Keeping feet properly warm

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

Re: Keeping feet properly warm

Post by whoof »

Vantage wrote:2 pairs of overshoes. My smaller pair have a rubber like finish on the outside for water resistance and the bigger pair of normal neoprene overshoes just slide over the inner pair. Worth a try?

If it gets really cold I also use two pairs of overshoes. The inside pair are windproof with a slightly fleecy lining and the outside pair are neoprene. This set-up means my feet aren't squashed into my shoes as they might be with extra or thicker socks. A few weeks ago when it was -5 c I did a couple of hours and my feet were fine.

Also, try to make sure your feet are warm before you go out. Put your shoes near the radiator and you socks on them.
jk49

Post by jk49 »

I thought my Northwave Artic celsius (spelling of artic is correct if a bit odd) were expensive, but seem like good value when compared to those wolvehammers!
I wear mine in anything below about 10c with thin h20pro style over shoes to keep spray/mud off. Above that they get too hot. They are fantasticly warm and the best thing I've bought for winter cycling.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Make sure too that your legs are warm, so that the blood flowing into your feet is already well heated. Long socks, gaiters to reduce windchill, or both together.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gaz wrote:These look like a real cold weather boot: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/45n ... 9845-p.asp
SUGGESTED TEMPERATURE RANGE 0° (-18°C) to 25°F (-3°C)

Looking them you might just as well bolt some spd cleats onto the bottom of your ski boots.... :)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

pete75 wrote:
gaz wrote:These look like a real cold weather boot: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/45n ... 9845-p.asp
SUGGESTED TEMPERATURE RANGE 0° (-18°C) to 25°F (-3°C)

Looking them you might just as well bolt some spd cleats onto the bottom of your ski boots.... :)

I think that's what they've done, nice warm feet though :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'd second (or umpteenth) the suggestion that specific winter boots are much warmer than summer shoes plus overshoes. Northwave is a much-recommended make. Mine are Scot, probably not so warm but quite a bit cheaper (about £70 but I can't remember where from now; it was a couple of years ago anyway). And they do (all makes) need to be a size or two bigger than normal so you have room for thick, woolly socks.

Some people reckon they can feel the metal cleat on the bottom acting as a heatsink. I think there's something in that, but probably not enough to make it worth riding flat unless you're happy with that anyway. OTOH, you could fashion a nice set of foot-fairings out of toe clips and plastic milk bottles...
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I wear leather lightweight walking boots (Brasher) with a thick mountaineering sock (Smartwool) and Buffalo teclite trousers. No more cold achey feet
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

may be you also need to think about keeping your legs warm? I dont have a cold feet health issue but I do notice that if I keep my legs warm by eg wearing the ex army softies then my feet dont get cold - I sit alot in the cold. cold ( but not uncomfortably cold ) legs dont help?
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

I use chemical footwarmers, 10 pairs for about a fiver.

I stick one on the outside of my cycling shoes above the toes and then put on overshoes or toewarmers over that.

When I feel the cold it is in my toes but this stops it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Geoff.D wrote:Specifically for my feet whilst cycling I've done two things. Firstly, over and above the things you've done, DoctorRad, I wear a shoe size bigger than I wear in warm weather. I believe it gives me more space to have a warm layer of air around my socks. It also allows me to wiggle my toes, which also helps. Secondly, I used a pair of waterproof sealskinz socks, which were very good.

Agree with Geoff, winter shoes need to be at least a size bigger so you wear more layers or thicker wool socks, you need more space in the boot.
SPD are great heat sinks so winter boots of the type that isolate the SPD from the inside of the sho,e such specialized defrosters, are great. or if you use flat pedals hiking boots have good insulating properties.

Normal cycling shoes are designed to keep your feet cool, think about buying winter specific shoes.

Keeping the legs warm will increase the blood flow to your feet, think about some of the soft-shell winter tights, wear an extra layer under your longs, there are some good base layer available these days ,
Don't use high gears, use low gears and higher cadence to keep the feet warm
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

bainbridge wrote:I use chemical footwarmers, 10 pairs for about a fiver.

Maybe the microwaveable ones are a little more environmentally friendly? Also, there are microwaveable insoles, heated socks, and other things that provide warmth for cold feet, if insulation alone isn't enough.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Feet were cold today with the rain, only have water repellent over shoes and there only cheap ones, when they new they were acceptable but they are past their sell by date.
Problem is I use clips and straps so normal overshoes designed for clippless get ripped very quickly at the sole, any ideas apart from some sort of winter shoes / boots.
Forty years ago I made some overshoes because there was little or no cycling stuff available, a step up from plastic bags and elastic bands :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Feet were cold today with the rain, only have water repellent over shoes and there only cheap ones, when they new they were acceptable but they are past their sell by date.
Problem is I use clips and straps so normal overshoes designed for clippless get ripped very quickly at the sole, any ideas apart from some sort of winter shoes / boots.
Forty years ago I made some overshoes because there was little or no cycling stuff available, a step up from plastic bags and elastic bands :)

Maybe motorcycling ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Racing-Ra ... 1034215199
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Boot_Covers- ... tegory=346
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
drossall

Post by drossall »

Way back when, (male) cyclists used to borrow their wives' tights or stockings. This works because it's the layer of trapped air that creates the warmth, so you get a layer for virtually no thickness.

I can't recall ever doing it. It sounds as though it would work well unless you crashed, at which point you might have some explaining to do.