Where have all the end to enders gone?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Lilyf

Re: Where have all the end to enders gone?

Post by Lilyf »

Hubby and I are in the process of planning our unsupported LEJOG for later this year.
I've been following this forum with interest for over 12 months and noting MickF's routes in the South West.
We've also got a copy of the CTC B&B route but hope to do our own thing for most of the time.

< by PM please : Graham >
Just wondered (if you are allowed to say nnc283) where your hostel is and what facilities you have - although, I must admit, I'd probably prefer a B&B.

Thanks.
PH

Post by PH »

As a touring cyclist I could just as easily ask where all the hostels have gone (Though I know the answer)
I used to do a fair bit of hostel touring, then a decade ago it started getting hard to string any three at reasonable mileage together. So now I usually camp.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This summer I am doing JOGLE.
My wife will be the support waggon (not literately, actually the vehicle she is driving ), at her insistence.
She has had too many knocks on the door from the Police, the RAF and a few others with news of my latest "epic" injuries.
The route has been decided on as a result of the sage advice on this site.
And we have a place in Cornwall, near Redruth, where I can recover (Caravan @ Tolgus Mount) ... and my wifes family can visit for chat, barbecues and a few ales, since their all "Cornish born and bred" ... apart from her ... miners daughter, Rotherham!!!
Modern families....
We will stay at B&B, Hostels and in our tent as required.
The plan is I will set off at 0700hrs each day and stop for the day at 1500hrs.
She will stir about 1000hrs and catch me up..
JOGLE or LEJOG should be a fun experience, not a trial by combat!
It will take as long as it takes and we will have an adventure ... together.
Happy days.
:D
Davie & Jules
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sounds like a good plan.
One of the best arrangements I came across was the guy had cycled LEJOG. Wife drove to JOG. Husband took car home and she was walking a JOGLE back.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

landsurfer wrote:
She has had too many knocks on the door from the RAF and a few others with news of my latest "epic" injuries.

That requires an explantion :D were you shot down :lol:
Rich
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:The "want it on a plate" brigade amaze me - some of the requests for help are pathetic ... not just with routes (the comments about maps etc are appropriate) ... but we also see posts like "recommend me a bicycle bell" or "I'm going on a 50 mile tour, what should I take?" God help us.

Is this sarcasm? I must have wasted more money on useless or short-lived bike bells than any other part. :-( Tips of what works and doesn't are very welcome.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

nnc283 wrote:We run a hostel in the Highlands on Route 7, been here four years now and in that time we've noticed a gradual falling off in trade from touring cyclists generally but E2E riders in particular. It doesn't affect us financially but I would like to understand what is going on - we're lifelong cyclists ourselves, and E2E veterans you might say.

Which is your hostel?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

landsurfer wrote:This summer I am doing JOGLE.
My wife will be the support waggon (not literately, actually the vehicle she is driving ), at her insistence.
She has had too many knocks on the door from the Police, the RAF and a few others with news of my latest "epic" injuries.
The route has been decided on as a result of the sage advice on this site.
And we have a place in Cornwall, near Redruth, where I can recover (Caravan @ Tolgus Mount) ...Happy days.
:D
Davie & Jules

Tolgus mount isn't that near to Tumbly Down Farm where they have a mining museum? Great little place stayed there in the B&B very welcoming and a good breakfast. There's a shed full of Meccano and model railway stuff too. I was a kid all over again :oops:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
don1

Post by don1 »

I've been cycling just a few years; after a none cycling injury recently I've been off the bike a while and the weight has piled on.
I need something to help me get my mojo back so I've committed to myself to do LEJOG next year.
It'll probably be via b&bs, but I'm really enjoying the planning a dreaming phase.
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

I've seen something about an 'official Lejog / Jogle book' that is open to those attempting to sign in at the start and another at the finish for those completing - now I'm not overly fussed but I guess it would rude to pass up the opportunity to log my upcoming attempt at least! Does such a logbook actually still exist?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robgul wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I thought it should be known "officially" how many people are undertaking (or completing) the ride by the numbers applying for the CTC Lejog pack (gving you a few routes, record to obtain the award/certificate, etc. ...

I would question the measures suggested as a) the CTC stuff is out-of-date and hidden away ...

I think out of date information is actually quite a hindrance as, unless provided with string "this is all out-of-date", people will use the information, take the advice and set-off then discovering how wrong it was and their travels become a lot harder.

I would have thought JOGLE/LEJOG would have been something the CTC should have been providing help with.

Ian
robgul

Post by robgul »

BottomGear wrote:I've seen something about an 'official Lejog / Jogle book' that is open to those attempting to sign in at the start and another at the finish for those completing - now I'm not overly fussed but I guess it would rude to pass up the opportunity to log my upcoming attempt at least! Does such a logbook actually still exist?

Correct : if you go to either the Land's End Hotel or The Seaview Hotel at JOG they have a book that you put your details in and also issue you with a sheet to get stamped/marked whatever on your ride - you then check in at the other end with the opposing book.

That's the theory ... reality is that it's pretty woolly and getting the "verification" at overnight stops is vague - bottom line is that it's pretty much all trust - hence no definitive records.

At Land's End the hotel does/did run a sort of "end to end club" where they charged you to join and issued a ride certificate ... as I said above it was all a bit woolly (and applied to any E2E whether on a bike, tractor or pogo stick!) - whether it's still alive I don't know. This URL http://www.endtoenders.com/ has expired and this http://www.landsend-johnogroats-assoc.com/ looks like it might be out of date.

Rob
- webmaster at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

NOTE: The E2E and recording etc is something that has been submitted by a number of people in the MY ideas responses at www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk .. and details of routes etc will probably be in the resources available in due course.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Ron

Post by Ron »

Regarding "official" records of the trip, CTC used to issue a certificate if you provided proof of having completed the journey.
I submitted my tour diary which listed daily mileages, the main places I'd passed through, along with over night accommodation receipts, this was deemed sufficient proof of completion. That was some 19 years ago, possibly things have changed.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Ron wrote:Regarding "official" records of the trip, CTC used to issue a certificate if you provided proof of having completed the journey.
I submitted my tour diary which listed daily mileages, the main places I'd passed through, along with over night accommodation receipts, this was deemed sufficient proof of completion. That was some 19 years ago, possibly things have changed.

Possibly people just aren't that bothered any more given the numerous other methods of recording a ride. Strava, social media, blogs, websites, Instagram...
Having a name in a book that will only ever be looked at by other people also adding their name to it is possibly a bit anachronistic these days.

Although it would be interesting to see the sheer variety of routes used with some sort of mapping overlay. If you could record all the LEJOG / JOGLE rides in a one year period and stick it on a Strava heatmap it would be fascinating and possibly very useful to find the "hotspots" if you were looking to set up a hostelry business!
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

rareposter wrote:Although it would be interesting to see the sheer variety of routes used with some sort of mapping overlay. If you could record all the LEJOG / JOGLE rides in a one year period and stick it on a Strava heatmap it would be fascinating and possibly very useful to find the "hotspots" if you were looking to set up a hostelry business!

I reckon Warrington or that sort of area would be a hot spot as the options of crossing the Mersey are limited that far west.
Rich