Role model: who is yours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
wrangler_rover

Re: Role model: who is yours?

Post by wrangler_rover »

Mine used to be Rick Wakeman but after thinking long and hard, I don't want to be known as a grumpy old man so I no longer have a role model.
Putting it simply, my personal anthem is the Chesney Hawkes song "I am the one and only."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PaulB wrote:I agree with Audax67 and Mick F.

I've never understood the concept of 'Role Models'. I am me and try to be as nice a person as possible but why would I want to be like someone else. People who need role models must feel somehow inferior and need guidance through life. As has been said; I can admire someone's achievements but I don't necessarily want to be like them.
.......... as an adult I want to live my own life and not become a pale imitation of someone else.

I agree it's odd for an adult having a 'role model'.I actually find the term itself slightly nauseating.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Täve Schur from Magdeburg, he is 85 today. His greatest moment was when he came second in the world championship, his team-mate sneaked away to win because all the other riders were watching Täve.

Longyfarchiadau, Meister!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

The phrase Role Model is usually applied to a person who is in a prominent position in the media, with the potential to influence the world view of young people who are still developing their idea of what life is about. I'm not the least bit interested on football, but I have always thought Bobby Charlton was / is about as good an example as you will find. I know he is getting on a bit now and most kids won't know him, but among Manchester United fans he is still held in esteem. Initially he was a very talented player, and that is how he made his mark. But even then he was known for never having been sent off. Later he was involved in encouraging young players. I particularly remember seeing him on TV at a European final where crowd violence had led to a wall falling down and killing lots of spectators. He had tears in his eyes and he said that football was just a game and not something that should lead to people losing their lives. He has good values and has been a good role model.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

a European final where crowd violence had led to a wall falling down and killing lots of spectators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster
meic

Post by meic »

James Bolivar DiGriz.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A good "Role model" you might use.
I am in the old git club with the other old gits - "PaulB wrote:I agree with Audax67 and Mick F. :) Plus the other who's just got in reohn2.
"a person whose behavior, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, especially by younger people."

Maybe more something you say than mean literally.
And too slow as someones got there first :( (that's me)
Attachments
2016-02-24_104823.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

As others have said, The idea of trying to live up to someone else makes no sense to me. I am who I am and as time passes, I try to improve on who I am but if the end result isn't good enough for someone else, tough luck :P
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That bloke who shouted at Corbyn. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPTZuwwHng

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
georgew

Post by georgew »

Giuseppe Garibaldi...a truly selfless man who united Italy.

I've been trying for over seventy years to emulate him and finally I think I've cracked it.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Isnt that cheating? as he had already united Italy, making your task rather easier.
georgew

Post by georgew »

beardy wrote:Isnt that cheating? as he had already united Italy, making your task rather easier.

This is true but I'd be obliged if it didn't get around. :wink:
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Just off the top of my head...I rather like George Galloway!! I was engaged how MI5 tried to fix him up when he started questioning Iraq and TB and all the other crowd. The whole show was quite frightening and ridiculous. Telegraph reporter goes to Iraq(never been there before) Requests taxi driver to take him to some intelligence building(never been there before too). Goes to 5th floor(why floor 5?). Goes to cabinet(200 cabinets there?) Having opened said cabinet, delves in and finds first file with links to George Galloway?charity/oil scandal!!! What fortuitousness!!!!! Just luck...so we were told :) Later they try to arraign GG in USA with a trumped up charge at a Kangaroo court. The bloke stood his ground when he a lesser man might have run...or have been sent down for 400 years. A comedy classic... but with intent to silence the man. I really am surprised that he hasn't been accidently knocked down by an out-o-control lorry. I guess if he rode a bike he'd be gone by now.

Yes,GG has faults...but he doesn't seem to be initimidated. Not on this occasion. Looking forward to the Killing of TB(the film) I wonder if any future trial could be held in Wembley. Be my first visit :)
georgew

Post by georgew »

Galloway is an unprincipled populist who will attach himself to any cause for his own personal advancement. He is an old-style orator it is true and there are few of these today, but this hardly excuses his behaviour. It is also true that he was fitted up by MI6 (not MI5) as he was proving an inconvenience to the Government of the day but again his only belief is in his own advancement.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Yes,Mr G is not to everyone's taste. I respect your view. I just respect if the fitting up had of been successful he would go down like those others who have upset the willing coalition: life sentence. GG must be one of the most reviled people in GB today,and this by the Labour Party! How strange life has become. The LP have really gone out of their way to traduce him. Then you have the whole machinery of the US and GB: he must be the cleanest bloke in IK politics! For sure,they must have investigated every avenue to prosecute him. His house must be bugged. Strange how those responsible for 2 millions deaths(always multiply any government figure that shows bad light on government by x2)seemed to have walked away,pensions,££,investments careers intact. I would have thought he could have made much more £££ and a better career by oiling-up to the status quo,there is brain power in there(tho misdirected some say) I rather like those who speak truth to power,not many survive of course. By way of an advertisement,if any filth can be got on the man there must be a great reward. TBH I think I'd vote for him as Mayor of London when I look at the other crowd. Apologies.