36hole rims, what happened?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wfbroddy

Re: 36hole rims, what happened?

Post by wfbroddy »

Bigdummysteve wrote:
wfbroddy wrote:Yes I used them to build up a set of wheels on a Alfine8 hub for my..... ECR :o)

They built up well have been strong so far, they are a touch heavier than most other rims but that isn't an issue for me and have been bullet proof, used the ECR off and on road, an since they are a bit narrower than the Rabbit Hole rims a stock ECR come with, I think they give a better profile to 29+ tyres both Knards and Chronicles

Thanks for the reply, I'm building up an ECR and will be running chronicles, out of interest have you run smaller tyres on the ECR? I know the bb height is quiet low, it was one if the plus points for me. I heard all sorts of dire warnings I suspect from people who have never ridden this frame, the main alternative tyre for me would be a big apple at 2.3" for road use. I suspect a big apple would make a nice road tyre on these rims?

I haven't run smaller tyres on the ECR but have used Big Apples on the Kris Holm rims an they made a good combination though tyre pressure made a huge difference to how they rode, at a guess I'd say the Big Apples would lower the BB by about 10mm not an issue if only used on the road
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote:Pure speculation,but 32h rims could be directly linked to the boom years ago in MTB sales until quite recently being 25in(559),32 spoked 26in wheels with big MTB tyres build into a strong wheel,so before discs were also popular,32s became the norm and it caught on.
I would have though Fat bike wheels are stressed even less than MTB wheels so 32s would also be the norm.
Cyclo touring is niche in world sales so 36,40s became less popular especially in 700c.
BTW try finding 700c 48s for your tandem,I know of two readily available makes that's all,and as Brucey says 40s are becoming the same. :?

EDIT:- 36 hole Rohloff specific rim,but they're heavy @ 845g:- http://tandems.co.uk/m12b0s95p642/RYDE- ... ng-36-hole

I have just acquired a pair of 32 hole 26" disc wheels, deore hubs, my tandem has disc mounts on it. Should i try the front wheel on the tandem? Total body weight is in the order of 20 stone for 2 of us. I am old enough to remember when 32 front/40 rear was the fashion on most bikes. Not so sure about using a 32 on the back though.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:
I have just acquired a pair of 32 hole 26" disc wheels, deore hubs, my tandem has disc mounts on it. Should i try the front wheel on the tandem? Total body weight is in the order of 20 stone for 2 of us. I am old enough to remember when 32 front/40 rear was the fashion on most bikes. Not so sure about using a 32 on the back though.

Plenty people use 700cx36's on tandems so I would think 20stone is very doable on 559x32's and more so with big 1.5 or 1.75inch supple tyres.If you're planning to run 25/28mm HP tyres ridden hard n fast, it may be a different matter though.
Thorn still sell 32 hole Rohloff tandems IIRC.
Tandem weight distribution is more like 50/50 or even 55f/45r if the captain is substantially heavier than the stoker,which is usually the case.
I think if the spokes are quality and the rims aren't lightweight there'd be no problem,if you think about it there's many a 15+ stone solo rider+ kit touring on similar wheels.
I think irc of this parish is no lightweight and tours extensively fully loaded on 700cx36s on 40mm tyres
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it rather depends how the wheels are built and what rims are used. Your all-up weight isn't too bad so most wheels will work for a while but IMHO only very well built 32s using strong rims will survive tandem use in the long run, even if they are 26" wheels.

Being disc wheels 1/2 (or perhaps 1/4) of the spokes in each wheel will see the lions share of the load when braking, and will most likely be in the regime where they will sustain fatigue damage during heavy braking unless the build is spot on.

BTW, quite a lot of disc wheels are built using relatively lightweight and basically flimsy rims, in an attempt to disguise the extra weight that disc brakes bring to most bikes. If your rims are like that I would not expect such wheels to last very long on a tandem before the rims start to crack up around the spoke holes; such rims often do that on solos anyway.

Also, I'd be concerned about lightweight rims being able to take the pressure loads if you run fattish tyres at tandem pressures; because there is no real thickness where the braking surface ought to be, quite a few disc-specific rims are only about as strong vs tyre pressure forces as a knackered rim brake rim would be.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

pwa wrote:I didn't realise Rohloff hubs came in a 36 hole form. They used to be available only in 32 hole. SJS don't seem to offer 36h, only 32h.

Rose Bikes don't seem to have a problem finding 36H Rohloffs :D
temp.jpg

We have a 32H Rohloff on our Santos tandem running 26" wheels, supplied by Santos with Rigida Sputnik rims with somewhere between 5,000 - 6,000 miles (so low mileage for sure). Between us we weigh in about 24 stone / 153Kg plus a touring load of somewhere around 25Kg. So far so good but only time will tell.

I'm about to build up Mrs B4t's solo tourer with a Rohloff and I was debating 32H or 36H, so the comments here have been thought provoking in that I was going for another 32H Speedhub, but maybe I should go 36H and put this on the tandem and use the 32H for the tourer? Hmmm :?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bikes4two wrote: ...I'm about to build up Mrs B4t's solo tourer with a Rohloff and I was debating 32H or 36H, so the comments here have been thought provoking in that I was going for another 32H Speedhub, but maybe I should go 36H and put this on the tandem and use the 32H for the tourer? Hmmm :?

well I'd frame the query differently; e.g. 'why wouldn't you do that?'.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Less choice in rims? :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bigdummysteve wrote:Less choice in rims? :wink:

:lol: