Role model: who is yours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Role model: who is yours?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Those who have posted about not having role models used similar phrases to the words in a CeeBeebies bedtime story. Can't remember the book title but it's read by that actress in the wheelchair in silent witness, can't remember her name. The book uses phrases like "I like me, there is nobody I'd rather be." It's a really positive storybook for kids but adults could do worse than taking heed.

Not sure I've ever had role models. As a kid there have.been people who have done things I admired but they weren't my role models. One was the TdF stage where one of two main contenders cracked early on a mountain stage losing a lot of time, but he fought back in one of the greatest come backs I've seen. He ended up just seconds behind his nearest contender then went on to win the tour. Can't remember who he was so I guess he wasn't a role model.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

tyreon wrote:Just off the top of my head...I rather like George Galloway!!
That would be this Galloway, then.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
tyreon wrote:Just off the top of my head...I rather like George Galloway!!
That would be this Galloway, then.

And this one:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgZHlV ... fRDg5LFBlQ
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Thankyou Reohn. Yeah,that's the bloke I rather take to. Must be on a Most Wanted poster: £1 million Dead or Alive. Standing in the shadows the spooks would love to do a bit o waterboarding with this fellow! And in those dark shadows our chosen justice system dark glasses on,head turned,Nelson eyed... :twisted:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Galloway has his good and bad moments. The last two YouTube clips show them. He's a very good orator without doubt. I rate him above Tony Blair for that. IMHO where he shoots himself in the foot is with his pet topics. Those subjects where he holds his view as being the only right way. With these he occasionally either appears to go over the line or actually does. The clip where he refused to debate with the Jewish student was one. If I understood the situation right, he was in an American university institution to debate some matter. His opponent from the student body was an American Jew. He decided to use that fact to make an impact statement about the Israelis/Palestine situation. AFAIK that could have been when one of the Israelis crack downs was happening. Whilst I don't agree with him flouncing out with what appeared to be an unrelated statement (unrelated because it was a US student not an Israelis citizen or state representative - if I'm right about that). I do almost agree with him over the Israelis approach towards Palestinians.

Wow! Just seen a squadron of flying pigs! Never thought I'd see that or me defending gorgeous George Galloway. Think I'll lie down now, I must be unwell. :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Role model? I don't think it's the same as an idol. I don't want to be anyone but me. But that doesn't mean I can't have a role model. Mine is my mother. She was the strongest, bravest person I've ever known. I hope I never have to face the adversity she did, but whatever I come across in, life, she set a fine example for me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I make no claims to know enough about Galloway,but I know he's against the Israeli state and the way it's treated the Palestinians.
In the first video,of which I know nothing about other than it was in the UK at Christ Church college Oxford,and that he was refusing to debate with an Israeli as he doesn't recognise the state of Israel,and he clearly states he's thinks he's been misled.
He explains why he walked out of that debate here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLWGW4 ... 2k9DVFQzOw
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

If nothing else he's been good for comedic value. I can't post a link here for obvious reasons but I remember it being suggested that he ought to have asked which parts of a donor's business empire had contributed to a charity he ran. He replied by reading off a shocking list of Express proprietor and then Labour donor Richard Desmond's 'top shelf' magazine titles and asking whether Tony Blair had asked which ones were funding the Labour party.

When a US Senate committee mentioned him in a report he was given the opportunity to speak, though nobody expected a British MP to do so. He chose to and went on to lay into them about the Iraq war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdFFCnYtbk
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Bicycler wrote:I remember it being suggested that he ought to have asked which parts of a donor's business empire had contributed to a charity he ran. He replied by reading off a shocking list of Express proprietor and then Labour donor Richard Desmond's 'top shelf' magazine titles and asking whether Tony Blair had asked which ones were funding the Labour party.

