Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2016

Post by Philip Benstead »

http://www.ctc.org.uk/agm

AGM 2016

Our annual celebration of CTC and cycling

The Annual General Meeting of the Cyclists’ Touring Club will be held at on

Saturday 7th May 2016

at the Hallmark Hotel, Midland Road, Derby, DE1 2SQ.

Start time is to be confirmed shortly.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Steady rider

Re: CTC AGM 2016

Post by Steady rider »

The following motions have been submitted. The word count is restricted so only an outline of the merits can be provided. The first three motions would help to improve safety or cycling conditions. Te last two on helmets would help to keep choice for the individual.

European Union Climate Change

The CTC to promote a European Union climate change policy of national governments funding cycling infrastructure, with a 3% minimum investment of transport spending on cycling infrastructure (built to CROW standards) or investment in relationship to the modal share of cycling.
Reasons
Trying to ensure that reasonable levels of funding are available to provide cycling infrastructure in all EU countries. The CTC may gain support via MEPs and in conjunction with the ECF.

Legal requirement for minimum passing clearance

The AGM requests a legal requirement for minimum passing clearance when overtaking or near to cyclists, to try and reduce the frequency of motor vehicles passing too close. On roads with speed limits up to and including 30 mph/hr or when passing at a speed up to and including 30 mph/hr, a 1m minimum is suggested and on roads with higher speed limits, a 1.5m minimum passing distance is suggested. In addition, on narrow roads frequent passing places should be provided.
Reasons
Trying to provide an extra incentive for drivers to only overtaking when suitable space is available. http://cyclingtips.com/2015/10/south-au ... -cyclists/

Bridge Charity Group

The CTC to establish a CTC Bridge charity group (initially expected to be based on volunteers), with the aims of assessing the need, advising on design, and assist in raising funds to provide extra bridges or crossing facilities for rivers, roads or rail in regards to cycling.
Reasons
CTC could assist in highlighting where an additional crossing may be worthwhile, provide design advice and help to raise funds. This could result in the CTC being more directly involved in providing more cycle routes and working with Sustrans or others to deliver them.

Helmet use

The AGM requests that all CTC rides and events promoted by the CTC or advertised in Cycle do not insist on riders wearing helmets.
Reasons
The CTC helmet policy is to allow choice in helmet use and the motion adds support to the policy.

Helmets in Cycle

The AGM requests that editorial priority for 'Cycle' is to provide a balance of pictures showing cyclists with and without helmets.
Reasons
CTC policy is to oppose helmet legislation and not to promote helmets. Cycle tends to include more pictures of helmeted cyclists and a greater effort to provide a balance is required. Failure to provide a balance could be a form of promotion.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Steady rider wrote:Helmets in Cycle

The AGM requests that editorial priority for 'Cycle' is to provide a balance of pictures showing cyclists with and without helmets.
Reasons
CTC policy is to oppose helmet legislation and not to promote helmets. Cycle tends to include more pictures of helmeted cyclists and a greater effort to provide a balance is required. Failure to provide a balance could be a form of promotion.

I'm not pro-helmets (I generally only wear one when I have to) but I think that it is a tricky one

• Advertisers may well just not bother as they probably have a "standard" advert for all publications, some of which may expect helmets.

• In the latest Cycle, in the double page photo of CTC Torbay (pp4/5) there is only one rider out of 13 in the picture who may not be wearing a helmet (& it is difficult to tell).

• On pp 56-58 in the article about ride leader workshops, again a majority - pictured on CTC rides - are wearing helmets.
From my, albeit limited experience, of CTC rides the vast majority of participants wear helmets (I don't think there were any non wearers out of over 30 on the ride I was on last month). If the vast majority of CTC riders are wearing them should picture coverage of CTC events be banned? Whilst the aims are good, I'm just not sure of the practicality of it.

Or should there be a compulsory picture/article on Amsterdam or Copenhagen to create a balance? Or maybe a black bar over helmets in a photo similar to when publications hide someone's "naughty bits"! :wink:

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

As you refer pictures of groups and adverts do lead to a majority of pictures showing helmeted riders.

Helmets in Cycle

Reasons
CTC policy is to oppose helmet legislation and not to promote helmets. Cycle tends to include more pictures of helmeted cyclists and a greater effort to provide a balance is required. Failure to provide a balance could be a form o

The previous motion;
Helmet use

The AGM requests that all CTC rides and events promoted by the CTC or advertised in Cycle do not insist on riders wearing helmets.
Reasons
The CTC helmet policy is to allow choice in helmet use and the motion adds support to the policy.

From this motion any rides promoted or advertised in cycle would have to allow for choice to be included, so some adverts may have to change, helping to create a balance.

editorial priority for 'Cycle' is to provide a balance of pictures showing cyclists with and without helmets
The editor would have to try and meet the requirement by including more pictures of riders without helmets. Pictures provided by professional organisation would become aware of Cycle editorial priority needs. The editor could request photos submitted to try and reflect a balance. People providing pictures would have an incentive to include some not wearing helmets.
a greater effort to provide a balance
by the above actions more photos of non wearers should be the outcome. A wider range of photos may result and add interest. The magazine may also have more appeal to readers who may not wear helmets or wear them part of the time.
edit added

links are provided on the issue of passing clearance. http://irishcycle.com/2014/12/02/1-5-me ... -bicycles/

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... sts-204275
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Ummm....@Steady rider

Are you saying that pictures of CTC members wearing helmets should be actively censored because accurate reporting takes second place to propaganda?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The AGM requests that editorial priority for 'Cycle' is to provide a balance of pictures showing cyclists with and without helmets

and

Are you saying that pictures of CTC members wearing helmets should be actively censored because accurate reporting takes second place to propaganda?

in brief the answer is no the motions do not say that, they ask for a balance of pictures and for events not insisting on helmet use, allowing choice.
Cycle tends to include more pictures of helmeted cyclists and a greater effort to provide a balance is required

Readers of Cycle mainly consist of cyclists, some wear or sometimes wear helmets and others who do not wear helmets, the magazine should try and keep readers content to receive and read the magazine, this may be possible with a balanced approach as suggested.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Steady rider wrote:Readers of Cycle mainly consist of cyclists, some wear or sometimes wear helmets and others who do not wear helmets, the magazine should try and keep readers content to receive and read the magazine, this may be possible with a balanced approach as suggested.

Let's not beat around the bush: the majority of cyclists in this country don't wear helmets and Cycle should reflect that if it wants to get back in touch with cyclists. I recognise that many photos are of events and many events (especially BC-linked ones) now require helmets and so that will skew it, but in the first 20ish pages of a random edition (I got bored after 20 pages) the unhelmetted ones are one "inclusive"(?), two foreign, someone on rollers, a chap on a Boris bike and two of four in a CTC advert, so a total of 7 of 41, or about 17%. Only four of the 34 helmeteers come from another advert - it's mostly the editorial. Even three cyclist silhouette drawings all had helmets on, all leant well forwards on DF bikes :(

This unreflectivity(?) is even wider. Of those 41, there's only the "inclusive" chap not on a DF and only two others on upright/city/Dutchish/whatever bikes. It's mainly head-down bum-up, jersey-and-clips wearers. You know, the sort of people I give a wide berth at the lights because they're probably going to insist on out-accelerating me as we set off, even if that means I'm going to be coasting behind them until I can overtake again or we go different ways. :roll:

Anyway, is there any reason why Cycle shouldn't reflect the variety of real Cycling UK?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ron

Post by Ron »

RickH wrote:From my, albeit limited experience, of CTC rides the vast majority of participants wear helmets. If the vast majority of CTC riders are wearing them should picture coverage of CTC events be banned?

Only a tiny minority of CTC members take part in CTC organised rides, so observations of these events cannot give an accurate picture of helmet wearing across the entire membership.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ron wrote:Only a tiny minority of CTC members take part in CTC organised rides, so observations of these events cannot give an accurate picture of helmet wearing across the entire membership.

19% with CTC local groups, according to the last survey I saw.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Can we have a motion about the re-brand? Or would that just be silly?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Deadline for AGM Motions was 1 February 2016*, too late now.

A petition is being raised for a Poll of the Whole Club instead.

Edit *IIRC the deadline applies to motions submitted by members. There is no deadline for motions from Council: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=61495&p=523278&#p524008
Last edited by gaz on 28 Feb 2016, 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ron

Post by Ron »

belgiangoth wrote:Can we have a motion about the re-brand? Or would that just be silly?

Maybe silly is not the word, but IMO it would be unrealistic to suggest a sufficient number of the sleepers, who make up the majority of the membership, could be energised for long enough to post a vote in order to change anything. :D