CTC Begging Letter - March 2016

old_windbag

Re: CTC Begging Letter - March 2016

Post by old_windbag »

Out of interest for anyone wanting to know the ins and outs of their charities, the .gov site below is pretty good and has pretty well everything( surprising for .gov )

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/showcharity/registerofcharities/RegisterHomePage.aspx

I looked at CTC and it's funny in amongst all the various funds and schemes they have a "sinking premises fund"..... apparently money put aside for head office sinking. :shock: .

Another charity I occasionally give to seem to have tiny staff costs and no one above £60k, and with a patron like Brian "poodle hair" May then thats what I'd expect, keep up the good work. :)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Glad to see that the vigilant types have flagged this up, keeps my word count down!
But I can see one potential blooper?
As they request that one bequeathes monies to "Cycle Touring Club (CTC), what a mess they will have created for the future.
Unless the wording over the name includes "And heirs & successors of said club" then they may well get nowt!
I say this because the powers that know better than I have wiped that name out from April henceforth, good one!
TTFN MM
honesty

Post by honesty »

merseymouth wrote:Hi There, Glad to see that the vigilant types have flagged this up, keeps my word count down!
As they request that one bequeathes monies to "Cycle Touring Club (CTC), what a mess they will have created for the future.
Unless the wording over the name includes "And heirs & successors of said club" then they may well get nowt!
I say this because the powers that know better than I have wiped that name out from April henceforth, good one!
TTFN MM

No they haven't. Sorry that's just rampant misinformation. They have created a new trading name, and will be promoting that to the main trading name. This has not changed the company name.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Honesty<, So all they have done, according to your reading of it , is confuse the member at large!
Too clever a move for us sad old illiterates, a move created by MBA types?
I will terminate my membership before November, with return of remaining 2 years of subscription, professional charity route sounds too close to TAX EVASION for my liking!
MM
robgul

Post by robgul »

honesty wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi There, Glad to see that the vigilant types have flagged this up, keeps my word count down!
TTFN MM

No they haven't. Sorry that's just rampant misinformation. They have created a new trading name, and will be promoting that to the main trading name. This has not changed the company name.

That's correct in that there is still the CTC name but the point about an "old name" isn't helpful for future fund-raising/begging. Which name(s) will be used in the future and is going to hit the spot with potential donors? Cyclists' Touring Club, CTC the cycling charity, Cycling UK .....

Some of the big charities that have made radical name changes have suffered, in particular with the legacy stuff .... going through a period of confusion and having to invest very heavily in brand awareness/education ... which must have diverted funds.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Slightly off topic and rather a long post but Old Windbag makes some very good points.

All charities need to attract funding but it's been apparent to me for a long time that this has become the main raison d'être of many of the larger charities. Success is measured not by how effective at campaigning they are but rather by how much money they attract. The good causes are important only insofar as they play well with the emotions of potential donors.

When CEO's talk about growing the charity they are referring to increasing turnover. This is not necessarily a bad thing. There ought to be economies of scale which result in a greater percentage going to good causes. In reality, as Old Windbag points out, charities are increasingly competing for the same finite resource. It would indeed be better if there were fewer and larger charities but, take that argument to its logical conclusion, and we might as well turn the clock back to the time when the job was being better done by government. A truly not for profit organisation.

How does all this relate to the CTC?...........Well in fairness it's probably too early to tell. Cycling UK is a work in progress and its aims and aspirations are laudable. However I'm not optimistic that they will be any more successful than say Sustrans or any other quango type charity, in delivering them. I doubt that the funding that Cycling UK attract will be new money. It will be at the expense of existing cycling charities. Given the overlap of running costs, the overall funding for campaigning may well decrease as a result. It seems to me that one less Cycling charity may be better than one more and that CTC had more authority when its only paymasters were its members. Therein lies the irony in all this, CTC was always a campaigning organisation and with a proud record in this respect. There may well have been a misconception by some, due to its association with cycle touring, that it wasn't inclusive enough, but maybe just a change of name was all that was needed.

If I sound a little cynical about charities, it's probably because I am. I still believe it's possible to make a difference by choosing very carefully before you give your cash. Better still give your time rather than your money. An ethic that many who presently take money out of the charity sector would do well to follow.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I think the bigger problem for us as cyclists is how many cyclists are quite happy to take advantage of the "get my friends to sponsor my foreign cycling holiday in the name of charity fundraising" opportunities. They are big business too for the firms that organise them.
Paulatic

CTC Begging Letter - March 2016

Post by Paulatic »

TonyR wrote:I think the bigger problem for us as cyclists is how many cyclists are quite happy to take advantage of the "get my friends to sponsor my foreign cycling holiday in the name of charity fundraising" opportunities. They are big business too for the firms that organise them.

