Car Insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mountainman531

Car Insurance

Post by mountainman531 »

I don't know where else to put this on the Forum.
A few months ago, probably on cycle clips, there was a link to a firm offering cheaper car insurance to cyclists. I can't remember the name of the firm but I wondered if anyone had got a quote or taken out the insurance?
Paulatic

Re: Car Insurance

Post by Paulatic »

Might have been
carinsurance4cyclists.com
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

mountainman531 wrote:...A few months ago, probably on cycle clips,...

Back issues: http://www.ctc.org.uk/publications?fiel ... y_to_one=1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

Thanks for jogging my memory Paul and Gaz, it was indeed carinsurance4cyclists.
I have just saved £45 against the quote from my present insurers with better terms and conditions, result!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sounds good, wonder if I should give them a try my renewal is in A few weeks time. The last time I looked around I spent hours and could only achieve a saving of a couple of pounds so stuck with the COOP
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

Recently renewed insurance on one of our cars. Was through the AA but now through the Caravan Club. Saved nearly £200 and I am on the same terms with the same insurer!

At the same time I moved my breakdown cover from the AA to Green Flag - again through the Caravan Club. Nearly another £100 saved.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I saved nearly £200, they'd be (almost nearly) paying me! :lol:
2011 Fiat500 fully comp (+named driver) cost me smack on £200 for the last renewal April 2015.
Mick F. Cornwall
jezer

Post by jezer »

I used to shop around each year through one of the comparison sites. For the last three years or so I've just accepted the automatic renewal, foolish I know. Under £300 for a Mercedes C Class, without commuting cover as I'm retired. I also confess I've never looked at changing energy suppliers or other utilities.
Power to the pedals
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

It is wise to check out things like Insurance, gas and electricity suppliers. As for the internet, it is wise to check out exactly what you are getting before jumping. If you go to www.cable.co.uk/guides you will find out what the ISP's are really offering, or not as the case may be. It is better to make an informed decision rather than listen to sales talk and maybe pressure!
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

I picked up a leaflet last September at the NEC Cycling show from carinsurance4cyclists.com and carefully stored it away - ready for when my renewal came up.

I called them this morning after punching my details into their online system which only collects enough information for them to call you back during office hours rather than provide an online quote. When I got through to one of their call handlers, I was asked for my post code and then to my total amazement, was told "Sorry, we don't cover that area". What is going on here?

Seems to me that it is not just about cyclists being a better risk than non-cyclists as they describe in their advertising, I can only assume that their business model exclude people who live outside of low risk areas.

I have lived in Greater Manchester for all of my life and have NEVER come across any insurer for any type of insurance who has refused my business based on my suburban post code. I would love to know what areas they DO cover - published testimonials are from folk in Wiltshire and Winchester - am I just too far north or too close, 10 miles, from the centre of Manchester and the headquarters of British Cycling?
irc

Post by irc »

Just renewed with Direct Line. Last year £190. This year £207. For a Skoda Superb 1.4. Fully comp. Me + spouse. Close enough I'm not going to waste my time price checking.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Some weird scenarios happen with car insurance.... Many years ago we sold a Mondeo and replaced it with a Ka, and Tesco car insurance wouldn't cover the Ka, which at the time was one of the best selling cars in uk, (both in our 40's, clean record) so Tesco refunded pro-rata the remaining premium.
Recently we had our Daughter on Wife's car policy, and had to have a black box (no problem, and interesting to view results on pc), after 3 years it was cheaper without a black box with the same company, than with the black box. I can only assume they'd had claims of drivers with black boxes.
I had a classic car insurance (limited mileage) and they would only give the deal if I was using another vehicle (are you ahead of me yet on this story?), at the time my only other vehicles were bikes, so where they asked for the registration number I gave a frame number, and mileage roughly 7k a year - they asked the question of the 'strange registration number', and surprisingly accepted the use of the bike.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have a problem shopping around as most companies will not quote on line and then refuse cover when I phone. Currently car I use Rias and motorhome Shield. Once over a certain age nobody will quote for new business it seems. Even those who advertise no age limits are not telling the truth.