Always regarded "Role Models" as something for kids. OTOH my admiration for someone who can spot a good bit of homework to tackle, do it and then bide his time is pretty intense :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I know full well that any debate on this, or any other, forum, as soon as the Israel/Palestine conflict comes into the equation, will quickly develop into a slanging match. I'll have no part of it. I'll merely state that in my view Galloway is one of the nastiest individuals in politics, and I was mightily relieved when he got trounced in Bradford West last year. The rest of you can think as you please.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Just to clarify: My declared admiration relates solely to the manner in which the question described above was dealt with. :)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If it's political figures you could do well with Tony Benn and Heseltine. I first got into watching question time when Tony Benn was a regular. I found him highly intelligent but his integrity was what struck me most. When the likes of Benn and Heseltine stopped appearing on QT I reckon it started to go downhill to the point it's just a bunch of party mouthpieces with the odd celebrity political, business or political actor type as filler.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Role
OED wrote:role |rəʊl| (also rôle)
noun
an actor's part in a play, film, etc.: Dietrich's role as a wife in war-torn Paris.
• the function assumed or part played by a person or thing in a particular situation: the equipment will play a vital role in the fight against cancer.
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: from obsolete French roule ‘roll’, referring originally to the roll of paper on which the actor's part was written.

Model
OED wrote:model |ˈmɒd(ə)l|
noun
1 a three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original: a model of St Paul's Cathedral | [ as modifier ] : a model aeroplane.
• (in sculpture) a figure or object made in clay or wax, to be reproduced in another more durable material. wax models were used by sculptors in the lost wax method of bronze casting.
2 a thing used as an example to follow or imitate: the project became a model for other schemes.
• a person or thing regarded as an excellent example of a specified quality: as she grew older, she became a model of self-control | [ as modifier ] : he was a model husband and father.
• an actual person or place on which a specified fictional character or location is based: Preston was the model for Coketown in ‘Hard Times’.
• (the Model)the plan for the reorganization of the Parliamentary army, passed by the House of Commons in 1644–5. See also New Model Army.
3 a simplified description, especially a mathematical one, of a system or process, to assist calculations and predictions: a statistical model used for predicting the survival rates of endangered species.
4 a person employed to display clothes by wearing them. Jane was too small to be a model. a well-known fashion model.
• a person employed to pose for an artist, photographer, or sculptor: an artist's model.
5 a particular design or version of a product: the company revealed their latest model at the Motor Show.
• a garment or a copy of a garment by a well-known designer. strikes have dogged the production of the models.
verb (models, modelling, modelled; US models, modeling, modeled) [ with obj. ]
1 fashion or shape (a three-dimensional figure or object) in a malleable material such as clay or wax: use the icing to model a house.
• (in drawing or painting) represent so as to appear three-dimensional: the body of the woman to the right is modelled in softer, riper forms.
2 (model something on/after) use (a system, procedure, etc.) as an example to follow or imitate: the research method will be modelled on previous work.
• (model oneself on) take (someone admired or respected) as an example to follow or imitate: he models himself on rock legend Elvis Presley.
• devise a representation, especially a mathematical one, of (a phenomenon or system): a computer program that can model the behaviour of smoke.
3 display (clothes) by wearing them. the clothes were modelled by celebrities.
• [ no obj. ] work as a model by displaying clothes or posing for an artist or sculptor. he's been modelling for just two weeks.
DERIVATIVES
modeller noun

Therefore, a role model is an actor's part in a play used as something regarded as an excellent example of a specified quality. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
We are ourselves, but some of us will say you wouldn't want to be me.
Common saying is "it's ok for joe blogs" joe being you.

But we don't always appreciate what might the person be going through, might just crucify some of us.

I have no role model as such, liking yourself might be seen as selfish or arrogant.
As said younger people might look up to older people but one day you need to grow up and be a whole you.

How you help others forms how others perceive the real you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Bicycler wrote:It is up to police to decide how to allocate resources. That doesn't mean offences should go unreported. We accept that the police must prioritise, but we don't suggest that any other crimes should go unreported because there might be something more serious on the to do list that day! At the very least increased reporting of crimes increases the accuracy of statistics.

Agreed about reporting, but if you think that the police don't respond to dog-whistle politicians who are keen to protect only their own supporters and paymasters, I think you're mistaken. Just look at the current government funding for the police scandal.