Heathrow airport by bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
el flaco

Heathrow airport by bike

Post by el flaco »

Looking at the Heathrow airport website, it now states (no date given) that you now can't cycle through the main tunnel to terminal 3. I was under the impression that this was always forbidden but that you should use the parallel service tunnels where cyclists have right of way over other traffic, which is what i have done in the past.

They mention a free bus service.

So what's that all about?
el flaco

Re: Heathrow airport by bike

Post by el flaco »

Not really, that's what I read.

I'm used to cycling to terminal three. Now I have to find an infrequent bus to take me a few hundred yards. Why? And where is the bus?
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

We fell foul of this last year arriving into T3 with a tandem. Not sure I can answer all your questions because the web pages I got information from seem to have disappeared, but from what I can remember...

This is a temporary arrangement while the tunnels are refurbished. The intention is to bring the service tunnels back into use as a cycle route when the refurbishment is finished. Not sure if its going to be one dedicated tunnel two way for cyclists (which I encountered in 2014) or one way tunnels shared with taxis as before.

For us, the best route in/out was via T5 and Heathrow Express (fast, frequent and free between terminals). Cycle paths to T5 are excellent.

Heathrow seem genuinely keen that their workforce cycle (to do with targets they have for air pollution/CO2 I think). I think the bus you mentioned is primarily for Heathrow workers who are encouraged to park at the Cycle Hub and get the bus in. (Not sure if it's the same bus to actually take your bike in.) It might be worth contacting the Cycle Hub with your questions. http://www.heathrow.com/company/heathrow-jobs/commuting-to-heathrow/cycle-hub

This page http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2015/08/about-85-million-spent-to-update-heathrow-tunnels-and-reinforce-them-against-heavy-a380s-above/ says the work is to be completed this month, so depending on when you are travelling, you may not have a problem.
el flaco

Post by el flaco »

Great reply thanks. I hadn't realised it was temporary.