The Petition - DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
gaz

Re: The Petition - DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:... Reading reports linked on this name change subject awakened me What do they do in Scotland? Well the only initiative I've been aware of is Belles on Bikes. ...

You missed Play on Pedals and support for the Nice Way Code, there may be others.

I doubt that knowledge of either initiative would have changed your decision not to renew.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:...
As with all clubs we join and keep renewing annually because we without thinking believe the club is the same as the day you joined and as your own needs are the same.....

A bit off-topic, but these days whenever I subscribe to anything (clubs, etc.) by preference I pay a one term subscription with no auto renew (e.g. by check of one-off credit card payment). If they require an auto renewing subscription, I put a diary reminder for (generally) 1 month before renewal so I have plenty of time to reconsider. Organisations and companies love the ongoing auto renew as for many if they notice the 1st thing will be money gone and automatically on another year.

It has become too easy for companies and organisations to take your money on one basis and moving the goal posts part way through and then just auto renewing for something you would never have subscribed to originally.

I had a 12 month contract end recently and told then company I did not want to renew (as they had changed their offering) and they started the "it has become a 30 day notice rolling contract so you have to give us 30 days or you could change to a ...". They I escalated and explained a 12 month contract is for 12 months and they have no right to turn it into a 30 day notice rolling contract and the more senior person said they had no idea where the previous person got the 30 day thing from and it was just ended at the end of the 12 months (on 2 days notice). some companies/organisations do try and stop people leaving.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gaz wrote:
Paulatic wrote:... Reading reports linked on this name change subject awakened me What do they do in Scotland? Well the only initiative I've been aware of is Belles on Bikes. ...

You missed Play on Pedals and support for the Nice Way Code, there may be others.

I doubt that knowledge of either initiative would have changed your decision not to renew.

You are right I had forgotten about those.
Play on Pedals another city orientated day out for children to be introduced to the fun of bicycles. A worthy cause but who is benefitting from it? The parents get a few hours to themselves maybe?
The Nice Way Code it made my blood boil and triggered me in correspondence with my MSP. If I recall correctly CTC backed it.
Yes you are right neither will change my mind. [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...can I/we still sign 'The Petition' ...and where do we find it? :)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Velocio wrote:...can I/we still sign 'The Petition' ...and where do we find it? :)

Go to the start of this thread I am still collecting
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic