Difficulty remove Chain link

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Difficulty remove Chain link

Post by Brucey »

properly engineered DRLs with tungsten bulbs (eg Volvo ones, back in the day) use special bulbs that are designed for lower output and longer life. It might be that there is a 'special bulb' that you can use if the ones you use at present don't last.

In theory an LED drop in bulb ought to last a lot longer than a tungsten bulb but if the housing etc allows an LED bulb to run unusually hot, its life will be drastically shortened.

I like a vacuum cleaner trick; another way is to use a blob of blu-tac on the end of a stick.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I believe the first page of any problem solving should read, "go and have a cuppa". It's worked for me no end of times.
Well done Mick brilliant solution and a shining example. [emoji1]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We have a Fiat500 and they have Daylight Running Lights, and the bulbs don't seem to last. I've changed two of them in the last year.
They are an absolute bugger to change, and the other day whilst doing one, I dropped the bulb INSIDE the light fitting. The only thing to do was to remove the whole front bumper to get at it.

If I'd had some sort of flexi claw, I could have perhaps gripped it and pulled it out, but I didn't want to drive the car to go and get one with the bulb jiggling about loose inside the fitting.

I was resigned to taking the bumper off or a strip-down job, so went indoors for a cuppa to get mentally prepared.

The idea that hit me was to use a thin vacuum cleaner hose and suck the thing out. :lol:
Worked a treat. :D

http://www.fiatforum.com/500/430545-drl ... -bowl.html[/quote]

Brilliant idea, I'm changing my 16 year old car this year and expect to have difficulty in changing headlight bulbs. The law here in France still requires you to carry a full set of bulbs in the car. Another example of the law not being updated to match modern cars, I guess I could always carry a vacuum cleaner in the car and knock on someones door to plug it in :lol:
ian s

Post by ian s »

The first time I needed to remove one of these things I contemplated pliers, but soon abandoned that, then thought that the chain wheel would form a good jig for holding the whole lot, then worked it out from there. I have never used any other method. When CJ wrote a piece in Cycle Touring about releasing these things, but didn't mention "my" method I emailed him the idea, whereupon he wrote the short article that you have seen. I didn't realise my method was novel until this time.

As stated earlier, I am very pleased others have found the method useful; certainly the fact that no tools are required adds to its attractiveness.

Ian
531colin

Post by 531colin »

It always struck me as damned silly that you "need" a tool to deal with a "magic link"....surely the magic link should remove the need to carry a chain rivet tool, what is the point of throwing out the rivet tool if you then have to carry a pair of pliers?
The first magic links I came across were Wipperman Connex ones - no tools needed - I was dismayed when I found how tricky some links are....but I refuse to carry pliers, on principle!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

531colin wrote:It always struck me as damned silly that you "need" a tool to deal with a "magic link"....surely the magic link should remove the need to carry a chain rivet tool, what is the point of throwing out the rivet tool if you then have to carry a pair of pliers?
The first magic links I came across were Wipperman Connex ones - no tools needed - I was dismayed when I found how tricky some links are....but I refuse to carry pliers, on principle!

Shouldn't really need to unhitch a quick link when out on a ride. :?
I have fitted a couple on other peoples bikes when they have snapped their chains.
I carry a "Leatherman" multi tool that includes a pair of pointed nose pliers but that is for other jobs such as removing thorns etc. Mind you I have carried that from before quick links came on the market.
Obviously need a chain splitter to facilitate the fitting of an emergency quick link.
But you are right about some links being tricky. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

cycleruk wrote:
531colin wrote:It always struck me as damned silly that you "need" a tool to deal with a "magic link"....surely the magic link should remove the need to carry a chain rivet tool, what is the point of throwing out the rivet tool if you then have to carry a pair of pliers?

Shouldn't really need to unhitch a quick link when out on a ride. :?
I have fitted a couple on other peoples bikes when they have snapped their chains.
I carry a "Leatherman" multi tool that includes a pair of pointed nose pliers but that is for other jobs such as removing thorns etc. Mind you I have carried that from before quick links came on the market.
Obviously need a chain splitter to facilitate the fitting of an emergency quick link.
But you are right about some links being tricky. :roll:

Same here: I'm puzzled as to why you'd ever need to take a quick link off while out on a ride - unless you're so obsessed with chain-cleaning that you want to take your chain off and clean it by dunking it in a glass of Coke while you're at the lunch stop. :D
ian s

Post by ian s »

Likewise, I can't think of why one might need to remove a quicklink beside the road, which is why I certainly wouldn't want to bother carrying around a tool to do so. Especially since I am safe in the knowledge that in the extremely unlikely event I need to do so I would not any special tool anyway.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I've used the magic links. I fiddle with them for ages, then suddenly they work, and I'm no wiser about why they have just worked, so the next time, I'm fiddling all over again.

Eventually Mr Flinders got fed up with his and bought a tool for doing it, so I'm now much more willing to take the chain off to clean it, which is much faster than trying to do it in situ with those messy chain bath things (or a rag and some lubricant which I tended to use as the least worst option before).

I like the chainwheel idea a lot, though, it's so simple it's brilliant. I may try it just for fun next time.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I like the chainwheel idea a lot, though, it's so simple it's brilliant. I may try it just for fun next time.

I just cant get the knack of the chainwheel method, I did give it a go but I havent persisted with it as I can normally undo SRAM links in half a second, by just pushing inwards on the plates then a small push with the chain and they are apart.
Like most things we just stick with, and get better at, the method we find easiest at first.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

beardy wrote:

I just cant get the knack of the chainwheel method, I did give it a go but I havent persisted with it as I can normally undo SRAM links in half a second, by just pushing inwards on the plates then a small push with the chain and they are apart.
Like most things we just stick with, and get better at, the method we find easiest at first.

there are two distinctly different styles of SRAM link; one is usually (but not always) amenable to easy disassembly, and the other isn't.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hondated

Post by hondated »

pete75 wrote:12 quid for some masterlink pliers - what an extravagance. Just get some snipe nosed pliers from the pound shop and grind a curved indent on the inside of the tips.

Great idea which I hadn't thought of. Next stop Poundshop.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:so went indoors for a cuppa to

A Cuppa is the most important tool. Those 5 minutes could not be better used, letting the brain kick into action.

The break is an essential part of problem solving. One of the things I intend to tell the Greenpower team I'm starting to work with...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks for all replies. After posting I found out I don't need to remove my chain to clean it well enough for me, but I will remember all said in case I need to remove the chain sometime. Thanks