one so far: http://www.thefreewheel.pub/ ...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Mine, in the winter has a roaring log fire, no WiFi, cask ales, comfortable seats, conversation and a friendly face behind the bar. In the summer an attractive outside space with the sun shining.
So, in the summer, it has WiFi, no cask ales, uncomfortable seats and an un-friendly face behind the bar? Also, in the winter, there isn't an attractive outside place and the sun never shines?

Sorry, being a little pedantic about your description. :lol:

We here, are surrounded by near perfect pubs. Some with fantastic views and outside areas - even in winter - some have no WiFi and some do, most have good ales, and one or two have a full selection all year round. All are friendly, all are frequented by locals, and most of them know me. :lol:

Cycling?
No problem at all - other than the hills ............. and you don't have to lock your bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Mick F wrote:No problem at all - other than the hills ............. and you don't have to lock your bike.

That would be because the bike won't be going further than the next hill? :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Knowing Devon and Cornwall well, you are much better off with pubs than we are here. There are too many higher rate taxpayers around here splashing the cash and it has ruined our pubs. Too many have turned into high priced restaurants most of which are crap restaurants anyway. Great ordinary pubs are rare and are usually run by pretty special landlords. Every year they get fewer and fewer. My favourite two only serve rolls and are run by families.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: My favourite two only serve rolls and are run by families.

Al

Crikey that is posh - they won't even serve a Bentley.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I very seldom use town pubs. Around my area are many very good country pubs, some with excellent views, all with good ales and ciders, only some provide food, and none of them have Wi Fi as far as I am aware.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Our village pub closed 5yrs ago.
Whenever I'm near Carnforth I use the micro pub on the station platform. Just like pubs used to be 50 yrs ago, no food, real ales, closed by 9.
http://thesnugmicropub.blogspot.co.uk/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I haven't been to a pub for ages. While on a charity ride I went into The George in Bathampton last summer. I had a pint on the grass by the canal outside. It was so busy inside it seems to lack personality. It is very successful in a treadmill kind of way. Nice looking from the outside but not my scene. Also I need to get out more. When on earth did it cost more than £3 for a pint?

The Cross Guns, a few clicks down the canal at Avonclffe is more my thing...b
jan19

Post by jan19 »

We normally go out on a Friday night for a pub meal, and have a few favourites.

Our very best favourite has the following:

Its a small pub, so doesn't need too many people in it to make it feel full and buzzing.

It isn't "plastic" - lots of old quirky bits of the building.

The owner (Sarah) and waitress (Julie) now know us, and are happy to stand and chat.

The food is good, plentiful, reasonably priced, the menu extensive, with a varied and ever changing "specials" board.

Oh, and Sarah's hubby Paul supports my football team - there's a CPFC scarf hanging at the door :D

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DaveP wrote:
Mick F wrote:No problem at all - other than the hills ............. and you don't have to lock your bike.

That would be because the bike won't be going further than the next hill? :D
Yep! :lol:

Anyone cycling round here deserves respect .......... or sympathy.

However, there is no doubt a sort of person who will steal a bike no matter where you live. I wouldn't leave a bike - especially an MTB or BMX sort of bike alone, because some young erk will half-inch it and joy-ride it. The sort of bikes you're likely to ride through this neck of the woods aren't the sort of bikes that the young erks want.

Towns and cities are different of course ........... even down here.
Mick F. Cornwall
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Funny isn't it about "desirable"bikes. Hubby paid arm and two legs for his tourer. Astonishing money, but he loves it to bits, and he has done hundreds if not thousands of miles on it. But he could leave it unchained outside a pub and it would be fine (no, he doesn't. D lock at least. My humble hybrid gets chained up alongside it too :D )

A BSO if it looked like a mountain bike costing £100 would be a target.....

Jan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

We call in at a pub for lunch sometimes if we're on the road, but the days of going out for a pint are long over.

I presume when you say George Orwell influenced the 'perfect' 21st century pub, you aren't thinking of this specimen (from 1984):
George Orwell wrote:He paused for a moment at the top of the steps. On the opposite side of the alley there was a dingy little pub whose windows appeared to be frosted
over but in reality were merely coated with dust. A very old man, bent but active, with white moustaches that bristled forward like those of a prawn,
pushed open the swing door and went in .... a lunatic impulse took hold of him. He would go into the pub, he would scrape acquaintance with that old man and question him....
He pushed open the door, and a hideous cheesy smell of sour beer hit him in the face. As he entered the din of voices dropped to about half its volume. Behind his back he could feel everyone eyeing his blue overalls. A game of darts which was going on at the other end of the room interrupted itself for perhaps as much as thirty seconds.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I haven't been to a pub for ages. While on a charity ride I went into The George in Bathampton last summer. I had a pint on the grass by the canal outside. It was so busy inside it seems to lack personality. It is very successful in a treadmill kind of way. Nice looking from the outside but not my scene. Also I need to get out more. When on earth did it cost more than £3 for a pint?

The Cross Guns, a few clicks down the canal at Avonclffe is more my thing...b

I agree the George looks the part from the outside, but inside it is characterless and serves really uninspiring food. Last night I attended my first pub quiz in 28 years (Star Inn, Wick, Vale of Glamorgan). We won. But it was the most tedious, drawn out affair and after an hour I wished I could just get up and walk out. I won't make that mistake again.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:........... the days of going out for a pint are long over.
Why?

We are in walking distance of:
Rifle Volunteer
Queen's Head
Tamar Inn
Boot Inn
Rising Sun Inn
Cornish Arms
Tavistock Arms
Buccaneer Inn
White Hart Inn

All of which serve at least one real ale, and some four or five.
Mick F. Cornwall