advice on titanium tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Miguel Evans

advice on titanium tourer

Post by Miguel Evans »

A bit embarrassing really, but on Friday I did something I have not done for more than 40 years - planted my bike into the back of a car. The driver was very nice (although failed to explain why they stopped in the middle of the road). I apologised profusely, and then realised that this shunt had sheared the top tube of my 20+ year old Raleigh Randonneur. (no damage to car/people). But, every cloud as they say. This gives me the chance to build/buy a titanium/steel tourer with disc brakes that can accommodate a front low rider. I do want something light as I do most of my commuting on the tourer (well, I used to). Any suggestions. I am sort of tempted to go for 105 rim brakes as these perform so well on my other bike. Any views? I guess I'll end up spending £2k ish.
IanW

Re: advice on titanium tourer

Post by IanW »

Or if you really like the 105 brakes (and are planning on moving rack(s) etc across to the new bike
how about this http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b17s21p2868
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

We still love our Burls Ti Tourers with Ti forks. more info at http://www.burls.co.uk
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

+1

I've never had a Spa Titanium, but on the strength of comments from, and experiences of, cycling colleagues who have, Spa is the first place I'd look if I had the OP's question.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Van Nicholas Yukon - or look at a Lynskey Ti with disc brakes

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Litespeed Blueridge is good - been fully loaded for a few holidays.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

andrewjoseph wrote:We still love our Burls Ti Tourers with Ti forks. more info at http://www.burls.co.uk

...is where I'd be headed if I were in the OP's position, also.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

I love my do-it-all Van Nic Yukon, but I dont think they make or are compatible with disc brakes?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

+1 for a Van Nic Yukon. Mine has mostly 105 components and with the carbon forks is light and gives a really comfy ride. Its more an Audax bike than a full on tourer but its works fine for light touring.
geomannie
Miguel Evans

Post by Miguel Evans »

just thought I would refresh this with a bit of an update. I purchased a Genesis Croix de Fer 30; the steel one as I don't think I could have slept in my tent with so much titanium cash value chained outside to a sapling. The bike is fine, but heavy. The 105 groupset is faultless, and the disc brakes put all of my other calliper braked bikes to shame. I have also become used to the 32 tooth cog, even though I thought I would need a 34. Only done 1 tour to date, but fully loaded front and back, I didn't need a 34. Didn't need all the other small cogs either - can't pedal a fully laden tourer that fast.
I swopped the 37mm tyres for a pair of 28s, but the vibration through the bars became a bit serious. This is a stiff front end. Back on 37s now and although I may be going slower (?), I am happier.
The other thing that I might have considered was just buying the frame and building it up. I can't see how they get from a £399 frame to a bike costing £1700. I could have build one better and cheaper.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the 'bad vibes on 28s' thing is IMHO very common with disc braked bikes because the forks are probably a lot stiffer than on your old bike. You will probably be going a little bit slower on 37s (even good 37s) except on rougher road surfaces, but with stiffer forks it doesn't feel like you have that much of a choice.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

A titanium frame would have saved you maybe 500g, which is practically nothing when you take into account the weight of the rest of the bike, the baggage and, of course, yourself. It would not feel any better.

My main problem with wider tyres is that they are also softer (you can't pump them up as hard) and on tyres below about 80psi I find I get a bouncing effect going on.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

With respect to the cost. I had a touring bike built up from the Croix de Fer frame by my local bike shop early this year. I opted for TRP Spyre brakes and a rather unusual SRAM road/mtb setup that used SRAM road shifters but with SRAM MTB gearing to give me the low gears I wanted. The bike has the Genesis steel forks and is the 725 frame. The wheels are the same as ones fitted to the 2016 CdF. The total came to just under £1000. Not sure what your CdF 30 came with in terms of extras, but I needed to add mudguards and front and rear racks (Tubus in my case), which probably added another £150 to the total.

I've found the bike to be great for touring on using 35C hypers and I've recently switched to a lighter set of wheels (about 1Kg lighter!) and a set of 32c hypers and am using the bike as my winter bike. I love the ride (I do tend to ride relatively low tyre pressures around 40/50psi). I can happily keep up with my club mates on social/winter runs. It's not the lightest of bikes though!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Oh but I must admit, I'm still rather tempted by a Ti based bike. I love the look of them. But I'd need it to have a fork that could take front panniers, preferably with a Tubus Duo. I clicked on this thread hoping to see what it was you had chosen! One day perhaps!