CTC now recruiting a new Membership Officer

SA_SA_SA

CTC now recruiting a new Membership Officer

Post by SA_SA_SA »

http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/vacancies

Is that optimistic? :)

I wonder why the last person left?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
vollerama

Re: CTC now recruiting a new Membership Officer

Post by vollerama »

Who knows? Could be they're dealing with a backlog of cancellations or are anticipating a surge in requests to join following the re-launch next month.

EDIT - deleted section on membership cancellation problems as now resolved.
Last edited by vollerama on 17 Mar 2016, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
robgul

Post by robgul »

vollerama wrote: . . . Membership cancellation problems withdrawn . . .

I cancelled my membership last November and was given an 8/12ths refund within 2 days ... have to say I was surprised, but I have the money :)

In fairness your early renewal is probably foxing them .... you should be able to sort it and get a 100% refund.

Rob

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Deadline today! Bit late to post it now!

In fairness, do we know for certain that this vacancy is due to the previous person leaving? It might be an additional position. (No, I haven't read the docs, got better things to do.)
vollerama

Post by vollerama »

robgul wrote:
I cancelled my membership last November and was given an 8/12ths refund within 2 days ... have to say I was surprised, but I have the money :)

In fairness your early renewal is probably foxing them .... you should be able to sort it and get a 100% refund.

Rob

Quite right, Rob. After replying to the original email where they stated no refunds, they took my point about essentially not "starting" my renewed period and have since agreed to give me a full refund. Ho hum, all's well that ends well.

Paul
robgul

Post by robgul »

vollerama wrote:
robgul wrote:

Rob

Quite right, Rob. After replying to the original email where they stated no refunds, they took my point about essentially not "starting" my renewed period and have since agreed to give me a full refund. Ho hum, all's well that ends well.

Paul

That's good .... perhaps the person that gave me the instant, no questions asked refund was on the way out and the job ad is the replacement :twisted:

I did actually look at the membership Ts&Cs first and there's no mention of refunds/cancellation either way.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It is interesting because others who have left part way through their subscription (due to being unhappy about the actions and direction of the Club) report having got pro-rata refunds.

Maybe the refusal to refund represents a change of attitude in that there is more pressure on finances and more of a "it's a donation" rather than "it's a membership fee". There would seem more of a justification to refund a part used "membership fee" whilst "all donations are final".

Ian
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

And now its gone. Briefly advertise then hand the position to the right kind of 'chap' , bonuses all round yah !

possibly
Graham

Post by Graham »

fishfright wrote:And now its gone. Briefly advertise then hand the position to the right kind of 'chap' , bonuses all round yah !

possibly

Not a fair comment. We don't know for how long it was advertised.
I have heard no evidence whatsoever of incorrect recruitment practices for CTC staff.
Last edited by Graham on 18 Mar 2016, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction grammar
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Graham wrote:
fishfright wrote:And now its gone. Briefly advertise then hand the position to the right kind of 'chap' , bonuses all round yah !

possibly

Not a fair comment. We don't know how long it was advertised for publicly.
I have heard no evidence whatsoever of incorrect recruitment practices for CTC staff.

It's sarcasm based on experience of the 3rd sector, hence the possibly
gaz

Post by gaz »

Advertised since 3 March 2016.
Membership Officer.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:Advertised since 3 March 2016.
Membership Officer.jpg

That is not long to get a wide number of applicants in, get applications/CVs prepared, sent in, looked over, interview people, etc. 2 weeks! I feel the suspicion is justified with timescales like that.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Reviewing the applications and CVs received, shortlisting and interviewing can all happen after the deadline for receipt of applications has closed.

I honestly have no idea how the two week advertising window for the vacancy compares with other employers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:Reviewing the applications and CVs received, shortlisting and interviewing can all happen after the deadline for receipt of applications has closed.

I honestly have no idea how the two week advertising window for the vacancy compares with other employers.

When we recruited people we always had a much longer time for applicants to apply. We wanted good people and having such a short time window only restricts the numbers applying. To me such a short window is "going through the motions" making it look like a position open to anybody when they already have the selected person before even starting.

Ian
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

possibly

Have you ever been inside head office?

I'm lucky enough to have been a regular visitor when I have volunteered on some projects, It's certainly not all chaps and most certainly not all 'stereotypical cyclist types' either.