A pet hate of mine. Whenever I explain to people why I'm not giving them anything they seem to take the point.
When I was audaxing I grew so tired of people,when they discovered how far you'd cycled, would say "are you doing it for charity? "
NO I'm doing it for myself was always my reply.
EDIT to add,
As some end to Enders will know I'm not totally heartless. If I come across them on the route,and especially if I've been following their progress, I've usually some home baking to give them to help them along. [emoji513]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
millimole

Post by millimole »

TonyR wrote:I think the bigger problem for us as cyclists is how many cyclists are quite happy to take advantage of the "get my friends to sponsor my foreign cycling holiday in the name of charity fundraising" opportunities. They are big business too for the firms that organise them.

At the risk of going off-topic here : my son & D-I-L have just returned from a 'charity cycle ride through Vietnam & Cambodia'. Being well aware of the pitfall you demonstrate, they paid for their 'holiday' themselves and raised money on the back of it, which has all gone to their chosen cause. In their group everyone else was using donations to fund the trip, which I think is shameful. (Sorry)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

It makes enormous sense to me to trade on the heritage and membership values that makes the CTC unique in the sector. There is delicious irony that the same aspects are at the same time being withdrawn in this anodyn makeover we are witnessing.
Si

Post by Si »

I didn't get one.

Perhaps I'm not on their list of people who will be bumped off in the first wave?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

So, despite the demand we cannot get 'winged wheel" badges r transfers, yet they suddenly appear when it comes to fund raising

I think that for me this is a final straw - it is time to leave
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One aspect that has struck me reading the responses above is, I intend to live for quite a few more years. So anything I put in my will now will (hopefully) not be used for many many years.

Given how the CTC has changed over the last few years and how it currently seems on another "move of focus" who knows what it will be up to by the time my will is actually used. So I might actually end-up supporting things I actually don't agree with. But it's an academic question for me as they are not asking for my money anyway.

But the question applies to any money you leave to any organisation. I am a beneficiary in other wills and whilst they have a formal will and have also left verbal instructions for smaller aspects. Basically using trust that we will carry out their wishes, some of which are dependent on their situation when the will is used.

I don't even have a will at the moment. I am in the process of getting one together - getting my thoughts together after discovered what one of my "default" beneficiaries would end-up doing with any inheritance from me (something I did not feel something I would have wanted to spend my money on)!! I had the impression that changing a will cost a bit so not the sort of thing you keep chapping and changing around.

Ian
jezer

Post by jezer »

I received the begging letter today. I have not read it and it will go into the recycling bin. Perhaps I'm over suspicious, but are we sure it's not a scam? I was approached by a chugger on the Bath to Bristol cycle path a few years ago and he persuaded me to donate £10 a month to Sustrans. It was the first day of the TdF, and I should have been suspicious when he seemed to know nothing about it. After a couple of years I cancelled my donations, and for ages I was bombarded by calls, some quite aggressive, trying to get me to restart them. We get professional chuggers outside supermarkets, professing to represent charities, and whilst I'm happy to put money in a collection tin, I will in no circumstances sign a direct debit.
Power to the pedals
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Some interesting points raised since I went offline.

Norman H wrote: and we might as well turn the clock back to the time when the job was being better done by government. A truly not for profit organisation.

I was on a Sustrans ride last year helping out, I said to the ride leader ( whilst talking about funding of the ride ) you won't like what I'm about to say but I think Sustrans shouldn't be a charity but part of a government department covering all aspects of "green" human powered transport and its infrastructure. From me, a government decrier, quite unusual but I stated that I would not have it run by typical government civil servants, rather those who know what is needed ( we could all name a few candidates ). I feel thats where government dept's fail, when appointed by those ignorant to what they are overseeing and have little foresight. As in my previous post I feel the fighting for funds by many charities can defeat the common cause of them in unity. It's a shame we view so many aspects of life in his way. A well run knowledgeable, informed dept would perform all the necessary tasks with a guaranteed budget( in my utopian, non austerity twaddle, government ).

Norman H wrote: Better still give your time rather than your money. An ethic that many who presently take money out of the charity sector would do well to follow.

Yes this then allows you to see exactly the result of your efforts, if you can, and you know the value of the currency... time. Many CEO's would, if going into a charity environment for ethical reasons, take a very small salary and also join in with volunteering activities. But for most, if not all, it's just another job. I do like, from a volunteering aspect, to see the paid employees of the charity getting involved and getting hands dirty. Sometimes volunteers can be seen as a means to undertaking the tasks no one else wants to do.

TonyR wrote: "get my friends to sponsor my foreign cycling holiday in the name of charity fundraising"

Yes this is a little galling. I also found the opposite in that there were many good rides where a charity could have used my body to promote their cause( in the nicest possible taste :) ), but I could not get involved as I could not have raised the sponsorship to cover my entry costs( from lack of a good social network ). Today with the internet many use just giving etc and perhaps there is more scope. If I was a multimillionaire I'd be off doing all manner of charitable things, if people wanted my help. Just good fun - a win win all around.

Where wills are concerned I have some serious planning to work out as to how my wishes will be carried out. As indicated a worthy cause may change it's values several years after your demise to something you wouldn't approve of. Anyway we'll be in paradise so who cares :D .