Help needed re: pannier clip

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dave_smith99

Help needed re: pannier clip

Post by dave_smith99 »

I have a set of Karrimor panniers and one of the clips have broken. It looks like this (see pic)

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement that will fit?

pete75

Re: Help needed re: pannier clip

Post by pete75 »

Scroll down on here http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.u ... epairs.htm to Karrimor Spares. They say "We also sell pannier hooks and disc locks."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Please report back on how you get on dave.

I have two sets of karrimor paniers that use those clips.

One rear and a very nice small pair that are some sort of fabric cordura or whatever they call it.

They are good panniers though i would never trust them on a big tour - the clips don't look tough enough. So i use the big rear ones for shopping and the front as rears for day rides.

Every time i see things like this i lament the passing of karrimor.
Sweep

Post by 10030158 »

Probably best to replace the whole rail. You can buy Ortlieb QR fittings from SJS or Edinburgh Co-operative. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... le-inserts
boblo

Post by boblo »

I wouldn't worry about the clip failing mid tour any more than anything else. I have those panniers and have completed a couple of 5k mile tours with no issues. They're yonks old and still going strong. I prefer them to my Ortlieb's as; they're a bit bigger at 48L and have outside pockets for stuff. They weigh a bit less than an Ortlieb as well.
dave_smith99

Post by dave_smith99 »

NickWi

Post by NickWi »

I've still got a few of these from the days when I used to work for the UK distributors of the manufacturers of the hooks. The hooks have long since been discontinued but I'm sure I've got half a dozen or so in the samples drawer somewhere.

Drop me a PM and I'll see what I can find.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I ve never had any trouble with the hooks inspite of carrying some very heavy shopping loads. The only trouble I have had is the metal studs failing and I have therefore used some nut and bolts. Setting these panniers up has to be done carefully to distribute the load also onto the disc?

I wish some one else would make panniers using the same attachment system - hook & disc - is a real clever idea and the best by far ever
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

boblo wrote:I wouldn't worry about the clip failing mid tour any more than anything else. I have those panniers and have completed a couple of 5k mile tours with no issues. .

I agree that they are really nice panniers (although not totally waterproof) but with regard to the clip, I seem to remember (I don't live with them) that some sort of self tapping screw into plastic is part of the set-up - isn;t that a weakness? It is shown in your pic.

I do sometimes wonder if the clip that swivels over to lock them might wear/break (mine aren't heavily used) but it is a really nice system. When they are on, you really know that they are on, especially with that slightly heath robinson disc-loc system down below. Luckily I have managed to position my duscs so that they work whether the small or big panniers are put on the back.
Sweep
hamster

Post by hamster »

[quote="Sweep"ith regard to the clip, I seem to remember (I don't live with them) that some sort of self tapping screw into plastic is part of the set-up - isn;t that a weakness? It is shown in your pic.[/quote]

The clip actually sits in a channel in the back which takes the weight - the screw only stops the clip from popping out of the channel. As such it never has any weight on it.
malvern rider

Post by malvern rider »

I’ve just inherited four of these Kalahari panniers but the disc/clips are missing. I tried a velcro strap with plastic buckle and it’s ok but would like to source some of the originals if anyone has/knows of some this late in the day!

Otherwise I suppose something similar could be cobbled together or 3D printed? I have no pics/instructions of the objects tho...
robgul

Post by robgul »

malvern rider wrote:I’ve just inherited four of these Kalahari panniers but the disc/clips are missing. I tried a velcro strap with plastic buckle and it’s ok but would like to source some of the originals if anyone has/knows of some this late in the day!

Otherwise I suppose something similar could be cobbled together or 3D printed? I have no pics/instructions of the objects tho...

I sold my Karrimor panniers a few months ago but I think I may have a few spare clips around - I'll have a look later today if I get time and get back to you - IIRC I have both the rail hooks and rack-leg discs.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robgul

Post by robgul »

robgul wrote:
malvern rider wrote:I’ve just inherited four of these Kalahari panniers but the disc/clips are missing. I tried a velcro strap with plastic buckle and it’s ok but would like to source some of the originals if anyone has/knows of some this late in the day!

I sold my Karrimor panniers a few months ago but I think I may have a few spare clips around - I'll have a look later today if I get time and get back to you - IIRC I have both the rail hooks and rack-leg discs.

Rob

Really sorry - must have been having a senior moment - can't find the clips :-(
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd put a notice on "wanted" on here.
Or search ebay (and you can set up alerts for when stuff comes up).

Now and again panniers from that series come up for sale on here so you could buy another set for the clips.
Sweep