CEO's statement

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Si

CEO's statement

Post by Si »

I have been asked to post this up....please do not shoot the messenger :wink:

Chief Executive’s statement on CTC’s new brand

Further to our extensive consultation last year with CTC members, member groups, partners and key stakeholders, I am writing in response to the various online posts and discussions to confirm that our charity has a new name.

Through the rebrand process we engaged with over 2000 members, supporters, partners and local and national government departments across the UK. Based on this comprehensive research, and listening to your views, we are confident that this change is one that reflects the pride that we all take in our charity, and that helps to magnify the great work that we do to inspire people into cycling, campaign to protect the gift of cycling, and help people to overcome personal barriers to cycling.
Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and companies registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering. The new name (as I’m sure many of you will now have seen) is ‘Cycling UK’ and the brand ‘we are Cycling UK’ will be adopted as ‘trading name’ of the charity. We are very proud of our heritage and history, and we know that a new name and brand will really help to make our charity even more attractive to many more people.

As planned, we will be officially launching our new name and brand in April, through Cycle magazine, our online communications channels and via the media. We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that your group can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

We hope that you are as excited as we are about this positive step for our charity. Together, We Are Cycling Uk!

gaz

Re: CEO's statement

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:I have been asked to post this up....please do not shoot the messenger :wink:

:shock: Would any of us do that? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

No comment. :lol:
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Does PT fear the sleeping giant?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."[1]
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
horizon

Post by horizon »

Through the rebrand process

I think he meant the rebranding process.

<Edited to remove incorrect attribution>
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Chief Executive’s statement on CTC’s new brand... and the brand ‘we are Cycling UK’ will be adopted as ‘trading name’ of the charity....

They can't really be serious in adopting this as a "brand" ? Good grief. They saw them coming many many miles away. Beggars belief. Weak ... pathetic. Makes me think of "we are the munchkins".

And I bet that all cost then a number with lots of £ with lots of zeros before the decimal point. Money that could have been spent on actually campaigning and actually making things better for cyclists and cycling. Far too much about "the organisation" and not anything to do with the reason they supposedly exist atall (remember ... cycling).

But is does abbreviate to WACU - so maybe worthwhile to al least give us all a good laugh.

I am so gland my money is in my bank account and not theirs this year. I would have been so angry had my money gone towards this joke.

Ian
Philip Benstead

Does this mean PT has something about the night about him?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wacu
Old English[edit]
Etymology[edit]
From Proto-Germanic *wakō, whence also Old High German wahha
Noun[edit]
wacu f
1. wake, watch
Derived terms[edit]
• nihtwacu (night watch)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am not having a go at the messenger.

Why did not some one up the chain of command just post it them selves :?: Publicity officer etc.
Very obvious that some on thinks it important or is this a sounding board for what is planned..............

P.S.Not keen on the new name, CTC is just that well known, Cycling UK sounds a bit straight and patriotic, what do foreign members? if there are any think, probably doesn't change anything, or have we just had a coup....

P.P.S buy all the CTC stuff you can :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
honesty

Post by honesty »

"Humm. The AA has been around a while and, well we need a re-brand. No one knows this name anyway, and we are no longer an association. Lets drop it and get something modern, hip, and web 2.0"
"We are Motoring UK"
"Brilliant. Time for a pint"
Si

Post by Si »

Why did not some one up the chain of command just post it them selves :?: Publicity officer etc.

Fair question. Communications Officer is having issues logging into the forum at the moment.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Si wrote:

Fair question. Communications Officer is having issues logging into the forum at the moment.

Oh my. Sounds like a teetotal brewery. :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:But is does abbreviate to WACU - so maybe worthwhile to al least give us all a good laugh.

Yes, I don't think they thought that through, nor checked http://www.wacu.org and http://www.wacu.info

I offer you this little glimpse of how Campfire Marketing's website portrays cycling:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:But is does abbreviate to WACU - so maybe worthwhile to al least give us all a good laugh.

Yes, I don't think they thought that through, nor checked http://www.wacu.org and http://www.wacu.info

I offer you this little glimpse of how Campfire Marketing's website portrays cycling:

I don't think much of it has been thought through. Just lots of "high powered" lunches "knocking ideas around" everybody feeling real important, spending lots and lots of money on marketing plans and not lots and lots of money on improving things for cycling and cyclists. Lots of time discussing strategic plans and not much time left for improving the state of cycling.

Suggestion for National Office/Marketing consultants: Always check the abbreviations and other meanings. Most companies/organisations always do this.

Ian
Philip Benstead

Si wrote:

Are the anti wrcu causing an allergic reaction to an "invader, the immune system as been triggered..
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:...
Are the anti wrcu causing an allergic reaction to an "invader, the immune system as been triggered..

Sorry, it's WACU not WRCU.